New Defensive Coordinator - TONY WHITE

TGHusker

Those cutups are great examples of why I'm so excited for this defense.

First example, Cover 1 Blitz. Looks like you send 6, but a defensive lineman drops out. Back stays in and does a good job because otherwise it's 5 on 4 due to the unbalanced blitz. As is, nowhere to throw.

Second clip looks very similar presnap to the first. Appears to be Cover 1, everyone manned up on the outside. Big bubble signals blitz and the offensive line sets up that way. Instead they drop 8 and are able to get home with only 3. Watch though, the areas of the field that are baits if you did think this was a Cover 1 blitz, like it was in the example above. It appears it's single high shaded to the top side. It appears towards the bottom that you can hit a big play with a Corner, Post, maybe a Deep Dig (which the number 3 receiver on the top side actually runs and gets bracketed). The offense doesn't like it, but on this play a sack isn't that bad of a result.

The third clip is a really good example of how they protect the Rover in coverage. One way to attack Cover 1 is to send one or more alerts down the field, forcing him deep and then attack the middle of the field underneath him. But as we've seen above, they can bring/drop any of those 6 box defenders at any time. On the top inside receiver they have a LB and S bracketing and another LB drops to that hole in the middle.

Pay special attention to the bottom Safety. White uses a lot of off man coverage, and this is a great example of this. Pause the video a few seconds in and see his position. If they throw underneath, that pass is jumped all day. He's still able to drift back and bracket the outside receiver.

Look at how much help that Rover ends up having. Bracket to the top, deep hole defender in the middle, and essentially bracket on the bottom. Despite having all of that help, It still results in a sack despite only rushing 4 defenders vs 6 blockers.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

What’s the two axis? Not sure what their definition of ‘unique’ is and why that means there is so much difference between Syracuse and teams like KSU/ISU.

The two axes are the first two principle components from a principle component analysis (link). The principle components aren't usually something easily understood in terms of the subject (e.g. football) that's being analyzed. It's difficult to even say what this really means and you'd need to do a detailed analysis of the source data to understand whether this is meaningful in any way. It's mostly just interesting to look at in terms of the data compared to itself.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, brophog said:

What’s the two axis? Not sure what their definition of ‘unique’ is and why that means there is so much difference between Syracuse and teams like KSU/ISU.

I'm trying to grasp how Pitt is an outlier.  They are str8 4-3 quarters coverage.  Iowa is very str8 forward as well.  Where as OU sits as the center of the axis and Venables is pretty fluid.  Given that my theory would be defenses do too much and the less you do the more unique you are.  

I figured out where I screwed up here. That graph can't be about football defenses, because KU is on there and they didn't play any defense last year.

I think it has something to do with cookies. Those ones on the perimeter are the people who put raisins in everything. They think they are really clever and I'm like stop it you can't put raisins in a peanut butter cookie. Then that group in the middle, with like everyone stacked on top of each other, are the chocolate chip people. They all got the recipe off of the back of the bag.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
  • 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, M.A. said:

Full throttle guys! Full throttle!!! :hellloooo

Too many years of what I call "Paralysis by analysis".  Think too much and do too little.  See ball, get ball.  Good thing is listening to McGuire he says similar theme to the receivers.  Hoping to see it and not just read about it.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Too many years of what I call "Paralysis by analysis".  Think too much and do too little.  See ball, get ball.  Good thing is listening to McGuire he says similar theme to the receivers.  Hoping to see it and not just read about it.

Too much thinking! It's much like figuring out a program or how an operating system works. Someone is sitting there watching, there's reluctance due to concern for making an error. Inaction becomes a thing. Several times done though, the better one gets. We don't want a lot of errors of course, though near perfection comes in time. 

Forgetting is a good thing. It's a necessary component to learning! The important thing is to take action and, with more and more repetition the mind-body connection does it's work. Then fluency takes place. New neural pathways caused by experiences. Aim and shot becoming one. Keep on throwing darts! 

There's nothing wrong at all with analysis if your an analyst. The more one does, the more one improves with it. There's a time and a place for it. For players though, we don't need analysis. At least not during the play or game. We want execution. 

Visualization and sleep helps, too. ;)

17 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Too much thinking! It's much like figuring out a program or how an operating system works. Someone is sitting there watching, there's reluctance due to concern for making an error. Inaction becomes a thing. Several times done though, the better one gets. We don't want a lot of errors of course, though near perfection comes in time. 

Forgetting is a good thing. It's a necessary component to learning! The important thing is to take action and, with more and more repetition the mind-body connection does it's work. Then fluency takes place. New neural pathways caused by experiences. Aim and shot becoming one. Keep on throwing darts! 

There's nothing wrong at all with analysis if your an analyst. The more one does, the more one improves with it. There's a time and a place for it. For players though, we don't need analysis. At least not during the play or game. We want execution. 

Visualization and sleep helps, too. ;)

Good stuff!