NBA 2023-24

I think these max contracts have changed the game. Too many teams have to work with really small windows.

Clippers, Warriors, Suns, and Lakers are definitely in win it all now mode, and all four will be pretty sad if the Nuggets repeat and they have to rethink their massive outlay of money. They will get anxious in Dallas, too, if there's not a serious run. Denver can enjoy itself for exactly one more season. The Celtics probably have to win the whole thing, too, and will have to commit nearly half a billion dollars to just two players, Tatum and Brown. Millwaukee has had a couple exits almostr as awkward as the Suns, and has no excuse with Lillard on the team (I actually like their chances). It feels like the 76ers will never quite pull it off with Joel Embid. 

The fun part is that none of these teams can sleep on the rest of the league. There's great talent top to bottom. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think these max contracts have changed the game. Too many teams have to work with really small windows.

Clippers, Warriors, Suns, and Lakers are definitely in win it all now mode, and all four will be pretty sad if the Nuggets repeat and they have to rethink their massive outlay of money. They will get anxious in Dallas, too, if there's not a serious run. Denver can enjoy itself for exactly one more season. The Celtics probably have to win the whole thing, too, and will have to commit nearly half a billion dollars to just two players, Tatum and Brown. Millwaukee has had a couple exits almostr as awkward as the Suns, and has no excuse with Lillard on the team (I actually like their chances). It feels like the 76ers will never quite pull it off with Joel Embid. 

The fun part is that none of these teams can sleep on the rest of the league. There's great talent top to bottom. 

Denver has all their main pieces locked up for the next 2-3 years. And Murray's extension won't be super max cause he won't meet the game requirement to make all nba this season cause of his injury. As long as Denver has Jokic they will have a championship window. Obviously won't win every year. But will be competing every year. Teams on the rise like OKC and eventually the Spurs when they get more players around Wemby will make it really fun. A Giannis Jokic or Embiid Jokic Final would be great this year. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This, aside from the Warriors run and the *how* behind it, is the only thing still keeping me interested in the league. I can't recall either through memory or knowledge of the game before me any time where there is just so much talent permeating every corner - it's crazy how good everyone is these days.

20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Did you watch last night's game? Warriors lost but it was a good one. 

Everyone talks about the superstars, but sometimes it's the Reggie Jacksons who make the difference.

Also, that bulls#!t missed goaltending call. 

Should be a fun year. 

Yeah. They missed that one for sure. 

Weird ending. Jokic choking on free throws. Steph misses a runner that he usually makes in his sleep. 

Both teams playing without one of their stalwarts. Warriors are probably the worst matchup for the Nuggets. They force Jokic to cover out more than any other team and all their crazy off ball action confuses our young bench guys. 

14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As much as I like Lilliard, I just don’t see him being the difference in Milwaukee. I actually think Philly might be the 2nd best team in the East this year. 

The real worry for the Nuggets in the West looking past this year are the up and coming teams: OKC, Houston, Minnesota, and maybe San Antonio if Pop decides to play an actual point guard and coach defense. 

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This, aside from the Warriors run and the *how* behind it, is the only thing still keeping me interested in the league. I can't recall either through memory or knowledge of the game before me any time where there is just so much talent permeating every corner - it's crazy how good everyone is these days.

Wondering if these are connected. The Warriors supposedly ushered in the "small ball" era, which was really more positionless ball.  For years a couple rotation spots went to big men who just needed to be big, but now they find ways to get the best available athletes on the court at the same time. Everyone is 6' 7", flying to the ball, and ready to shoot from anywhere. 

15 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Draymond choking out Rudy Gobert for no reason is wild lol.

I wouldn't say 'no reason' I would say not a good reason. He went after Gobert when Gobert was wrapping up Klay. There's a bit of an unwritten rule, you pull away your teammate, not the other team's player. Kinda the rule like I can beat up my brother, but you try and you'll have to deal with me.  Then if you watch, you'll see Gobert, because he's taller, appear to start grabbing around the head/shoulder area of Klay and was in the process of changing his grip when Dray went full on Hulk Hogan on him. Dray was 100% out of line, I see why he reacted the way he did as Gobert was breaking up the situation the wrong way.

I'm curious, as he's a repeat offender, what his suspension will be. Silver seems to be wildly inconsistent when he doles out punishments. I'm setting the O/U at 7 games.

1 hour ago, Madcows said:

I wouldn't say 'no reason' I would say not a good reason. He went after Gobert when Gobert was wrapping up Klay. There's a bit of an unwritten rule, you pull away your teammate, not the other team's player. Kinda the rule like I can beat up my brother, but you try and you'll have to deal with me.  Then if you watch, you'll see Gobert, because he's taller, appear to start grabbing around the head/shoulder area of Klay and was in the process of changing his grip when Dray went full on Hulk Hogan on him. Dray was 100% out of line, I see why he reacted the way he did as Gobert was breaking up the situation the wrong way.

I'm curious, as he's a repeat offender, what his suspension will be. Silver seems to be wildly inconsistent when he doles out punishments. I'm setting the O/U at 7 games.

Silver is soft with punishment. My guess is 3-5 games

3 hours ago, Madcows said:

That is not an unwritten rule. You hold the other guy generally because if you hold your own guy back you might render him defenseless. Gobert didn’t wrap klays neck either. Draymond did what he does. He wanted an excuse and thought he found one to cross a line that he routinely steps over. Don’t overthink it. 

draymond is getting 10 games minimum. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1