If the Huskers add Washington and Wynn do they end up top 8 transfer class?

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree with much of this, but one of the reasons Nebraska had bad running back numbers and great rushing quarterback numbers is because the coaches willfully allowed Adrian to shoulder too much of the running game. When Yant or Rahmir had a breakout game, they disappeared the next game. Some of it was injuries. Some of it was hard to figure out. 

Adrian Martinez, like Tommy Armstrong, Taylor Martinez, and Eric Crouch for that matter, had careers at Nebraska they wouldn't have had at most other schools thanks to a system that accommodated dual threat QBs without demanding elite passing skills. 

AM at K-State is a great test of this. I wish him well, but I'm almost certain this is his last season outside of Arena football perhaps. His game doesn't translate to the NFL. 

I think Casey Thompson might enjoy Frost's and Whipple's system, especially as it adjusts to his skillset. It's all about decision making. 

I agree it’s all about decision making by QBs and the other skill positions but it is also about Frost’s decision making mostly.  

Can you describe what you see, or believe since we haven’t seen it yet, to be the “Frost and Whipple system” ?   I think this is the most important change (if it a change) for this fall.  It is what has me most anxious and concerned and my hopes are still fading I’m sorry to say. 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand recruiting rankings do not matter but getting players like Ochaun Mathis who are established players do help now imo. Casey Thompson I know his thumb injury put a damper on his stats and Texas season but the throw he made in the spring game, Adrian Martinez never made here. So yes I agree with you that this team has to develop but I also believe that they have put young men in place to succeed they just got to step up and do it.

Sure they need the Jimmies and Joes. But my point is the coaches need to actually get something out of them in a Nebraska uniform before any recruiting rankings or portal class rankings mean anything. By all class ranking accounts we’ve been doing better than most teams in the conference….with nothing to show for it.

I’m intrigued whenever we add somebody like Mathis or any player that looks to be good in a position of need but I don’t care at all if they deem it a #1 portal class or #30. It doesn’t mean squat until the staff actually does something with them.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Well they moved from 10 to 7 not bc of Wynn commitment bc they haven't added his rating but bc of Kaine Williams commitment. We could possible end up with a top 5 transfer class when it's all said and done and yes I know everyone wants to see results but imo that's super impressive to be able to get those young men on to the team. It really says alot about the work they put in to try and make the team way better then what it was.

• Plus1 1

Nebraska with adding both will be in the top 6 transfer portal classes I believe once it's all said and done. Wow I couldn't be more excited they really got high quality young men to come here and play. Husker nation drink that Kool-aid!!!!! It speaks volumes on how hard they have worked to prepare to be successful and all I can say is great job well done. :D

On 5/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you have a good year in the portal, and those guys get you to seven or eight wins, but they're only around for another year while your younger recruits start testing the portal looking for more playing time or better NIL deals, and you're right back to the portal looking for unhappy players to fill your gaps, and four year player development becomes a quaint notion, what are you building and who are you rooting for? 

That's where establishing a winning system and pedigree come into play. If our staff can show they can develop players that perform at the next level (e.g. NFL, XFL, USFL, LFL...whatever) then you'll have kids that will be willing to ride pine because the coaches they're playing for have a proven track record. 

Yes, there will be some kids that always take the short picture and want/need to play right away, and that's okay. These kids come from different backgrounds with different needs and situations/concerns. Kids that take the long view, though...when our coaches start proving it on the field and in the next level then we'll have more kids stay that we'll be able to develop. 

First things first...this program needs to get back to a winning season, ASAP. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Nebraska with adding both will be in the top 6 transfer portal classes I believe once it's all said and done. Wow I couldn't be more excited they really got high quality young men to come here and play. Husker nation drink that Kool-aid!!!!! It speaks volumes on how hard they have worked to prepare to be successful and all I can say is great job well done. :D

There is zero doubt in my mind now that you are actually Scott Frost.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Nearly everyone on this board are big Huskers fans and want them to have every possible success, across all sports, every day.  Where we may not always agree on who, what, when how and why, the intent and goal is the same.  

For 50 years, I’ve been a die hard.  Until very recently, I tended to be optimistic and bullish despite some concerns that, in hindsight, I should have tempered my hopes to a more realistic, honest level.  I completely understand the desire and urge to be positive etc.  

However, at a certain point, cold hard facts, looked at objectively, can’t be dismissed lightly.  I think this is where Trev and his overseers that make the big decisions are at now.  Nobody wants Frost to fail.  But no other coach in the country has been given this much grace and latitude frankly. It’s almost unheard of in modern day college sports.  At some point, it becomes clear, it is not working and no reasonable hope for something better can support the cost and downside risks.  

This is where we are at, imo.   Hopefully, all the changes are enough.  Casey Thompson has got to come thru.  Raiola has to work wonders. STs have to be dramatically better.  Chins gotta replace some very key players.  Whipple and Frost have to pull some rabbits out of helmets.  And we need weather, injuries and officials to be lots more friendly all season.  There is no room for errors and the luck of the Irish needs to follow them home from Ireland.  

Hopin. Prayin. Wishin. Wantin.  Dreamin.  But I gave up the Kool Aid guzzlin. 

• Plus1 1