Who should our next HC be?

46 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

is there a men's volleyball?  also aren't the bowling and rifle teams pretty good too?  

Nebraska has a men's club team, but not varsity. Men's VB is not currently a varsity sport in the Big Ten. I think only Penn State and Ohio State (two-time defending national champions) have teams.

USC & UCLA both have teams as well. Cook has talked about a varsity men's team at Nebraska. We have the facility for it. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well, just because Trev had already done a ton of homework, that doesn't make a search firm unnecessary. They do a lot more than just identify candidates. That may not even be their primary role. Based on his comments at the press conference, it seemed like he'd given it a whole lot more than 24 hours thought since firing Frost. He was pretty specific on what we should expect and what he was looking for. So, yeah...probably somewhere between "he already had his guy" and "he planned to get to work on it Monday" :lol:

The firms provide a variety of services. Trev mentioned logistics being their primary function for him.  Likely providing communications and organizing meetings. Exchanges of various information between representatives of the parties. He likely broadened the scope of his search as things advanced. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, M.A. said:

The firms provide a variety of services. Trev mentioned logistics being their primary function for him.  Likely providing communications and organizing meetings. Exchanges of various information between representatives of the parties. He likely broadened the scope of his search as things advanced. 

Tell this to Mavric, not me. He was the one who questioned me when I stated that I hoped Trev already had begun negotiations.

38 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Well, if you believe people on the internet, the USC search went like this...

USC: We want Matt Campbell.

Search firm: He's gonna pass.

USC: But that's who we wanted.

Search firm: We can get you Lincoln Riley, does that work?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

That process looks great to me.  How much we gotta pay to duplicate that for us?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
47 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Hopefully we want Campbell and the search firm convinces Trev otherwise for a much better option! Lol

I wouldn’t depend on much of what’s said on the internet. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
55 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Ours goes like this.....

NU: We want Matt Campbell

NU: But that's who we wanted as well.

Search Firm: We can get you Urban

Meyer, does that work???:P

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Rhule would be ok as coach. I’d give it a B. I have concerns about him.

Despite the failed NFL parallels being mentioned, Rhule is not close to Saban or Urb. 

Anyone not thinking about trying to retain Mickey is a bad sign. Now maybe Mickey gets a great offer to go elsewhere, and that’s life. But I certainly think Trev is vetting this angle with all candidates. It would be unwise not to do so.

I would guess there is a guy or two on staff that Trev may strongly suggest needs to be considered for retention. That’s a much different thing than making it a litmus test. Any head coach we should be considering hiring should also be allowed unequivocal control of his staff. Suggesting that the AD should somehow circumvent that is a very good way to foster competing factions and/or prevent the hiring of the best possible people. No head coach that is good enough should be told who will be on his staff. Best we can hope for is that he recognizes the value in keeping Mickey or Busch or whoever around.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I would guess there is a guy or two on staff that Trev may strongly suggest needs to be considered for retention. That’s a much different thing than making it a litmus test. Any head coach we should be considering hiring should also be allowed unequivocal control of his staff. Suggesting that the AD should somehow circumvent that is a very good way to foster competing factions and/or prevent the hiring of the best possible people. No head coach that is good enough should be told who will be on his staff. Best we can hope for is that he recognizes the value in keeping Mickey or Busch or whoever around.

If the candidate is a good coach he’s going to recognize himself who needs to be retained or not for his staff. 

• Plus1 2

With Matt Rhule now being available after being fired from the Carolina Panthers, does he seem like a good fit? Was able to twice get teams to good records at Temple and Baylor. 

His NFL record was not good but that can be said for many other college power 5 coaches. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1