Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

For what it's worth. Compared to the overwhelming lack of development compared to other teams with seemingly lower ranked classes this would make sense I guess.

Can't disagree with the coaching staff talent.  I think some have grown into their roles since leaving NU, but there was a lot of new guys on Bo's staff with little to no experience. same with Frost.  Cally had Coz and Riley had Riley.  Hoping NU empties the coffers on the coach and staff. I think a lot depends on the HC and their contacts as well.  Seasoned coach will bring a seasoned staff.

2 hours ago, Husker816 said:

It's dumb to judge coaches week to week if we go by that standard Frost was a great hire because he was undefeated that season. You got to look at this job for what it is- a rebuild. Who can rebuild the program? Who's rebuilt programs? Who's developed talent?

Frost was a great hire at the time. 20/20 hindsight after the fact of a coach failing has no bearing on whether they were a great hire or the right hire at the time.

The most educated and genius football minds to ever exist couldn't have predicted how Frost would have turned out.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3
3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Frost was a great hire at the time. 20/20 hindsight after the fact of a coach failing has no bearing on whether they were a great hire or the right hire at the time.

The most educated and genius football minds to ever exist couldn't have predicted how Frost would have turned out.

This can't be +1ed enough. The most educated and genius football minds miss, more often than not, on hires. At every level.

Our heads would explode if/when we hire some random dude from _____ (fill in the blank state) who's not even at the best program in the state with a 34-24 overall record.

Apparently there's more to it than just wins and losses. Seems like Trev is approaching it right.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, Toe said:

Aranda's stock is falling...

6 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Neck 'n neck with Campbell at 3-3. Leipold in the lead at 5-1. They all have several top #25 teams left on the schedule so I expect more losses for each.

HARD pass on Aranda and Campbell. Neither of them has ever felt right to me. At. All.

Aranda had one decent season at Baylor with Rhule's recruits when the best programs in the conference were down. Sark was in his first year at UT, and Riley had a foot out the door at OU. Aranda's body of work is meh when you look at it closely.

Campbell seems content being a medium fish in the small pond of Ames, Iowa. That's not who I want. He's "rebuilt" that program from bad to below average. Again, body of work...meh.

Leipold I can probably get behind. Rhule I can probably get behind. Not my fist choices but they both seem to have a lot more of the "it factor" that Aranda and Campbell don't.

• Plus1 1

i'm just starting to think that everyone with a pulse is turning Trev down and if Mickey wins a few more games it will be his job.  Not because he "earned" it but because the top candidates didn't want it.  I at this point dont really care who they hire because you don't really know how its going to go until they play some games.  

6 hours ago, husker009 said:

This video alone should be enough to disqualify Campbell. This is a loser mentality if I’ve ever seen one. Ames and loser mentalities are perfect fits, so I guess that’s why their fans like him.

Good lord, so many things wrong with that clip.

First of all, if your "goal" is something as subjective and unmeasurable as "be the best version of ourselves," that's not a goal, that's a means to a goal. That's goal setting 101 stuff. Also, "be the best version of ourselves" sounds like some "everyone gets a trophy" s#!t.

Next, "become the greatest together team in the history of Iowa St football" (whatever that even means) is A) not a very high bar as Iowa St has sucked forever, and B) again completely subjective. Define what that means in terms of wins and losses and set it as a goal. No s#!t all of your "goals" are still in tact. You set "goals" that are completely up for interpretation. You can lose out and and claim your team is the "greatest together team in the history of Iowa St football" because you played hard and were together.

Finally, this one's just my opinion, but someone that mediocre at a program that average who refers to himself in the 3rd person to that extent, has some serious insecurity issues. You want to try to put yourself on that kind of pedestal, you better have a lot more to back it up than being Matt f#&%ing Campbell at Iowa f#&%ing State.

Loser mentality is right. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Could not be more out on this tool after watching that. :boxosoap

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

i'm just starting to think that everyone with a pulse is turning Trev down and if Mickey wins a few more games it will be his job.  Not because he "earned" it but because the top candidates didn't want it.  I at this point dont really care who they hire because you don't really know how its going to go until they play some games.  

Curious what makes you think this? I've seen nothing to indicate this whatsoever. Because we haven't heard anything official? We're not going to hear anything official until November 26th at the earliest, regardless of who it is. Some leaks (unofficial) may start a little before that, but it's waaaaay too early to claim everyone's turning us down at this point, IMO.

Plus, if you believe everything Trev is saying (and I do), we are the best job available this year and probably will be at the end of the year. So, there will be very few coaches, if any, turning us down. That might just be me being a homer, but I don't think so. I think we'll get who we want.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1