Gerry On PFF's Mid-Season All-American Team

Mavric

Safety: Nate Gerry, Nebraska 91.0 and Jamal Adams, LSU 90.0

Our top coverage safety at 94.0, Gerry is tied for fifth among safeties with four passes defensed while adding two interceptions. The big improvement in his game is his tackling where he’s only missed three all season. Adams has done it all for LSU, and he has the top grade against the run at 85.4 to go with the No. 7 mark in coverage at 88.3.

Link

• Fire 1

Nice to see Nate get some national recognition! I remember a thread a while (maybe last off-season?) where I said Gerry was one of our best defenders, would definitely play NFL ball someday, and might even end up being an All American. A couple other posters scoffed, and proceeded to tear him down. I feel vindicated.

Nate Gerry is a baller. Might be my favorite Blackshirt right now. :thumbs:

• Fire 1

Nice to see Nate get some national recognition! I remember a thread a while (maybe last off-season?) where I said Gerry was one of our best defenders, would definitely play NFL ball someday, and might even end up being an All American. A couple other posters scoffed, and proceeded to tear him down. I feel vindicated.

We are both fans. :wub:

A couple? A lot!

For some reason* Gerry seems to be on "thin ice" with some fans. Which sucks because he is a great player and will be missed.

*Most of us know the reason that some fans dislike him.

A couple? A lot!

For some reason* Gerry seems to be on "thin ice" with some fans. Which sucks because he is a great player and will be missed.

*Most of us know the reason that some fans dislike him.

I don't think many dislike him, but I think A) a handful misinterpreted comments he made late last season about buying in and B) he had SUCH a good sophomore campaign, people were expecting him to become an all-american last year and he took a few steps back in the new system. Even this year, playing extremely well, he's been doing it fairly quietly. I can't think of any plays in the passing game, and only 2-3 in the running game, where he made me go, "WOW!"

I'd venture to say we have the best safety duo this year that we've had since the Bullocks twins were out there patrolling. Unless you think O'Hanlon/Asante in that vaunted 2009 defense were on their level.

Kieron and Nate are really some top notch defensive backs. Glads to see them balling out, and Nate getting his due.

I really like O'Hanlon and Asante. I do not think I have ever seen a better one field tackler than O'Hanlon. Asante, while always good for a personal foul, dude was intimidating to receivers..... Of course, having SUH and Crick didn't hurt...... SUH was such a beast, that any DB's would look good.

I think that Nate is getting some much deserved press as a safety. It's not like our front 7 are shut down guys... He and Kieron are having to work for theirs.

I'd venture to say we have the best safety duo this year that we've had since the Bullocks twins were out there patrolling. Unless you think O'Hanlon/Asante in that vaunted 2009 defense were on their level.

Kieron and Nate are really some top notch defensive backs. Glads to see them balling out, and Nate getting his due.

I really like O'Hanlon and Asante. I do not think I have ever seen a better one field tackler than O'Hanlon. Asante, while always good for a personal foul, dude was intimidating to receivers..... Of course, having SUH and Crick didn't hurt...... SUH was such a beast, that any DB's would look good.

I think that Nate is getting some much deserved press as a safety. It's not like our front 7 are shut down guys... He and Kieron are having to work for theirs.

If you think O'Hanlon is the best tackling safety NU has had, then you never saw Mike Brown. That guy was an absolute stud. Probably the best safety in NU history.

If you think O'Hanlon is the best tackling safety NU has had, then you never saw Mike Brown. That guy was an absolute stud. Probably the best safety in NU history.

I didn't say best tackling safety ever. It should have read "open field" tackler. Been a fan for a long time.

I didn't say best tackling safety ever. It should have read "open field" tackler. Been a fan for a long time.
Even then, I don't know too many open field tacklers better than Brown.

Dang, what a fun year that was. I still remember Matty O and his three pick game when we knocked off OU in Lincoln. Made Landry Jones look like a total punk. That defense was nuts.

I wish I was around to watch Mike Brown play ball here. That was a little before my time. (Wow, just looked up his Wikipedia page-- did not realize he finished at NU right at the turn of the millennium. He's a lot younger than I thought. Shame he got banged up right in the prime of his career the Da Bears... seems like he had a very good NFL career nonetheless.)