Some more crazy stats on the Huskers under Frost

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And he increasingly comes across as someone who doesn't know what the answers are to getting to that breakout season. His last post game interview was evidence of this. 

I think his no fear of failure has translated to no accountability......No fear of losing........JoJo increasingly looks like he wants to lose his friggin mind in the pressers.  he gets it, but is too professional to air his concerns...

I think Frost believes he has done everything he can.  He has emptied his cup of knowledge, unfortunately the cup is not as large or deep as other coaches and it shows.... 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

That's where I am at.  This article, the one comparing him to his peers, the one talking about 1 score losses......Frost is dead last or in the bottom 3 in every category.  I mean like he could now (looking at NU time) as one of the worst HC's in football history......Dude statistically is an anomaly.  How can you be this bad year in and year out with the production we have.......And out talent.....I think he and the staff are in over their heads.  I think it's also scheme, play calling, lack of development, lack of accountability, etc.......I just don't know how Frost can get it fixed.  We seem to be getting worse as we progress....

This is where I am at now with Frost.  His career is a statistical anomaly, on the bad side.  That won't change, so it's time to let him go.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I believe it stems from doing everything “fast”. You miss little details. In coaching, the devil is in the details. 

Don't know if the staff still practices this way, but they used to correct mistakes in the film room.  Get more reps in practice.   I have never been a fan of this.  It creates (re-enforces) doing things the wrong way....

The research says, around 3000 to 5000 reps are enough to regain muscle memory. However, on average, if you wish to do it slowly, 300-500 repetitions develop a new motor pattern, with 3,000 to 5,000 repetitions required to erase and correct a flawed/bad/incorrect motor pattern.

Amateurs practice till they get it right; professionals practice till they can't get it wrong

The fans that wish to see a 5th year under this Coach are loyal to Scott Frost the player, the ambassador and the native son.  Performance metrics have little to do with their reasoning.

In the end, I think it is for this reason that we end up with a 5th year.  To me the better question is whether these loyalists are prepared to accept and even embrace transition following a similar 2022.  For the compensation being offered, it is unreasonable to continue pushing back the horizon of success any further.

People quickly forget, but Alabama under Dennis Franchione and later Mike Shula underperformed as a program for years.  Shula (a former Tide Quarterback and son of legendary coach Don Shula) had the coaching pedigree and university ties necessary to achieve great success (sound familiar?).  What resulted were 3 poor seasons and 1 bowl appearance under Shula.  Absent the bowl appearance, this story feels very familiar.  My point is, Alabama was prepared to go all in for a return to success and we should do no less.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, All Hail Herbie said:

The fans that wish to see a 5th year under this Coach are loyal to Scott Frost the player, the ambassador and the native son.  Performance metrics have little to do with their reasoning.

In the end, I think it is for this reason that we end up with a 5th year.  To me the better question is whether these loyalists are prepared to accept and even embrace transition following a similar 2022.  For the compensation being offered, it is unreasonable to continue pushing back the horizon of success any further.

People quickly forget, but Alabama under Dennis Franchione and later Mike Shula underperformed as a program for years.  Shula (a former Tide Quarterback and son of legendary coach Don Shula) had the coaching pedigree and university ties necessary to achieve great success (sound familiar?).  What resulted were 3 poor seasons and 1 bowl appearance under Shula.  Absent the bowl appearance, this story feels very familiar.  My point is, Alabama was prepared to go all in for a return to success and we should do no less.

Loyalty to Frost has very little to do with my current support. My support comes from the absolute fact that constant coaching turnover has done nothing for our program but drive us further into the abyss for 20 freaking years. The only thing we haven't tried is giving someone the time to rebuild and grow. 

Thought about this last night. What if Callahan had kept Pelini on instead of bringing Cosgrove? Probably would have rocked it.

What if instead of replacing Callahan, Pelini was brought on as Co-headcoach/ d coordinator. - 

Pelini had his time. Some of us think he should have gotten more. 

Riley was too damn old to grow.

Each time we jettisoned the coach though, Nebraska paid out contracts to get WORSE. 

I've already said, the storms Frost has weathered, the schedules he faced, that statistically we are one of the top 5 teams performance wise - and did this against the hardest schedule in the land, gets him another year.

Next year, Northwestern is the first test. WIN and we are undefeated heading into Oklahoma. Lose, and we better have a dang good showing against OK, and got 8-4 or better, or else I'll 99% agree Frost has earned his pink slip.

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

The "luck" factor has been terrible since Solich. 

According to your mind, maybe.  But, here is NU's luck factor according to TeamRankings.com, which is the basis of Dirk's article today.  It goes back to 2003.  NU has had some pretty good years in here.

2003 - #15 - Solich's final year.  Somewhat shows that his 10-3 record may have been smoke & mirrors.

2004 - #52

2005 - #11 - Callahan's 2nd year, and didn't turn it on until the end of year.  Maybe luck helped?

2006 - #86

2007 - #58 - luck wasn't much of a factor in Callahan's final season

2008 - #27

2009 - #82 - season could have been special with some more breaks (and a better offense)

2010 - #85 - see 2009

2011 - #26 

2012 - #16 - Bo's only Big Ten Division title may have been helped with luck, as they ran off a bunch of wins in a row before the CCG.

2013 - #31

2014 - #75 - Bo's last season.

2015 - #125 - Riley's first season.  Another NU season filled with grabbing defeat out of the jaws of victory.

2016 - #8 - Riley's 2nd season shows that his 9-4 record was helped with some good fortune.

2017 - #42

2018 - #118 - Frost Year 1

2019 - #114 - Frost Year 2

2020 - #75 - Frost Year 3

2021 - #130 (dead last) - Frost Year 4

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

That's where I am at.  This article, the one comparing him to his peers, the one talking about 1 score losses......Frost is dead last or in the bottom 3 in every category.  I mean like he could now (looking at NU time) as one of the worst HC's in football history......Dude statistically is an anomaly.  How can you be this bad year in and year out with the production we have.......And out talent.....I think he and the staff are in over their heads.  I think it's also scheme, play calling, lack of development, lack of accountability, etc.......I just don't know how Frost can get it fixed.  We seem to be getting worse as we progress....

I think that may be because we're seeing him at his best at Nebraska in the B1G.  And this is about it:  Close games against worthy opponents, other losses where we should have won, handful of wins.   If he remains with Nebraska at best he will be one of the many 5-8 wins per year coaches in the conference.  Bowl games most years.. so he'll hang on under the new sized down hopes we have for the program now that we've been so bad for so long. 

3 hours ago, soup said:

Most of the stats that Dirk lists here have been bad or worse for the past 20 years though.  How do you explain that.  We've had 5 different coaches and Turnover margin has sucked badly.  Special teams ratings have sucked badly.  All of that shows that something is systemically broken within Husker football, and 5 coaches have yet to get it fixed. 

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  (and yes I'm fully aware that argument can be made against keeping Frost next year as well)  I get it.  most of you are done with Frost.  I can see that point, but there is much more at play here than just the record.  And I truly hope that if a decision is made either way that it is made with the best intentions of the Husker program and not because of looking at ONLY the W/L record.

I would point to the two data points about Luck and see the other two really bad ratings and see what happens the next year.

You can take that paragraph and argue that indeed Frost is closer than the standings indicate. That once his team breaks through mentally, the record will improve dramatically. Paul Johnson followed his 3-9 season at Georgia Tech with 9-4. Brian Kelly followed his 4-8 season with 10-3 in 2017, then 12-1.

We were ranked #1 in the country in special teams in 2014, Bo's last year.  Riley was mid 30's all 3 years in ST.  Frost has been 110+ all 4 years and dead last this year.  Turnovers have been an issue but one of these things is not like the others and they W/L record is proving it.

• Plus1 3