North Dakota Week Pressers

Mavric

There are similarities but, based on this first game, I wouldn’t trade CT for AM. CT has more poise, more confidence, more understanding etc.  Neither one are great pure passer but my first impressions of CT is he is a ‘gamer’.  Again, let’s see another 4 games.  Then the comparison can be more fair.  

My initial assessment of Casy’s UT video was he was Adrian with better passing and pocket skills but not the run skills. But I may be premature to assess CT running.  He moves around pretty well and may avoid more sacks. He may not run 30 yards but he may save 30 yards in sack losses.  Help keep down and distance manageable.  Accuracy in short and medium throws a little better. Not sure he has a real deep arm but he can get the ball about as deep as he will have time throw. 

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

There are similarities but, based on this first game, I wouldn’t trade CT for AM. CT has more poise, more confidence, more understanding etc.  Neither one are great pure passer but my first impressions of CT is he is a ‘gamer’.  Again, let’s see another 4 games.  Then the comparison can be more fair.  

My initial assessment of Casy’s UT video was he was Adrian with better passing and pocket skills but not the run skills. But I may be premature to assess CT running.  He moves around pretty well and may avoid more sacks. He may not run 30 yards but he may save 30 yards in sack losses.  Help keep down and distance manageable.  Accuracy in short and medium throws a little better. Not sure he has a real deep arm but he can get the ball about as deep as he will have time throw. 

Too much is made of this.  Both did good things,  both make mistakes but the team around both implodes. That's the problem.  Casey's first shot at a game winning drive ended just like Adrian's and folks called him 'not clutch' all the time.  Like the QB can do it all by himself.  Much bigger overall problems.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Too much is made of this.  Both did good things,  both make mistakes but the team around both implodes. That's the problem.  Casey's first shot at a game winning drive ended just like Adrian's and folks called him 'not clutch' all the time.  Like the QB can do it all by himself.  Much bigger overall problems.  

Agreed.  AM caught tons of grief.  He was a part of the problem, but not THE problem.  CT threw 9 INT's last season at UT with a jacked up thumb.  He threw 2 on Sat.....He didn't suddenly forget how to throw or read the defense.  Listening to the presser he is a sharp dude.  Knows how to play.  We have a host of issues on both sides of the ball.  Hopefully, the next two games will be an opportunity to drill down what went wrong and get things fixed prior to OU coming to town.  *Wish we had raided the portal for another TE.....

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Too much is made of what?  The QB comparison or the QB position in general?  I was discussing the former, while you the latter.  I think.  

You may think QB is not all that important.  I tend to believe it is critical to the success of the Frosty Whip offense and to pass oriented offenses in general.   

In my view, for Frost and Whipple to get this team snd program turned around, CT and or Chubba should he be called up from the practice squad, have to play great fb.  Just good is not good enough.   You need star power at QB to win 11 games to put your team in the hunt for a championship.  That is the goal of elite programs and, yes even lowly NU wants to return to the once lofty place.  

i agree Casey didn’t play perfectly. Lots of improvement possible. Accuracy slipped off some in 2nd half.  I think his WRs and O line bear some part in it.  CT played BETTER than I hoped.  In fact the whole offense did  better in the opening half than I thought possible. Some was NW being soft and careful as they weren’t sure what Frosty Whip had planned   If they could have come out in the Frosty  Whip with some new run game features, the offense could have pulled the defense’s ads out of the fire. 

There are plenty of serious issues on the team that CT can’t overcome. Much stronger, more aggressive defense Blackshirts style.  The defense was not Blackshirt worthy.  Can it be? Yes, although it has a big jump to get there 

Chinander said the pass rush clearly needed to be better, but the defense also had to “earn the right to rush the passer” with their play on early downs. He said far too often Northwestern could stay on schedule, which limited the third-and-long blitzes NU was able to call.

On3

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I'd still like to know which are the six.  I think "dropped" is being used where "could have been caught" is more accurate.

Between the dropped passes and the missed tackles, I'm pretty sure our guys had T-rex arms that game.

47 minutes ago, Toe said:

Between the dropped passes and the missed tackles, I'm pretty sure our guys had T-rex arms that game.

Could be.  But which are the dropped passes that people keep talking about?  Palmer had one right off the bat.  I honestly don't recall others.