Nebraska launches official NIL marketplace for Husker student-athletes

Apparently 'Rent-A-Husker' wasn't available?

Nebraska launches official NIL marketplace for Husker student-athletes

The University of Nebraska has created the Nebraska Huskers Marketplace, one of the first licensed school NIL marketplaces in college sports. The website is powered by Opendorse and will help Husker student-athletes benefit from their name, image and likeness.

The marketplace gives Nebraska fans, brands and sponsors the ability to browse, book, pitch and pay any Husker student-athletes for NIL activities in one platform.

All current Husker student-athletes can be found in the Nebraska Huskers Marketplace. In addition, former Nebraska athletes who use Opendorse can also be accessed through the marketplace.

“Our new Nebraska Huskers Marketplace will streamline the NIL process for both our student-athletes and for those who want to connect with them for opportunities. This is another valuable tool to assist our student-athletes in maximizing their NIL opportunities,” Nebraska Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Trev Alberts said. “We are proud to expand our relationship with Opendorse. As a Lincoln-based company, Opendorse has played a vital role in establishing Nebraska as a national leader in the NIL space.”

Through the Nebraska Huskers Marketplace, every Nebraska athlete will receive an Opendorse profile, which they can customize and promote to fans on their personal social media channels. When offered a NIL deal, athletes receive a notification through the Opendorse app, where they can choose to accept and complete the opportunity. Once completed, the student-athlete immediately receives compensation to their account and can automatically disclose their activity to Nebraska Athletics.

• Plus1 2

Anyone else get the feeling that we're trying to be too creative and cutting edge with this stuff? 

A&M showed how to do it, and it's not complicated. Now I'm not happy about the current wild west landscape of it, but it's here and we have to adjust if we want to stay competitive. 

Maybe things like this will help, but I'm a bit skeptical.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Anyone else get the feeling that we're trying to be too creative and cutting edge with this stuff? 

A&M showed how to do it, and it's not complicated. Now I'm not happy about the current wild west landscape of it, but it's here and we have to adjust if we want to stay competitive. 

I think that's possible, but at the end of the day the message we're trying to send is to recruits:

At Nebraska, we fully embrace NIL and we're committed to doing what we can to maximize your earnings potential. 

I think Nebraska's best chance to compete is to do exactly what they're doing. 

• Plus1 2

Focus the dollars towards the contributors and new recruits.  Create rewards systems for plates of the day, lettermen, leading tacklers, yards after contact, best this and that, things.  Position by position. This can be really helpful and fair to all the athletes.  Community involvement.  Academics.  No end to the ideas etc.  athlete of the week honors.  Only limited by the imagination essentially.   
Team mate awards. Team selections.  Post grad scholarships.    That’s about 3 minutes of thinking.  Create a council of players (unity for example) and revolving staff.  Faculty advisers.  

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Why not be creative?

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

IDK, maybe?

It is the wild west and I’m not too fond of the aTm approach. 

Maybe the solution is for Opendorse to purchase a bunch of MacDonalds sacks, boosters can fill them with cash and student athletes can be engaged to NIL deals to carry them off.

College sports pretty much suck anymore.

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought the athletic program couldn’t be this involved. 

I'm guessing the work-around is the athletic department isn't setting up the NIL deals, they are setting up the avenue to find the NIL deals.  It would technically be Opendorse "setting up the deal."

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm guessing the work-around is the athletic department isn't setting up the NIL deals, they are setting up the avenue to find the NIL deals.  It would technically be Opendorse "setting up the deal."

The webpage is Opendore's not NUs https://app.opendorse.com/shop/nebraska-huskers

Poking around, some of the fees to pitch ideas to the athletes are odd

Caleb Tannor $136

Nash Hutmacher $103

Garrett Nelson $70

Whitney Lauenstein $70

Madi Kubik $36

Casey Thompson $30

Jaz Shelly $30

They also have some former Huskers

Lexi Sun $6,661

Lauren Stivrins $36

Bryce McGowens $30