Conference Realignment Rumors

The less popular schools are starting to figure out the endgame.

“It’s only a matter of time before the Darwinism of the elite programs chasing more and more revenue are directed by their television and broadcast gods to create one ultimate college league.

Why does, for instance, an Ohio State need to waste its time with Northwestern on the schedule when it could be matched up week after week with high-profile programs like USC or LSU or Texas?”

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/columnists/c-l-brown/2023/08/17/conference-realignment-future-kentucky-louisville-football-sec-acc-risk/70585533007/

47 minutes ago, nic said:

The less popular schools are starting to figure out the endgame.

“It’s only a matter of time before the Darwinism of the elite programs chasing more and more revenue are directed by their television and broadcast gods to create one ultimate college league.

Why does, for instance, an Ohio State need to waste its time with Northwestern on the schedule when it could be matched up week after week with high-profile programs like USC or LSU or Texas?”

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/columnists/c-l-brown/2023/08/17/conference-realignment-future-kentucky-louisville-football-sec-acc-risk/70585533007/

One of the reasons 'why' they will still need them, and hopefully have enough sense not to kick them to the curb, is that top programs are only top because there is a bottom.

If you cut out all the bottom feeders, then all of the sudden you might be the bottom feeder, and for a (I think) notable amount of cfb fans especially of premiere programs, going from a perennial 11+ win team to the average being 7-5 or 8-4 will be a horrendous pill to swallow.

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

One of the reasons 'why' they will still need them, and hopefully have enough sense not to kick them to the curb, is that top programs are only top because there is a bottom.

If you cut out all the bottom feeders, then all of the sudden you might be the bottom feeder, and for a (I think) notable amount of cfb fans especially of premiere programs, going from a perennial 11+ win team to the average being 7-5 or 8-4 will be a horrendous pill to swallow.

Yep. There can be no elite programs without some bottom dwellers. If it’s all top 20 vs top 20, there's gonna be a lot of .500 +/- teams at the end of the day. I guess it works for the NFL but it’s not what I want to see in CFB. And I don’t think a bunch of .500 matchups is what the networks want to continue paying for. I guess it remains to be seen if everyone involved is smart enough to figure that out before it’s too late.

25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. There can be no elite programs without some bottom dwellers. If it’s all top 20 vs top 20, there's gonna be a lot of .500 +/- teams at the end of the day. I guess it works for the NFL but it’s not what I want to see in CFB. And I don’t think a bunch of .500 matchups is what the networks want to continue paying for. I guess it remains to be seen if everyone involved is smart enough to figure that out before it’s too late.

That is what I was going to say….works in the NFL. NFL has a draft and scheduling rules that help level the field somewhat. Will we get to a point where a few schools get the boot to make room? We joke about Rutgers a lot. Do we need 3 Indiana schools if we bring in ND? I don’t know.

• Plus1 1
On 8/17/2023 at 9:32 AM, RedDenver said:

"Notre Dame-Stanford football series, which has been played every year since 1988"

Who cares? That's got to be way down the list of longest series.

Our administrators and their brown noses.  I don't know whether to be surprised that the southern wing of the ACC seems to have no interest in academic schmoozing. 

https://thespun.com/.amp/college-football/big-ten-could-ultimately-force-notre-dame-to-join-conference

Not sure I agree on using Stanford to the Big Ten to lure Notre Dame, but ND is going to need relevant games on the schedule in order for NBC to pay the $. If Stanford doesn't find a home or become a dominant independent, that game will not mean much in the future.... Although the Navy ND game might be drawing viewers. What might flush ND is if their access to playoff money is restricted by super conferences.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Since 1988?  Every year?  Really?

Did anyone know that at all?

Didn't know the year they started, but knew they played every year.

I grew up in Michigan....there were more ND fans in my graduating class than there were MSU fans.

• Thanks 1