Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Okay, here's your recruiting rankings. I did last two years for each as several don't have more than 2 classes.

It's a bit of an inexact science because it's hard to know which classes were solely that coach's responsibility. When they were hired, for example, there was already a recruiting class in place that they inherited and had to try to maintain or improve in short order, etc. Anyway, I estimated the best I could on those and tried to use that coach's last two full recruiting classes.

Also, you've mentioned you're not a big "take it with a grain of salt" guy, but some of these have to be taken with a grain of salt based on where they're at. Lance Leipold, for example is averaging 65, which isn't good enough for Nebraska, but it might be great for a place like Kansas. Obviously Deion is the same. Aranda at 41 is concerning when Rhule was at 33 at the same school and Rhule took over a s#!t show while Aranda took over a program in really good shape. Things like that have to be considered.

Anywhoooo...what did we learn? Aside from the fact that there's an hour of my life I'll never get back, we learned that these stats would tell us it's Urban, then everyone else, by a mile :D

image.png.615035f401dc27e45595378ef4b62828.png

So the metric we should use instead of win/ loss then is how did Coach A and his recruiting rating do against Coach B who has a worse recruiting rating. By your rating Dave Clawson and Wake Forest defeating Georgia Southern and Clay Helton would be an upset. You cant use Clay Heltons recruiting rating from USC, you have to use what he inherited at Georgia Southern. What was the recruiting class Matt Rhule inherited at Temple and Baylor? Did you expect him to land top 10 classes given what he inherited at those places? What he did with less was amazing. He won games he had no business winning. Then look at Dave Aranda and what he inherited after his stay at Baylor? Way too many variables. You cant generalize wins and losses.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

So the metric we should use instead of win/ loss then is how did Coach A and his recruiting rating do against Coach B who has a worse recruiting rating. By your rating Dave Clawson and Wake Forest defeating Georgia Southern and Clay Helton would be an upset. You cant use Clay Heltons recruiting rating from USC, you have to use what he inherited at Georgia Southern. What was the recruiting class Matt Rhule inherited at Temple and Baylor? Did you expect him to land top 10 classes given what he inherited at those places? What he did with less was amazing. He won games he had no business winning. Then look at Dave Aranda and what he inherited after his stay at Baylor? Way too many variables. You cant generalize wins and losses.

Yeah, that was all kind of my point. Tons of variables. But, as @M.A. just pointed out, the same can be said for wins and losses...

1 hour ago, M.A. said:

Again, there are so many variables. What was the strength of the competition lost to or won against. By what margins. Were they road wins or losses. What talent was the coach working with. Injury issues. What was the situation that the coach walked into. Unfavorable, very unfavorable, favorable, very favorable. Were there staff changes. On and on.

Hell, in just about all of football, simply having a good to great quarterback alone can make all the difference in the world.

2 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Okay, here's your recruiting rankings. I did last two years for each as several don't have more than 2 classes.

It's a bit of an inexact science because it's hard to know which classes were solely that coach's responsibility. When they were hired, for example, there was already a recruiting class in place that they inherited and had to try to maintain or improve in short order, etc. Anyway, I estimated the best I could on those and tried to use that coach's last two full recruiting classes.

Also, you've mentioned you're not a big "take it with a grain of salt" guy, but some of these have to be taken with a grain of salt based on where they're at. Lance Leipold, for example is averaging 65, which isn't good enough for Nebraska, but it might be great for a place like Kansas. Obviously Deion is the same. Aranda at 41 is concerning when Rhule was at 33 at the same school and Rhule took over a s#!t show while Aranda took over a program in really good shape. Things like that have to be considered.

Anywhoooo...what did we learn? Aside from the fact that there's an hour of my life I'll never get back, we learned that these stats would tell us it's Urban, then everyone else, by a mile :D

This is dumb. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

With many of the candidates of a few weeks ago faltering, I think it is going to come down to 2 people, Chris Peterson and Mickey. Peterson is the big name hire (without a lot of baggage) the entire fan base would get behind, and if Mickey does well enough to finish this season, he would have a lot of support for him to take over full time.

Plus, if Mickey isn’t able to produce 8-9 win seasons in 2-3 years, then Trev would be able to say “I gave a NU guy a try back in 2022, it’s time to turn this program over to a new voice.” 

4 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Appreciate the research.  Regardless of who is the HC we need a relentless effort on recruiting.  Chris Petersen looks good here. Maybe he is a guy we can bring in. CEO type and let Mickey recruit. We sure would have had a ton of time to get this done. 

1 hour ago, chamrocck said:

Appreciate the research.  Regardless of who is the HC we need a relentless effort on recruiting.  Chris Petersen looks good here. Maybe he is a guy we can bring in. CEO type and let Mickey recruit. We sure would have had a ton of time to get this done. 

First off wow 285 pages and counting!!! Anybody think we will get to 350 pages before we get a coached hired? Second I swear their were numerous people on the message boards that said Chris Peterson isnt giving up his gig on tv. Now more and more people have mentioned his name more frequently. I think if we don't hire Mickey he would be a great candidate to hire.

I’m on the Petersen with Mickey train. That works.  

Chadwell is out for me. I had not really watched Coastal but did some today and looks like amateur hour, a level down in college football. Empty stands too.

And everyrtime I watch Campbell he’s losing it going irate. Did it again a couple times today. I get it that sometimes you have to be passionate but this guy thinks he’s the new Bo Pelini. :lol:  My guess is this guy’s offers may be drying up. Detroit Lions may bail him out?

Leipold got something out of his offense today but defense got smoked. 

I am right back where I started. Forget these small regional coaches and get the homerun hire. :hellloooo

9 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’m on the Petersen with Mickey train. That works.  

Chadwell is out for me. I had not really watched Coastal but did some today and looks like amateur hour, a level down in college football. Empty stands too.

And everyrtime I watch Campbell he’s losing it going irate. Did it again a couple times today. I get it that sometimes you have to be passionate but this guy thinks he’s the new Bo Pelini. :lol:  My guess is this guy’s offers may be drying up. Detroit Lions may bail him out?

Leipold got something out of his offense today but defense got smoked. 

I am right back where I started. Forget these small regional coaches and get the homerun hire. :hellloooo

With you 100%. I’ve seen nothing from the minor leaguers so far today that give me comfort that they’re good enough.

And yeah, Campbell’s a tool. When he was pissing his pants spitting all over himself about that targeting thing, he wasn’t even right. Dude hit his shoulder with his shoulder. RG3 even walked it back at the end.