Who should our next HC be?

Bo Pelini lost to teams like Wisconsin, Ohio State, UCLA and the like... but the problem wasn't the losing. It was the falling apart that was a problem. We do want a guy that wins most of his games against the unranked. And Bo was pretty good at that. He wasn't perfect, but he was fairly good. We also want someone who can bounce back from losses and not get beat off bye week. Bo could get the team refocused pretty well. The only problem with Bo was the blow out losses combined with his rotten sideline persona where he attacked everyone from players to refs and his postgame persona where he attacked the media, the fans and the administration. And where he had no answers for what was going on. He always said he pointed the thumb but he seemed to point the finger quite a bit too... not as much as Frost, but some. The Bo quote I will always remember was the one about the 2014 meltdown against Wisky where he said he wasn't sure what went wrong but "when it flipped, it flipped." Thanks Bo. Any Husker fan could make that same great observation.

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don’t think that’s how this works. Pretty sure the Panther money goes away the minute he takes another coaching job. Or am I misreading your post?

We’d have to examine the details of what’s stipulated in Rhule’s contract with Carolina. 

Around how much do you think Nebraska will be offering Rhule if there’s a mutual interest? 

I’m guessing in the $7-8M neighborhood.  

2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

We’d have to examine the details of what stipulated in Rhule’s contract with Carolina. 

Around how much do you think Nebraska will be offering Rhule if there’s a mutual interest? 

I do not know this for a fact, but according to the radio talk shows, the Panthers have to make up the difference between what they owe him and guaranteed money and what he is going to make at this next job.

• Fire 1
17 minutes ago, HANC said:

I do not know this for a fact, but according to the radio talk shows, the Panthers have to make up the difference between what they owe him and guaranteed money and what he is going to make at this next job.

Probably some wording in there too about "fair market value", to prevent him from taking a job for way less than what they'd pay another coach.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, HANC said:

That’s typically the case. There might also be something stated that addresses other considerations in relation to his earning capacity. 

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, M.A. said:

We’d have to examine the details of what’s stipulated in Rhule’s contract with Carolina. 

5 minutes ago, HANC said:

Yep, pretty sure that's how these deals work. One of the benefits to firing him early for the Panthers was to have him on the market as early as possible in hopes that he takes a college gig to lower the payment on what they owe him.

6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yep, pretty sure that's how these deals work. One of the benefits to firing him early for the Panthers was to have him on the market as early as possible in hopes that he takes a college gig to lower the payment on what they owe him.

I’d imagine we’d be compensating Rhule less than he’s being compensated after dismissal. The Panthers would continue to pay him a yet undetermined amount. 

4 hours ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

That 48-second clip of Campbell speaking was very telling. And not in a good way.

I was not that excited about him before and certainly not now. I say this realizing that others out there know him much better than I do. 

I have the feeling that Campbell was likely one of the first guys that TA reached out to, back to last season. Hopefully he's backed off.

9 minutes ago, M.A. said:

I’d imagine we’d be compensating Rhule less than he’s being compensated after dismissal. The Panthers would continue to pay him a yet undetermined amount. 

He'll be making 40-mil over 48 months, which amounts to $10-mil/year, $833K/mo. Now remember, that's to sit at home doing nothing. So, whoever hires him is gonna have to make it worthwhile. 

Just now, M.A. said:

My understanding is he gets around $8.85 million per year from the Panthers (7 year, $62M contract). He already got that for year 1 and 2 when he was coaching and he'll get it from them for the rest of this season. So, the Panthers are out around $26.55M of the $62M no matter what. But he's still owed the rest of the contract no matter what, so roughly $35.45M. After this year, whatever his new deal is with his new team will go against the balance. So essentially, he's getting paid $8.85 per year for the next 4 years no matter what. The only question is where it comes from. If we hired him and pay him $7M per year, the Panthers pay him the other $1.85M for the next 4 years. If we hired him and pay him $9M, the Panthers are off the hook. The Panthers really want him to return to coaching a demand a really high price tag.

2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

My understanding is he gets around $8.85 million per year from the Panthers (7 year, $62M contract). He already got that for year 1 and 2 when he was coaching and he'll get it from them for the rest of this season. So, the Panthers are out around $26.55M of the $62M no matter what. But he's still owed the rest of the contract no matter what, so roughly $35.45M. After this year, whatever his new deal is with his new team will go against the balance. So essentially, he's getting paid $8.85 per year for the next 4 years no matter what. The only question is where it comes from. If we hired him and pay him $7M per year, the Panthers pay him the other $1.85M for the next 4 years. If we hired him and pay him $9M, the Panthers are off the hook. The Panthers really want him to return to coaching a demand a really high price tag.

From my understanding they will be paying him $40-mil over the next 48 months.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He'll be making 40-mil over 48 months, which amounts to $10-mil/year, $833K/mo. Now remember, that's to sit at home doing nothing. So, whoever hires him is gonna have to make it worthwhile. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

From my understanding they will be paying him $40-mil over the next 48 months.

I think your math is a little off because part of that $40M number that's being thrown around is for this year which makes it $40M over 5 years. So it's somewhere closer to $8M per year for 2023-2026. I could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I think your math is a little off because part of that $40M number that's being thrown around is for this year which makes it $40M over 5 years. So it's somewhere closer to $8M per year for 2023-2026

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/heres-how-much-money-panthers-still-have-to-pay-matt-rhule

We'd likely have too offer $10-mil/yr. to get him to consider... likely even more because he's already making that much, doing nothing.

3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

That sounds pretty accurate.