Coaches Salaries

TGHusker

www.newspapers.com/clip/8414188/1982_osborne_pay/

Hard to believe, Osborne's pay in 1982 was under $60k @ $58,500. Amazing how coach's salaries have ballooned.

Got me thinking- who in today's college coaching ranks do you think are over paid and which ones may be under paid.

• Fire 1

www.newspapers.com/clip/8414188/1982_osborne_pay/

Hard to believe, Osborne's pay in 1982 was under $60k @ $58,500. Amazing how coach's salaries have ballooned.

Got me thinking- who in today's college coaching ranks do you think are over paid and which ones may be under paid.

When I started teaching in 1980 my first salary was $9800

When I joined the Marine Corps in 1965, base pay was around 86.00 a month. I think it went to just over 95.00 while I was in boot camp. Off to Viet Nam and made great money. lol

Personally, I don't think there is a coach in the world worth what we pay them. Nor do I think basketball, baseball, hockey, football professionals are worth 2% of what they are paid. Sports is out of control.

I remember when we were hiring Bo, Coach Osborne thought that 500K was too much. He learned quickly that things had changed since he left coaching.

I remember that also. In most cases, the highest paid state employee is the head football or basketball coach. Of course this happens in business also. I had a large staff under me in one job and in order to get qualified candidates I had to pay above the normal rates - more than what some of the seasoned employees had worked up to. Word had gotten out and that caused a not so small employee attitude problem that had to be dealt with. College grads often can earn as much as a seasoned employee for the same job. It is all relative- housing and other expenses are higher than what the seasoned employee experienced when they started out. However, the inflation of the coaching salaries is unbelievable. It is comparable to a CEO of a large successful corp. College football is now a business enterprise that supports most of the university's athletic budget. Stockholders want CEOs to enhance the value of their ownership and it works the same way wt the value the CEO coach is to bring to the school.

When I joined the Marine Corps in 1965, base pay was around 86.00 a month. I think it went to just over 95.00 while I was in boot camp. Off to Viet Nam and made great money. lol

Personally, I don't think there is a coach in the world worth what we pay them. Nor do I think basketball, baseball, hockey, football professionals are worth 2% of what they are paid. Sports is out of control.

Well not really. They are actually worth every penny when you consider the sports entertainment business model and how much revenue that has created. Supply and demand. They are being paid as much because people pay to see them play. Alot of people, millions all over the world. There is a reason these people are paid so much, there business has done very well.

Where would you suggest that all of the revenue they create should go? In the owner's pockets?

Michigan is committed to paying Jim Harbaugh's top three football assistants $1 million each per year. In doing so, it becomes the first public institution, of those that are required to make contracts available via Freedom of Information Act request, to pay three assistant coaches at least $1 million each.

Defensive coordinator Don Brown and offensive coordinator Tim Drevno have been retained with contracts worth more than $10 million combined over the next five years. Passing coordinator Pep Hamilton was lured away from the Cleveland Browns with a $4.25 million, four-year deal.

ESPN

Nothing but greed. Top to bottom.

I don't need to watch the games, I do it because I want to. I don't watch professional sports, I don't support a pro team. I think the college game is turning into the pro idea, and I am not in favor of it.

And it just goes higher and higher, as educators, doctors and people that we depend on, pay goes down overall. A friend of mine is a Dr. at a HMO, he has to see 40 patients minimum a day to make a descent wage. He starts at 7am, leaves the office at 7pm then home to do paper work. We have lost touch with reality, when a person playing a game makes the kind of money they make.

Put it out there the masses will follow I guess.

I think it is crazy how much professional athletes make. Especially because I have to pay the same amount of money for one beer at a game that I could use to buy a twelve pack. Some teams are losing long time fans because ticket prices are so damn high for crappy seats. Baseball has to play 300 games a year just to pay the players

Yall talk about its not right what these people get paid but that's capitalism! Goodness gracious sports entertainment is a business and the players and coaches get paid in accordance to what the business is bringing in. It's not nefarious we aren't paying other professionals less money because of sports that is just how the market works. If you don't want to see them paid so much, stop watching I'm sure their salaries will adjust accordingly

• Fire 2