Frank Martin (SCar HC) on Generational Differences

I don't think kids today are bad or really much different than 30 to 40 years ago. In fact in many ways they are probably better than when I was a teen. But there is no denying that society and technology has changed and it has affected the outlook and behavior of kids. Social media and all the instant gratification has caused a shift. For some, what was worth all your heart and effort just isn't worth it anymore. It's not a knock on kids today, it's just the way it is. Hell my kids and their friends are way more responsible and mature than I and my friends were in the 70's and 80's. But I can also say that they are not prone to working as hard. I also see it in the work ethic of 20 and 30 somethings. They are much more apt to hop jobs and be more concerned about themselves and less concerned about their employer or job. Maybe not a bad thing but it is different than it was 40 years ago.

40 years ago you could count on your company to give you a raise and keep you around if you worked hard. Now your pretty lucky if you bust your butt and get a raise. The easiest way to get a raise is to leave your old job for a new one. It's not lack of loyalty or caring from this generation it's just the way corporations work now. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to get out to explore and learn at new places that aren't down the street from where you grew up.

This is how I see it. Recently a guy in his mid 50s who had been at my company for years was fired. Big companies aren't as loyal as they used to be so why should employees be?

I don't have a problem when people leave current jobs for a job they consider a better opportunity. I would and have done the same thing.

I do have a problem when people have unrealistic expectations from their employer, don't put in good effort when things don't go their way, and expect promotions and other things to be given to them after a couple years on the job. The younger work force also doesn't value the experience and general professional knowledge that older employees have.

Not really. I jumped to the conclusion that he is putting the blame of many problems on the shoulders of parents.

I buy into that 100%.

How many of the posters here are parents?

Now, how many of you have kids that are active in sports?

Now, how many of you complain about firing your kids' coaches like you do Husker coaches?

That's what has changed. Many years ago, parents weren't out to get everyone. Now they are like a bird on a worm. For some odd reason, they think by doing that they are doing what is right for their kid. When in reality, all that is really doing is teaching their kid that if things don't go your way, you make excuses and go for other's heads. Not how the world should work.

Teach your kids that sometimes things don't go your way. Teach your kids that sometimes when you fail, you just have to work harder, learn more.

Coach Martin wasn't just talking about sports, he was talking about life in general. I used our "FIRE THAT GUY" mantra from Huskerboard, because it's what a ton of our posters do, and it's wrong. It's truly so relevant though.

I don't think kids today are bad or really much different than 30 to 40 years ago. In fact in many ways they are probably better than when I was a teen. But there is no denying that society and technology has changed and it has affected the outlook and behavior of kids. Social media and all the instant gratification has caused a shift. For some, what was worth all your heart and effort just isn't worth it anymore. It's not a knock on kids today, it's just the way it is. Hell my kids and their friends are way more responsible and mature than I and my friends were in the 70's and 80's. But I can also say that they are not prone to working as hard. I also see it in the work ethic of 20 and 30 somethings. They are much more apt to hop jobs and be more concerned about themselves and less concerned about their employer or job. Maybe not a bad thing but it is different than it was 40 years ago.

40 years ago you could count on your company to give you a raise and keep you around if you worked hard. Now your pretty lucky if you bust your butt and get a raise. The easiest way to get a raise is to leave your old job for a new one. It's not lack of loyalty or caring from this generation it's just the way corporations work now. Plus there is a lot of opportunity to get out to explore and learn at new places that aren't down the street from where you grew up.

This is how I see it. Recently a guy in his mid 50s who had been at my company for years was fired. Big companies aren't as loyal as they used to be so why should employees be?

I don't have a problem when people leave current jobs for a job they consider a better opportunity. I would and have done the same thing.

I do have a problem when people have unrealistic expectations from their employer, don't put in good effort when things don't go their way, and expect promotions and other things to be given to them after a couple years on the job. The younger work force also doesn't value the experience and general professional knowledge that older employees have.

I'm sorry guys, but I don't think job hopping is what Frank Martin was referring to at all.

I'm sorry guys, but I don't think job hopping is what Frank Martin was referring to at all.

But Martin was talking about the younger generation and we used real life examples that we have encountered. I don't see the issue with our discussion.

• Fire 2

But Martin was talking about the younger generation and we used real life examples that we have encountered. I don't see the issue with our discussion.

Fair enough. I don't have an issue with it.

When it comes to jobs, and also when it comes to consumer habits, the millenial generation is a lot more inwardly focused because it's the first generation to spend essentially all of our adulthood with the internet and mass media, coupled with the realization that so many of the tropes that we're told about the American dream are bullsh#t. We've given up trusting the marketing, the pitches, the "work hard and you'll be taken care of" promises.

• Fire 1

I think we do value it, but their is equally was much lazyness in those with experience.

Maybe not a promotion, but a raise aftet a couple years would be nice. If it's performance based it shows that they see your work. You can't expect people to grind and grind with out some kind of incentive.

Not really. I jumped to the conclusion that he is putting the blame of many problems on the shoulders of parents.

I buy into that 100%.

Now, how many of you complain about firing your kids' coaches like you do Husker coaches?

That's what has changed. Many years ago, parents weren't out to get everyone. Now they are like a bird on a worm. For some odd reason, they think by doing that they are doing what is right for their kid. When in reality, all that is really doing is teaching their kid that if things don't go your way, you make excuses and go for other's heads. Not how the world should work.

Teach your kids that sometimes things don't go your way. Teach your kids that sometimes when you fail, you just have to work harder, learn more.

Coach Martin wasn't just talking about sports, he was talking about life in general. I used our "FIRE THAT GUY" mantra from Huskerboard, because it's what a ton of our posters do, and it's wrong. It's truly so relevant though.

Comparing youth sports to coaches getting paid millions of dollars is apples and oranges. One is a paid job, one is volunteer work.

Like, not even comparable.

And I say this as someone who's been coaching youth baseball for a few years, and am currently coaching two baseball teams this spring.

Counterpoint: He's talking about kids not being challenged, and not being pushed to work as hard or do their best, and learn the value or hard work paying off. Aka, everyone's a winner, here's a participation trophy.

Mommies and daddy's complain that their kid isn't the starting pitcher, but they don't show up to every practice, or the kid just isn't that good. Don't come in and coast, and expect to get things handed to you, because you will get replaced.

That's a little different situation than coaches who have all the resources in the world not meeting the goals set before them.

• Fire 2

I buy into that 100%.

Comparing youth sports to coaches getting paid millions of dollars is apples and oranges. One is a paid job, one is volunteer work.

And I say this as someone who's been coaching youth baseball for a few years, and am currently coaching two baseball teams this spring.

Counterpoint: He's talking about kids not being challenged, and not being pushed to work as hard or do their best, and learn the value or hard work paying off. Aka, everyone's a winner, here's a participation trophy.

Mommies and daddy's complain that their kid isn't the starting pitcher, but they don't show up to every practice, or the kid just isn't that good. Don't come in and coast, and expect to get things handed to you, because you will get replaced.

That's a little different situation than coaches who have all the resources in the world not meeting the goals set before them.

So, you think it's okay for the parents of the little leaguers you are coaching, going after your job because you won't let Billy bat lead off and play shortstop? Or would that be the point Frank is making??

My counterpoint on coaches having millions in resources: Don't the coaches they are competing against have the exact same resources in many cases? Gosh, those guys should just roll over for our team! How dare they! Give us our Championship! Because we have earned it!? And you haven't!? Aren't a lot of those coaches actually placed in better areas of the country for football also? Gosh, I mean, I just don't get why other coaches won't roll over for us and let us have what we have worked for!

-Signed Frank Martin

Companies should give raises every year as long as:

a) there's inflation

b) they have as much of a profit increase that year as there is inflation

c) the employees are doing their jobs

Anything less is the equivalent to telling an employee they are doing a bad job. Inflation raises should be given unless an employee is not doing what is asked of them.

Gotta have a healthy cynicism about these motivational poster soundbites. They're good as long as they're useful. If you really want to take the analytical road, it's just more sans-historical-perspective gnashing of the teeth about how the current/future generations/world/etc are going to hell.

He flips it on its head and that's a clever trick, but gosh, guys, let's not act like he's made some philosophical breakthrough.

Of course, we are in the age of passing off captioned photos on social media as the profound wisdom of our day. So, some hypocritical grumbling of my own here...

I think Frank has a point. Parents today are much more of the Helocoptor type than ever before. too many moms and dads are worried about their kids getting hurt or not getting a fair shake in whatever is going on.

My mother mever made a play date when I was a kid. During the summer my mom worked and my brother and I went to the pool or goofed off around the neighborhood in Omaha without supervision all day. Now that would be considered child endangerment. I was much more wise to the dangers of the world at age 8 than my children ever thought of being at 12. You played with the neighborehood kids and only went home at lunch and at dinner time and then when the street lights came on.

We didn't have hand sanitizer and when you got super dirty you washed and didn't worry about getting germs all the time.

Parents have changed so kids have changed.

I do think the fact that many millenials are more interested in looking out for themselves is a good thing. Delaying gratification till you are 65 years old is stupid. Get out and do things. If you want to take a trip to Africa for your honeymoon than do it. I bring this up because my nephew did this for his honeymoon in January and some of the older folks thought it was a bit much.

• Fire 3

There is nothing wrong with kids getting participation trophies to recognize their hard work and dedication to something.

I disagree. It devalues actual accomplishments. Your reward is learning to be apart of something bigger than you, and learning to work as a team. And if you don't win it all? That's ok, because that's part of life. You don't get a reward just for showing up.

During fall developmental baseball, it's basically glorified scrimmages, and we don't keep score for games. Yet we still had a few parents upset ( that we didn't give out trophies to everyone (thankfully, not on our team).

We teach our kids to play the game the right way, learn sportsmanship, respect your teammates and opponents, and how to be gracious in victory or defeat.

I buy into that 100%.

So, you think it's okay for the parents of the little leaguers you are coaching, going after your job because you won't let Billy bat lead off and play shortstop? Or would that be the point Frank is making??

My counterpoint on coaches having millions in resources: Don't the coaches they are competing against have the exact same resources in many cases? Gosh, those guys should just roll over for our team! How dare they! Give us our Championship! Because we have earned it!? And you haven't!? Aren't a lot of those coaches actually placed in better areas of the country for football also? Gosh, I mean, I just don't get why other coaches won't roll over for us and let us have what we have worked for!

-Signed Frank Martin

Again, comparing a volunteer to being paid. If you're hired to win championships, and continually fall short, you're failing at your job.