Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Wait, what are we talking about here? Coaches who've "had some success" as first time head coached? So, like 6 wins and make it to a bowl game or get the team into the top 25? Yeah, that list is very long as every coach has to start somewhere. And yeah, MJ would highly likely fit that at Nebraska. I thought we were talking about elite level as the OP mentioned coaching legends Tom Osborne and Jimmy Johnson (although Jimmy Johnson didn't fit his criteria either).

From the current top 25, Stoops (a favorite for many on here) is the only one that has "had some success" as you say.  Others have had conference titles, NY6 bowls, and/or CFP teams.

Kirby - NC

Day - Playoffs

Dabo - NC

Gundy - Multiple NY6 bowls

Wittingham - Multiple NY6 bowls

Fickell - Playoff

Stoops

Aranda - 1 NY6 bowl in 2 years as HC

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Didn't you introduce your new account to the board with "we have to hire Deion?"

Nope, he's not even my first choice. I may have said "we have to hire Urban" I don't remember.

But this is the "who should our next head coach be" thread where we all speculate and weigh in and argue discuss and waste countless hours playing AD regarding who our head coaching prospects are. If one of your criteria for our next head coach is that they have to keep MJ and Busch, carry on then. I'm just telling you it doesn't work that way and if that's your criteria, you can expect a lesser hire.

25 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

What makes you say that? :lol:

So, in other words, it doesn't mean anything and isn't important. :D

Kidding (sort of) but basically one can argue that any candidate is or isn't a "cultural fit" depending on how they choose to define it. And even when they do try to define it, most likely, they don't know enough about the candidate to make that determination.

I mean, I can argue that we've never had a true cultural fit. Devany, Osborne, and Solich would be under much more cultural scrutiny in today's social media cell phone era. Pelini was about as "blue collar" as it gets but he was a huge prick. Callahan, nope. Mike Riley was probably the closest...and we saw what that got us. Frost seemed like it on the surface, now we know better.

So, yeah, in other words, I think it's pretty meaningless and not very important.

Devaney, Osborne and Pelini most closely were culture fits I’d say with Callahan and Riley being the least. Frost more toward a fit than not. 

A person can be a culture fit and might not have the skill set or enough competencies to be successful.  It’s one of the criteria among many. There’s a great number of things to consider.

You’d want a good culture fit for sure although you could have a great culture fit with several other criteria that a candidate falls short on. Lol It’s like a good soup. The characteristics melded together forming a mixture of components. 

The best that we can do is put together as accurate an estimate as possible. The final product hopefully comes close to what we believed the person to be as presented. 

• Plus1 1

In all honesty, how long do you all feel Trev has been working behind the scenes to find the new HC? Do you think discussions with agents began after last season and he just had to wait to see how things played out with Scott and with the initial interested coaches contracts before he could make a move? Now he has the private agency talking contracts and negotiating with these coaches and the possible assistant coaches who would be joining them, whether it be Mickey or someone else who has been vetted already?

I only ask because in the business I am in we usually start looking at other candidates and narrow it down to a few,  before we replace a current employee. We generally have an idea of who we are bringing in and Trev seems calculated in that way as well. 

Just curious your opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

From the current top 25, Stoops (a favorite for many on here) is the only one that has "had some success" as you say.  Others have had conference titles, NY6 bowls, and/or CFP teams.

Kirby - NC

Day - Playoffs

Dabo - NC

Gundy - Multiple NY6 bowls

Wittingham - Multiple NY6 bowls

Fickell - Playoff

Stoops

Aranda - 1 NY6 bowl in 2 years as HC

Keep lowering the bar from the original point and I have no doubt MJ can reach it. Again, per the OP, we were clearly talking about different bars.

2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Nope, he's not even my first choice. I may have said "we have to hire Urban" I don't remember.

These were your first three posts.  The Deion love continues after this. 

You do also mention Urban early on, but the Deion love was palpable. 

On 9/18/2022 at 12:44 PM, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Deion Sanders

And the fact that his name isn’t being mentioned more (except for Vegas odds on him being pretty high and a few national talking heads mentioning him) only goes to show what’s wrong with Nebraska. Old stiff white living in the past set in our ways program.

Deion is a lot more than just celebrity schtick. He’s done a great job at turning around Jackson State. Not good. Great. He can recruit as good or better than anyone in the county, he knows how to work the hell out of the NIL, he’s put together a great coaching staff and recognizes the need for it, he’s had experience in every facet of the game from coaching to broadcasting to playing, he can talk NFL all day which is all these kids want these days, and he’s a very likable guy who can sell ice to an Eskimo. He’s also apparently interviewed for a handful of P5 jobs and been very impressive. Someone will take a chance on him sooner than later.

He’s a risk, but he’d be next on my list behind Urban to move the needle toward what Nebraska needs. Research him a little before you just roll your eyes. If not Urban, I’d take Deion over all the other generic rinse and repeat prospect names that are being thrown around.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Then you need to do your homework more. He did a phenomenal job turning Baylor around in the wake of the whole Art Briles rape debacle. And did it with all the things you listed that you think we need. Yeah  And I put very little stock in his NFL performance. Saban and Urban failed in the NFL too.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:58 PM, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

No he hasn’t. He has legitimately interviewed for a handful of P5 jobs, including TCU and Arkansas. He has publicly stated that he wants to coach at the P5 level.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Devaney, Osborne and Pelini most closely were culture fits I’d say with Callahan and Riley being the least. Frost more toward a fit than not. 

A person can be a culture fit and might not have the skill set or enough competencies to be successful.  It’s one of the criteria among many. There’s a great number of things to consider.

You’d want a good culture fit for sure although you could have a great culture fit with several other criteria that a candidate falls short on. Lol It’s like a good soup. The characteristics melded together forming a mixture of components. 

The best that we can do is put together as accurate an estimate as possible. The final product hopefully comes close to what we believed the person to be as presented. 

+ 1 on all that

20 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Keep lowering the bar from the original point and I have no doubt MJ can reach it. Again, per the OP, we were clearly talking about different bars.

What is the bar, an all time great coach?  I am going to go out on a limb and say we aren't going to hire one of those.

If the bar is a 12 team playoff, then 6 of those 8 coaches would have done that at least twice (and Aranda would have done it once in 2 years).

23 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

In all honesty, how long do you all feel Trev has been working behind the scenes to find the new HC? Do you think discussions with agents began after last season and he just had to wait to see how things played out with Scott and with the initial interested coaches contracts before he could make a move? Now he has the private agency talking contracts and negotiating with these coaches and the possible assistant coaches who would be joining them, whether it be Mickey or someone else who has been vetted already?

I only ask because in the business I am in we usually start looking at other candidates and narrow it down to a few,  before we replace a current employee. We generally have an idea of who we are bringing in and Trev seems calculated in that way as well. 

Just curious your opinion. 

Interesting.  I feel like that is unique, what industry are you in?

I honestly think he started talking to folks mid last season, but the landscape has changed obviously. 

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Interesting.  I feel like that is unique, what industry are you in?

I honestly think he started talking to folks mid last season, but the landscape has changed obviously. 

Architecture/Construction industry. We use a similar process with a company that has their recruiters reach out to potential office candidates for us, utilizing our job description  without sharing our company name to gauge interest in our position to keep it discreet. The recruiter will then present their findings to us and we look over their resumes and their conversation with the recruiter and decide if we want to take it further. Its nothing set in stone and mainly information gathering to make sure we hit the ground running if a change is made versus trying to react and possibly have down time by a rash decision. 

Completely different industry for sure, but a handy method if necessary. 

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Waiting in the security line at Columbus Airport and Hoiberg is on the tv. These two clowns in front of me are saying how Nebraska sucks at everything but women’s volleyball 

2EC6800D-9540-4C14-9636-258012F7E295.jpeg

So you felt the need to post them on a message board? Who cares? 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2