LB Angelo Garbutt [Iowa Commit]

Mavric

Just watched the film. Hardly any footage of him as a SR at LB... almost exclusively at RB.

However, from what I saw, I wouldn't mind an offer. Showed good lateral quickness at LB. Doesn't have the top-end speed to play RB at the next level, but very few LBs do. He's got adequate speed to be a good LB and honestly the lateral agility is more important. Guys like Roach, Bando, and... *gulp* Sean Fisher show what a LB looks like when they're too stiff and doesn't move well enough side to side. Roach and Fisher just weren't athletic enough. The thing about Bando is by all reports he has all the physical tools needed to succeed. Something about Bo's system (mentally) had him a step slow ALL the time. Hope Bray can coach that out of him.

But I digress. Garbutt moves well side to side. He has excellent instincts. He has a strong knack for weaving right around blocks, picking through the garbage to get to the ball. And when he got there, he finished very well. Either dropped the ballcarrier or held them up til the rest of the D caught up. Liked seeing him run down the QB from the backside on a zone read keeper on the goal line (senior film).

Ultimately, poor offer list, but there's a LOT of talent in Texas. Strikes me as one of those developmental guys Riley is so known for. Would like to see what Bray could do with him. We def need the bodies at LB right now.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...