What's going on at Northwestern?

This is more than a dumpster fire. With the announcement of 8 players now set to sue the university I think it's more than just football staff. The athletic department right now is in disarray I'm sure. Not sure if a private university like Northwestern can overcome this sizable hurdle. Most certainly it won't be easy.

@ColoradoHusk to quote you:

All Northwestern is doing now is trying someway to salvage this season, keep the roster intact the best they can, and keep the stadium project going. 

I believe the administration has put a freeze on the stadium project. CBS Chicago News Link

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

This is more than a dumpster fire. With the announcement of 8 players now set to sue the university I think it's more than just football staff. The athletic department right now is in disarray I'm sure. Not sure if a private university like Northwestern can overcome this sizable hurdle. Most certainly it won't be easy.

@ColoradoHusk to quote you:

I believe the administration has put a freeze on the stadium project. CBS Chicago News Link

Thanks for the update.  I'm sure the Northwestern admins (Athletic Director, University President/Chancellor, ect) are trying to figure out to keep the damages to a minimum, and some way to keep their jobs.  Like you said, this has gone from a dumpster fire to the whole athletic department on fire, with the goal of saving the entire campus.

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

EDIT: Just like coaching hires can rarely be completed before the end of the regular season, coaching staffs can't be fired 2 weeks before the start of training camp.

To be clear, they can be fired 2 weeks before the start of camp, but it would be really inconvenient and drastic for them to do so. 

Pretty glaring inconsistency to fire the head coach (after only suspending him) for negligence and ignorance at best and toxic direct influence at worst, but then to pretend that all of the rest of the coaches weren't also either ignorant or negligent or involved in all of this. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

To be clear, they can be fired 2 weeks before the start of camp, but it would be really inconvenient and drastic for them to do so. 

Pretty glaring inconsistency to fire the head coach (after only suspending him) for negligence and ignorance at best and toxic direct influence at worst, but then to pretend that all of the rest of the coaches weren't also either ignorant or negligent or involved in all of this. 

Of course it can be done, but logistically it would be such a nightmare that it's not realistic.  Heck, so many fans were surprised when Frost fired most of his offensive staff with a few weeks remaining in the 2021 season.

Yeah, most (if not all) of those assistants will be fired after the end of the season, but they will be asked to get through this season to the best of their abilities.  Plus, these assistant coaches will also be coaching for future jobs.

I don't think it would be beneficial for anybody or the university to completely purge the staff unless the season was canceled. The University and Athletic Department need to consider the student athletes safety and honestly, the players are likely not going to be fully engaged this season and that's dangerous to their health/careers. Purge the staff post season or if now, cancel the season. (Might help to lesson possible NCAA rules infractions)

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Yeah... If all of this is true.. Northwestern's athletics might be over. How can any Institution allow this behavior? Will the NCAA start an investigation?  

They should get the death penalty by the NCAA and their football season should get cancelled.  I know the players don't want that but all coaches should be held accountable and not be able to even coach a game.

• Haha 1