For those of you too young to remember...

knapplc

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

When we joined the big 10, this is what we all thought games vs NW, Minny, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana and MSU would look like, for the most part.

This was a rare opinion that got a LOT of air time. And Nebraska opponents like to amplify the few who actually verbalized this.

We hadn't dominated anyone in over a decade when we joined the Big Ten. Most people didn't have any idea how our style of play would translate into the new conference. 

The vast majority of fans adopted a wait-and-see attitude. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

This was a rare opinion that got a LOT of air time. And Nebraska opponents like to amplify the few who actually verbalized this.

We hadn't dominated anyone in over a decade when we joined the Big Ten. Most people didn't have any idea how our style of play would translate into the new conference. 

The vast majority of fans adopted a wait-and-see attitude. 

No way, most fans said "Oh my god, NU has all these speed, especially guys from Texas, these slow lame Big Ten teams will never catch up to NU"

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No way, most fans said "Oh my god, NU has all these speed, especially guys from Texas, these slow lame Big Ten teams will never catch up to NU"

I think you're remembering a vocal minority. 

I looked through a bunch of other threads from May/June 2010. I didn't see anyone saying what you're saying. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I think you're remembering a vocal minority. 

I looked through a bunch of other threads from May/June 2010. I didn't see anyone saying what you're saying. 

Very true. Most of us thought we would do better than we have- but it wasn't like it was the mid 90s and we were mauling everyone. It was wait and see- but with some confidence we would consistently be vying for Division titles. Just not in a dominating fashion. 

In BASEBALL - some may have had that thought, but not football. 

14 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yeah, I felt the need to bring it up since I keep hearing 'we haven't done anything like this in so long'.

The scores may be similar but I still feel the team performed better in this NW game. Maybe it’s recency bias? Maybe it’s that there has been too much suck since that Maryland game but I just don’t recall us dominating them in the same way? Maybe it’s that I expect more from NW (even as horrible as they have been this year) based on how close our games have been with them? Maybe it’s that I want to think we may be turning the corner finally?

I’m not sure what it is but I liked it and it sure beats the hell out of what this team has had a tendency towards. Not sure a score alone can capture the essence. Hopefully it wasn’t a one off.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

When we joined the big 10, this is what we all thought games vs NW, Minny, Purdue, Iowa, Indiana and MSU would look like, for the most part.

You’re getting some flack for this but I sort of agree. Sure Nebraska had their problems at that time but I think most people felt that we would be regularly dominating those teams within 2-3-4 years. 

The problem isn’t that those teams are great, maybe a bit better than we gave them credit for but not great. Nebraska has been the outlier problem in this equation. Honestly, I still don’t fear those teams based on how good they are. The only respect I have for them is that they’ve managed to be more stable than Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

You can argue about the degree but I do think most people thought we would fare pretty well.  We had been to the last two Big XII Championship games and could easily have won both.  And the B1G was seen as down at the time.

To be fair, we went 3-1 against that crew in 2011 and 4-0 in 2012 with the one loss being to NW by three points so we didn't have all that much trouble early on.

• Oh Yeah! 1

As soon as Russell Wilson led the Badgers up and down the field on us in 2011, I knew the B1G was a very competitive conference, and Pelini (at the time) was definitely going to have to change a good chunk of his defensive strategy to be in the running for the conference championship. That game in particular, if we didn't turn the ball over so much, I think we could've kept it within a score.

It looks like Chinander has a recruiting and schematic formula to match up fairly well to the B1G. Getting guys like Daniels at nose is a big deal. Frost is...getting there.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

As soon as Russell Wilson led the Badgers up and down the field on us in 2011, I knew the B1G was a very competitive conference, and Pelini (at the time) was definitely going to have to change a good chunk of his defensive strategy to be in the running for the conference championship. That game in particular, if we didn't turn the ball over so much, I think we could've kept it within a score.

It looks like Chinander has a recruiting and schematic formula to match up fairly well to the B1G. Getting guys like Daniels at nose is a big deal. Frost is...getting there.

Yeah I think NU might have been a slight favorite in that game?

35 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You’re getting some flack for this but I sort of agree. Sure Nebraska had their problems at that time but I think most people felt that we would be regularly dominating those teams within 2-3-4 years. 

The problem isn’t that those teams are great, maybe a bit better than we gave them credit for but not great. Nebraska has been the outlier problem in this equation. Honestly, I still don’t fear those teams based on how good they are. The only respect I have for them is that they’ve managed to be more stable than Nebraska.

The truth is that pretty much all Husker fans ripped on the slow Big Ten and especially the lame teams in the conference.  

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Very true. Most of us thought we would do better than we have- but it wasn't like it was the mid 90s and we were mauling everyone. It was wait and see- but with some confidence we would consistently be vying for Division titles. Just not in a dominating fashion. 

In BASEBALL - some may have had that thought, but not football. 

Totally forgot about the baseball talk!  So true!