Who should our next HC be?

I think it is highly likely we are looking for a CEO type coach that will keep Mickey and Busch around. I am not sure if Rhule is that guy. I don’t know what staff he would bring. We may end up with someone like Mullen or Patterson as a program leader that have several years of P5 head coaching experience.  Would guys like that be able to bring strong coaches underneath them that are hungry and not afraid to hit the recruiting trail hard.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So we know MJ can recruit.  The balance of the season will tell how well he can motivate, guide, adjust - the coaching aspect.  2 wins against powerhouses Indiana and Rutgers still hasn't given me the confidence that he is our guy.  Frost was our guy because he had a 13-0 season - but no P5 HC experience & only 2 years of HC experience.  It didn't work very well.  If Nebraska can secure Rhule, then you have to go with a proven program builder - which I hope in that case MJ is retained as AHC. 

Keep in mind that he’s also doing it with an inherited assistant coaching staff. We don’t know who he would replace/ bring-in.

I'm still in the belief that we need a HC that is proven to send guys to the NFL... I also believe that the ability to pull top recruiting classes needs to taken into consideration (high draft classes typically lead to top recruiting classes); but I want a HC who can say that he knows what NFL teams are looking for, and knows how to develop and send his guys PRO.

Obvi, my top pick is Urban... but, if Mickey can have moderate success this season (2 or 3 more wins), AND pulls a top 25(ish) recruiting class (especially after this debacle of a season), I would be more than on board for making him permanent.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Spacer said:

AND pulls a top 25(ish) recruiting class (especially after this debacle of a season), I would be more than on board for making him permanent.

Trev doesn't have the luxury of waiting to see how the recruiting class is ranked to make a judgment on MJ.  He needs a coach in place who he knows is a good recruiter & builder well in advance of the early signing date. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Trev doesn't have the luxury of waiting to see how the recruiting class is ranked to make a judgment on MJ.  He needs a coach in place who he knows is a good recruiter & builder well in advance of the early signing date. 

This is why i think it wont be mickey, unless they think we can be patient and have another season of mediocre before we can get in mickeys recruits.  If Trev and friends are not willing to wait for results or they want to bite on whatever coach they think will work best here.  They are going to need to do there damest to provide mickey and friends means to stay.  And they should all be well compensated, this is a s#!t show.

2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

This is why i think it wont be mickey, unless they think we can be patient and have another season of mediocre before we can get in mickeys recruits.  If Trev and friends are not willing to wait for results or they want to bite on whatever coach they think will work best here.  They are going to need to do there damest to provide mickey and friends means to stay.  And they should all be well compensated, this is a s#!t show.

It's a matter of getting more out of your recruits though. So far, you could say that Mickey has done so better than Frost did with his own. 

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

It's a matter of getting more out of your recruits though. So far, you could say that Mickey has done so better than Frost did with his own. 

Yes - and it was against fellow bottom dwellers - Rutgers and Indiana.  But I agree, MJ is an upgrade from Frost.  As much as I like MJ and reallllllly hope he's retained on staff, we need someone who can make an immediate difference in recruiting and pulling in transfers who can have an impact next season.  

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes - and it was against fellow bottom dwellers - Rutgers and Indiana.  But I agree, MJ is an upgrade from Frost.  As much as I like MJ and reallllllly hope he's retained on staff, we need someone who can make an immediate difference in recruiting and pulling in transfers who can have an impact next season.  

Is there a possibility we are all glossing over that Mickey doesn't want or expect the main gig and has discussed such with Trev. Maybe he likes being a recruiter and developer and not someone who runs the whole show? 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who's to say that isn't Mickey? He has been our best recruiter by far...

I'm not saying that it is, yet...but if he gets the dubs...I don't know why he also couldn't continue to be a superior recruiter. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I agree, but one can generally get a sense of how good a recruiting class will end up being by around the end of the season (around the same time period of deciding who the next HC will be).

I forgot that open transfer portal makes things weird, as well.

Regardless, our class is currently at around 50-40, so this point may end up being moot.

52 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Is there a possibility we are all glossing over that Mickey doesn't want or expect the main gig and has discussed such with Trev. Maybe he likes being a recruiter and developer and not someone who runs the whole show? 

There is nobody on earth that doesn't want a $5-6 million/year pay raise.

• TBH 1
31 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Who's to say that isn't Mickey? He has been our best recruiter by far...

I'm not saying that it is, yet...but if he gets the dubs...I don't know why he also couldn't continue to be a superior recruiter. 

He got smacked around at home by the worst Oklahoma team in 24 years. He can rack up some wins, but that abomination of a game needs to be kept in mind. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3