What's going on at Northwestern?

On 7/7/2023 at 11:48 AM, funhusker said:

Meh..I think it’s just a “hey, Pat.  We need to look like we did something here.  So take the next two weeks off.”

Looking at the article, no specifics players, no knowledge by coaches confirmed, they can’t even describe what happened.  The fact ESPN is covering it is the only reason it’s in the news.

I’ll leave my comment for the record.  But, oh boy!  Was I wrong!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I’ll leave my comment for the record.  But, oh boy!  Was I wrong!!!

I said the same thing.  So I may be biased.

But I'm pretty sure the original plan was just a slap on the wrist so they could say they did something.  Then it blew up in their face so their hand was forced.

Seems pretty odd that an eight-month investigation led to a two-week suspension and then a couple of days later the "found out" a ton more.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s quite a jump to conclusions. I’m not condoning the hazing at all, but there is a big difference between jackassery and rape. 

In both high school and college sports I never experienced or witnessed any hazing outside of picking on someone for being a dolt or screwing up and making the rest of us run suicides. This may have included putting icy hot in a jock strap or wrapping a padlock in so much athletic tape it took forever to free it. I would like to think if anyone tried anything like this I would have come up swinging. Some of the hazing that happens these days is pretty sick.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s quite a jump to conclusions. I’m not condoning the hazing at all, but there is a big difference between jackassery and rape. 

Forcing people when there is a power differential to do nude bear crawls and then having 8 of your teammates pin them down so they can get dry humped is not "jackassery" IMO. When the hazing becomes sexual it's a lot different. There are a lot of parallels with humiliating someone this way and why rapists rape.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Forcing people when there is a power differential to do nude bear crawls and then having 8 of your teammates pin them down so they can get dry humped is not "jackassery" IMO. When the hazing becomes sexual it's a lot different. There are a lot of parallels with humiliating someone this way and why rapists rape.

Some interesting things to consider, for sure, and very nuanced. 

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I agree that the nude bear crawls or dry humping some dude is not acceptable, and it's a form of sexual assault.  I disagree with your comment that then the majority of these guys go out and are serial rapists.

Nobody can justify this disgusting and illegal (by state statues) "cough" tradition "cough".

Anti-Hazing Law:

Illinois in 1990 implemented an "Anti-Hazing Law" and personally I believe there's much, much more news forthcoming. 

This act of what is described as "Hazing" is far beyond the normal and even acceptable (albeit, hushed) hazing at other institutions. (high school thru professional sports) 

I also can't see how Northwestern can hush/silence this scandal. The hideousness of it. The psychological trauma that might have occurred as a result of this. Emotional trauma and mental scarring simply can't and won't be tolerated or easily forgotten. 

Personal Disgust and Action/Reaction:

Not sure how others here would respond but if some dude(s) thought it would be cool to dry hump me naked (especially being held down by piers) yeah.. you can bet your arse I'd lose my mind and likely end up in prison or in the very least, court. 

Accountability to Coaches:

Fitz is done. His reputation is destroyed and justifiably so. These revealed acts are demeaning, degrading, immoral and intolerably disgusting. My hope, someone or group of people is held accountable to the full extent of the law. Also, that every college/university takes this moment to do a little soul searching within and any egregiously disgusting hazing "traditional" acts are ended. 

Hazing should be allowed. (Acceptable Hazing and Within Reason):

NCAA needs to implement a zero policy with enourmous fines that may result in effected sport termination at said university/college. Guidelines on acceptable hazing practices (ie: polish shoes, run steps/sprints/etc) should also be implemented. Hazing is part of the right of passage (initiation persay) and can have lasting positive memories. (Many of us have these from sports yes, but also military, fraternities and even career advancements)