Frank Martin (SCar HC) on Generational Differences

I am going to back peddle a little bit on this. There is an area that kids now days have a major problem. Put your F***ing phone away when you are supposed to be working.

We have a great young guy working in a department where he operates a machine producing a certain product. Most of the time he does a great job but all of a sudden he will make a mistake that doesn't make sense. Yesterday his manager caught him doing something on his phone while he was supposed to be concentrating on doing his job.

What was he doing....you might ask???? Writing wrap lyrics. Not kidding.

He works alone on this machine and when he's thinking and has a great idea for a wrap song, he is just overwhelmed with the need to bring out his phone and type out his knew lyrics. Meanwhile, his machine is still working and very possibly making a mistake.

THAT was not something my generation had a problem with back in the 80s.

I am going to back peddle a little bit on this. There is an area that kids now days have a major problem. Put your F***ing phone away when you are supposed to be working.

We have a great young guy working in a department where he operates a machine producing a certain product. Most of the time he does a great job but all of a sudden he will make a mistake that doesn't make sense. Yesterday his manager caught him doing something on his phone while he was supposed to be concentrating on doing his job.

He works alone on this machine and when he's thinking and has a great idea for a wrap song, he is just overwhelmed with the need to bring out his phone and type out his knew lyrics. Meanwhile, his machine is still working and very possibly making a mistake.

tenor.gif

• Fire 1

That's not a generational thing, though. People of all ages have their faces buried in their phones when they should be doing something else.

• Fire 1

That's not a generational thing, though. People of all ages have their faces buried in their phones when they should be doing something else.

Had a guy turn on ESPN on our conference room TV during a meeting because he was playing on his phone. He's twice my age

Had a guy turn on ESPN on our conference room TV during a meeting because he was playing on his phone. He's twice my age

I have a 50+ year old employee that we have had to tell on more than one occasion to put his phone away.

This generation will turn out fine....So will the next, and those after that. Every generation finds the next one repulsive, for some reason.

I don't think there is any question that the millenial generation will turn out fine. But, some definitely have a different view of work and what is important to them. ColoradoHusk in post 9 made a great point about a younger coworker wanting to take a sabbatical to do something in Europe and then expecting his job to be there. I think this generation is much more intune to wanting to enjoy life and not be hitched to the grind stone all the time. Working saving and trying to get ahead is a lot less important to them. This is a general statement and not even close to being true in all cases.

I don't think that is a bad thing personally, I am 51 years old and have spent way too much time worrying about saving and making a buck, when a few 3 day weekends would have been a lot more fun and memorable.

r7l43Jk.jpg

My father retired recently after 40 years as a teacher and then principal, citing being tired with dealing with the role. So when he said that I asked him this exact same question, and his reply was: "The kids haven't changed. Kids are kids. It's the parents who have changed." In general what he meant is that the parents and school used to be on the same side, but now for the most part parents question and battle them constantly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1r59ii/teachers_with_20_years_of_experience_how_have/cdjpt3f/

• Fire 1

r7l43Jk.jpg

My father retired recently after 40 years as a teacher and then principal, citing being tired with dealing with the role. So when he said that I asked him this exact same question, and his reply was: "The kids haven't changed. Kids are kids. It's the parents who have changed." In general what he meant is that the parents and school used to be on the same side, but now for the most part parents question and battle them constantly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1r59ii/teachers_with_20_years_of_experience_how_have/cdjpt3f/

I would agree with you father on this point after teaching for 21 years. I don't know how many times parents took their childs side when they were in the wrong and fought tooth and nail about something. There was always some parent every year that thought their kid was being picked on by teachers, even though the kid was a real jerk. There was also great parents that were a blessing to work with.