Who should our next HC be?

12 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Tom Herman and then a long ways to anyone else

11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think Herman is an intriguing pick. I mentioned him as a possibility back when Frost was fired and was told not to mention him again. I think he’d be a solid hire. 

11 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

Based on what? Just curious because he didn't get much done at Texas 

10 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I thought he did fairly well at Texas and was fired prematurely. They went to 4 bowl games and won all 4 :dunno

10 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

His record at texas isnt nearly as bad as most remember.  Was it the best? no, but he got the plug pulled rather quickly.  

10 hours ago, Enhance said:

Tom Herman was fired prematurely if viewed through the lens of about 90% of the college football world. He wasn't fired early by Texas standards. Four bowl games (three of them in pretty irrelevant bowls) and no conference titles isn't exactly 'getting it done.' And this was after pulling in three Top 10 recruiting classes.

That said, he's not the worst name I've seen thrown out. What he did at Texas would certainly be welcomed at Nebraska based on where the program is now.

19 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Exactly. Not to mention he's not currently coaching, so negotiating would (should?) be easier. I'd be happy w/ him. He can recruit, and has been a winner everywhere he's been.

If we hired Tom Herman, he would be one of very few coaches that I couldn't force myself to get behind and would embarrass me as a Nebraska fan. He's toxic. They ran him out of Texas faster than was probably expected for a reason. They couldn't wait to get rid of him. And it wasn't just his on-field performance, although that wasn't very good given their resources. The stories floating around from when he was at Texas make the Frost stories look like amateur hour.

I'm closer to it than most, but you don't have to take my word for it. Look at it this way...do you think there might be a reason that 2 years removed from being the head coach at a blueblood program, he hasn't even sniffed a legitimate coaching job? Not a lower tier head coach, not a coordinator, not even a position coach. And you think you know something the rest of the entire football world doesn't know and want to hand him the reins to Nebraska?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Tom Herman is someone that Urban floated to Trev on their little discussion.  I mentioned it way back when this whole thing started that Trev asked Urban his thoughts on potential HCs.  Urban hasn't been interested from the get-go along with Peterson and Aranda.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Tom Herman is someone that Urban floated to Trev on their little discussion.  I mentioned it way back when this whole thing started that Trev asked Urban his thoughts on potential HCs.  Urban hasn't been interested from the get-go along with Peterson and Aranda.  

How do you know that?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

Only problem with your little theory here (which you're stating as fact even though it's just your guess) is that Urban has been pretty critical of Herman publicly on more than one occasion since they split back in 2014. And you might want to take a closer look at the whole Zach Smith situation. Let's just say I don't think there's a whole lot of love lost there. So, unless Urban was trying to sabotage NU during their little discussion (which is possible since Urban is a tOSU guy), I'm guessing that didn't happen.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

The recruiting aspect is a huge point. Judging Mickey SOLELY on what he does with an inherited (and fundamentally flawed) roster this season IGNORES the intriguing prospect of what he could do with the kind of team that he can recruit. Who is the last Husker FB coach who was a star recruiter?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 3

9 hours ago, GlobalHusker said:

Interesting read on Rhule. But, based off this I would think he’d go to auburn.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/matt-rhule-can-repair-nebraska-why-ex-panthers-coach-is-perfect-fit-to-resurrect-huskers-program/

anyone think jimbo is out at A&M? If that’s true then maybe Rhule goes there.?

Good article but why do you think Auburn- only because of recruiting??

22 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

The recruiting aspect is a huge point. Judging Mickey SOLELY on what he does with an inherited (and fundamentally flawed) roster this season IGNORES the intriguing prospect of what he could do with the kind of team that he can recruit. Who is the last Husker FB coach who was a star recruiter?

So we know MJ can recruit.  The balance of the season will tell how well he can motivate, guide, adjust - the coaching aspect.  2 wins against powerhouses Indiana and Rutgers still hasn't given me the confidence that he is our guy.  Frost was our guy because he had a 13-0 season - but no P5 HC experience & only 2 years of HC experience.  It didn't work very well.  If Nebraska can secure Rhule, then you have to go with a proven program builder - which I hope in that case MJ is retained as AHC. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

14 years college coaching experience

1 national championship

.667 winning percentage in P5

Excellent recruiter

Players appear to love him

Likeable, no nonsense guy who tells it how it is.... we could do worse.  

If the winning percentage holds, pretty hard to not stay with him.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1