Making America Great Again

There seems to be plenty of Trump bashing sprinkled into just about every thread, so the intent of this thread is to focus on the positive changes Trump's election victory is bringing to the U.S. While he has not yet been sworn in, we have already seen evidence of companies keeping jobs in the US, and we have also seen consumer confidence soar since his election victory. The stock markets have also soared and are at all-time highs, but I will admit the market results do not always equate to how everyday Americans are truly feeling.

Here is one good article (of many out there now) discussing the rise in optimism across the country.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-09/consumer-sentiment-in-u-s-rises-to-highest-since-january-2015

Now for this to be sustained, Trump is going to have to deliver, and should he not deliver, I would expect this optimism to fall back to their levels from the past few years.

You serious, Clark?

• Fire 3

• Ending the war on Christmas and Christian oppression.
  • Make sure everyone in America says "Radical Islamic Terrorism." Had this been the case, by my calculations, ISIS would've been defeated over 12 years ago, or Obama would have never founded it, whichever comes first.
  • Install a Trump Grill in the Swamp.
  • Stop the rest of the world from laughing at us.
  • Fix the deficit by eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse. Math is unnecessary.

Just some ideas.

• Fire 3

When was America great?

When did it stop being great?

Why did it stop being great?

What are the benchmarks we should look for so we know when it's great again?

Before.

Now.

Because of the division and the liberal agenda.

????????

????????:

less boys kissing boys

get rid of the pu**sification of football so we can have concussions again

no more PC culture!!1

if you can't speak american you're deported

more smog, less hippie regulations

increase industrial waste entering our rivers. it prevented autism.

I like your style

Placeholder:

Step 1. Wall

Step 2. Immigration reform

Step 3. 35% import tax

Step 4. Profit

If the bolded is in fact what everyone wants, I hope everyone also realizes that will cause a big increase in consumer prices.

Everyone wants great paying jobs and to stop importing products if they can be made here and at the same time, they want to go to Walmart and by a pair of shoes for $12.99.

Those two are contradictory to each other.

"I hope everyone also realizes that will cause a big increase in consumer prices"...

...on items imported from US companies that offshored their business. Personally I would be ok with that...others might not be cool with it.

Placeholder:

Step 1. Wall

Step 3. 35% import tax

Step 4. Profit

If the bolded is in fact what everyone wants, I hope everyone also realizes that will cause a big increase in consumer prices.

Everyone wants great paying jobs and to stop importing products if they can be made here and at the same time, they want to go to Walmart and by a pair of shoes for $12.99.

"I hope everyone also realizes that will cause a big increase in consumer prices"...

...on items imported from US companies that offshored their business. Personally I would be ok with that...others might not be cool with it.

OK...so to clarify, this is just on products from American companies that import products.

Placeholder:

Step 1. Wall

Step 3. 35% import tax

Step 4. Profit

That means the cheap goods go up. Those that were already made here were probably already more expensive to begin with.

Which in turn means the entire market price on goods goes up. Like you said, if people are fine paying more for American products, that's a good thing. But people shouldn't expect jobs to just flood back AND to be able to stroll into Walmart and be able to pickup a new smart TV for $150. It just ins't going to work like that.

The funny thing about this is it's likely he will offer some form of tax incentive to bring that product manufacturing back here. So, where a company was previously saving cash by offshoring for cheap labor, they'll now do it through a combination of more expensive American wages and tax breaks.

You know who the loser is there? The consumer. The product price will go up even if the cost of producing it is the same, particularly once the tax help the companies get goes away.

The other funny thing about it is like BRB kind of said it will negatively affect a lot of people who think they're for it. I personally hate Walmart and do everything I can to shop local and buy local and American products, even if it means paying twice as much.

Racist!!!

Products made by 7 year old Southeast Asian kid not good enough for you?

The other funny thing about it is like BRB kind of said it will negatively affect a lot of people who think they're for it. I personally hate Walmart and do everything I can to shop local and buy local and American products, even if it means paying twice as much.

Racist!!!

Products made by 7 year old Southeast Asian kid not good enough for you?

Yes. I mean no.

Placeholder:

Step 1. Wall

Step 3. 35% import tax

Step 4. Profit

That means the cheap goods go up. Those that were already made here were probably already more expensive to begin with.

Which in turn means the entire market price on goods goes up. Like you said, if people are fine paying more for American products, that's a good thing. But people shouldn't expect jobs to just flood back AND to be able to stroll into Walmart and be able to pickup a new smart TV for $150. It just ins't going to work like that.

The funny thing about this is it's likely he will offer some form of tax incentive to bring that product manufacturing back here. So, where a company was previously saving cash by offshoring for cheap labor, they'll now do it through a combination of more expensive American wages and tax breaks.

You know who the loser is there? The consumer. The product price will go up even if the cost of producing it is the same, particularly once the tax help the companies get goes away.

Well, if this is only on products owned by American companies but produced somewhere else and imported, the big loser is American companies. This would be a disaster.

Let's say I own a company in Lincoln Nebraska that makes shoes. The market got extremely tight due to other companies importing shoes so I was forced to move my manufacturing to China. NOW, the government is going to tax my products 35% because I live in Lincoln and have my shoes made in China.

Everything looks great, right? Well, the fact is, my biggest competitor is a Canadian company that is importing shoes from China. Now, I am instantly put in a 35% hole only because my home office is in Lincoln.