Some more crazy stats on the Huskers under Frost

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Loyalty to Frost has very little to do with my current support. My support comes from the absolute fact that constant coaching turnover has done nothing for our program but drive us further into the abyss for 20 freaking years. The only thing we haven't tried is giving someone the time to rebuild and grow. 

Thought about this last night. What if Callahan had kept Pelini on instead of bringing Cosgrove? Probably would have rocked it.

What if instead of replacing Callahan, Pelini was brought on as Co-headcoach/ d coordinator. - 

Pelini had his time. Some of us think he should have gotten more. 

Riley was too damn old to grow.

Each time we jettisoned the coach though, Nebraska paid out contracts to get WORSE. 

I've already said, the storms Frost has weathered, the schedules he faced, that statistically we are one of the top 5 teams performance wise - and did this against the hardest schedule in the land, gets him another year.

Next year, Northwestern is the first test. WIN and we are undefeated heading into Oklahoma. Lose, and we better have a dang good showing against OK, and got 8-4 or better, or else I'll 99% agree Frost has earned his pink slip.

If this were transition for transition sake alone, I would tend to agree with you.  Doing so can be disruptive.  However, football coaching is an unkind, unemotional, results-oriented business.  Coach Lombardi once said that "while winning isn't everything, it is the only thing" when it comes to football.  You may find that statement stark, direct, and lacking in compassion, but that is the reality.  When you accept this assignment, and the $5 million annual salary, folks rightly expect results.  To date, given all the resources provided (monetary, facilities, recruiting, academic support, fan support, etc.), I would give this staff a failing grade in terms of results.

What concerns me most about your argument is your last passage.  You are already laying the groundwork, perhaps unknowingly, for a SIXTH Year!  If the body of work remains the same, 0.500 or worse, than you should not be 99% behind removal, but 100%. 

Performance in individual games in Year 5 matter little to me next to the body of work.  Let's not play that game...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

If this were transition for transition sake alone, I would tend to agree with you.  Doing so can be disruptive.  However, football coaching is an unkind, unemotional, results-oriented business.  Coach Lombardi once said that "while winning isn't everything, it is the only thing" when it comes to football.  You may find that statement stark, direct, and lacking in compassion, but that is the reality.  When you accept this assignment, and the $5 million annual salary, folks rightly expect results.  To date, given all the resources provided (monetary, facilities, recruiting, academic support, fan support, etc.), I would give this staff a failing grade in terms of results.

What concerns me most about your argument is your last passage.  You are already laying the groundwork, perhaps unknowingly, for a SIXTH Year!  If the body of work remains the same, 0.500 or worse, than you should not be 99% behind removal, but 100%. 

Performance in individual games in Year 5 matter little to me next to the body of work.  Let's not play that game...

Fair enough, I could have said 100% at .500 or better. I said 99% at anything below 8-4 because flukes could happen where a 7-5 record could win the division. That would put me on the fence. 

17 hours ago, lo country said:

If you removed those 27 points, the Blackshirt defense would rise from 26th nationally in scoring defense to 12th.

Conjecture from statistics like that are absolute crap. This is what politicians do! Did you figure out what the rating would be IF an additional 14 points were scored. I would argue that would be far more likely than erasing all 27 points. No statistic will cover up the wins and losses, unless you are a “moral victory” guy like Frost and his merry band of misfits.

Quit making excuse for the dumpster fire happening in Lincoln! Do the rest of the B1G a favor and get a coach in there that not only does not embarrass Nebraska, but the whole league. That said, maybe just keep replaying the sam old press conference about “warriors”, “getting closer”, and “great week in practice”. The last time I looked, nobody really cares about those, just wins and losses.

I am betting that negotiations are going on right now that will pay Frost a portion of his golden parachute if he just leaves. If he doesn’t, my bet is that he is fired with cause for breaking NCAA rules and gets what he deserves, nothing.

please stop the embarrassment to the league and make a move!

7 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Conjecture from statistics like that are absolute crap. This is what politicians do! Did you figure out what the rating would be IF an additional 14 points were scored. I would argue that would be far more likely than erasing all 27 points. No statistic will cover up the wins and losses, unless you are a “moral victory” guy like Frost and his merry band of misfits.

Quit making excuse for the dumpster fire happening in Lincoln! Do the rest of the B1G a favor and get a coach in there that not only does not embarrass Nebraska, but the whole league. That said, maybe just keep replaying the sam old press conference about “warriors”, “getting closer”, and “great week in practice”. The last time I looked, nobody really cares about those, just wins and losses.

I am betting that negotiations are going on right now that will pay Frost a portion of his golden parachute if he just leaves. If he doesn’t, my bet is that he is fired with cause for breaking NCAA rules and gets what he deserves, nothing.

You know, if you wanted to go away as fast as both the CYHawks top 10 rankings, that'd be great.

2Av9.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
58 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

I guess this is my first post you have read......Cuz I am not that guy....

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Fair enough, I could have said 100% at .500 or better. I said 99% at anything below 8-4 because flukes could happen where a 7-5 record could win the division. That would put me on the fence. 

Let me begin by saying that I sincerely respect your opinion.  That said, use of the term "fluke" is what gives folks such as myself pause when discussing the future with Coach Frost's supporters.  If using this approach as an overlay, one could argue that OU (blocked kick / return) was a fluke, MSU (wrong directional kick) was a fluke, MU (QB fumble) was a fluke, MN (safety) was a fluke, and Purdue (Pick Six) was a fluke.  

A fluke is a rare, unexpected one time occurrence.  Avoiding use of that term might be helpful in deciding the fate of this staff...

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Pelini did remarkably well in close/one score games. He was kind of the reverse Frost in this regard, pulling wins out of nowhere almost every time a game was close.

I'll never forget Bo Pelini telling Ameer Abdullah not to let himself get tackled in that last second win against McNeese State.

7 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Let me begin by saying that I sincerely respect your opinion.  That said, use of the term "fluke" is what gives folks such as myself pause when discussing the future with Coach Frost's supporters.  If using this approach as an overlay, one could argue that OU (blocked kick / return) was a fluke, MSU (wrong directional kick) was a fluke, MU (QB fumble) was a fluke, MN (safety) was a fluke, and Purdue (Pick Six) was a fluke.  

A fluke is a rare, unexpected one time occurrence.  Avoiding use of that term might be helpful in deciding the fate of this staff...

Ok, what say you. Frost goes 7-5,

Blows out Northwestern, North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Rutgers

Wins Convincingly against Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue

Loses to Iowa by last minute Hail Mary/ Kick and loses to Wisconsin by less than 7 

Loses to Indiana in Overtime, to Oklahoma and Michigan by less than 7

- Iowa and Wisconsin slip up elsewhere and Nebraska ends up winning the division with that record. 

- So we got 7-5 Nebraska with its first division winning season in what feels like forever 

- Lose the CCG to probably Ohio State -by 7-14 points and end up in a bowl game against Texas that just for sh!ts and giggles we win on a last minute kick.

We finish the season 8-6. 

At that point- I'd be on the fence about whether to keep him or not. I'd be on the fence if we went 7-5 and win the bowl game to go 8-5. Make a bowl game and lose at 7-6 I'd probably be back to the 100% 

Those are the only scenarios that less than 8-4 would make me not 100% certain a change should be made. 

49 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok, what say you. Frost goes 7-5,

Blows out Northwestern, North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Rutgers

Wins Convincingly against Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue

Loses to Iowa by last minute Hail Mary/ Kick and loses to Wisconsin by less than 7 

Loses to Indiana in Overtime, to Oklahoma and Michigan by less than 7

- Iowa and Wisconsin slip up elsewhere and Nebraska ends up winning the division with that record. 

- So we got 7-5 Nebraska with its first division winning season in what feels like forever 

- Lose the CCG to probably Ohio State -by 7-14 points and end up in a bowl game against Texas that just for sh!ts and giggles we win on a last minute kick.

We finish the season 8-6. 

At that point- I'd be on the fence about whether to keep him or not. I'd be on the fence if we went 7-5 and win the bowl game to go 8-5. Make a bowl game and lose at 7-6 I'd probably be back to the 100% 

Those are the only scenarios that less than 8-4 would make me not 100% certain a change should be made. 

There is no scenario in which Frost gets fired if he goes from 3 or 4 wins to 7 or 8 next, so if you think the weak schedule will lead to a winning season, you are ok with him getting a minimum 6th year (and probably a contract extension of a couple more years).

1 minute ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

There is no scenario in which Frost gets fired if he goes from 3 or 4 wins to 7 or 8 next, so if you think the weak schedule will lead to a winning season, you are ok with him getting a minimum 6th year (and probably a contract extension of a couple more years).

Here it is.  Do we win because we are better or because the schedule is weaker.....Because that's what a lot of folks are pointing to...Next year is a weaker schedule....This is Nebraska. I don't want my seasons to be puffed up by beating "lesser" schools (of which we are no one).  We haven't beat a P5 school with a winning record since 2018....In year one.  With a team full of other coaches guys AND guys with just one year under this staff (guys playing on instinct/previous coaching). If Frost pulls it out, I will be FLOORED.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll never forget Bo Pelini telling Ameer Abdullah not to let himself get tackled in that last second win against McNeese State.

I'd almost forgot NU got RB's like that.  haha.