Fall Camp Updates - Offensive Line

22 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Knevel is soft and that is the issue. Farniok doesn't move well like an elite tackle should. Rairdon is not strong enough and neither is Decker. 

The most troubling part for me is the lack of emergence by Decker. All things pointed to him being the center of the future since H.S. because he had everything a center needed to be successful. Rairdon and Farniok moving around in their first two years is also troubling.  

I don't find that troubling unless we see the line struggle this year.  

8 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Knevel is soft and that is the issue. Farniok doesn't move well like an elite tackle should. Rairdon is not strong enough and neither is Decker. 

The most troubling part for me is the lack of emergence by Decker. All things pointed to him being the center of the future since H.S. because he had everything a center needed to be successful. Rairdon and Farniok moving around in their first two years is also troubling.  

Decker is a redshirt sophomore, no?

I don't think there's much to worry about if a younger player is having trouble supplanting a potentially older and/or more experienced player on the offensive line. I think it's the single toughest position group to win a spot on, and I would argue experience is probably more important in this position group than any other.

I agree with BRB - it's only trouble if Nebraska's line struggles this year.

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

Kind of surprised Conrad hasn't gotten a look at RT and moving decker into the C role...

Center is (IMO) the most important position on the line, even though people often laud over a good pass pro LT. Several commentators believe he's probably got the best football knowledge of the bunch and his experience makes him a strong candidate to lead the unit.

3 minutes ago, Enhance89 said:

Decker is a redshirt sophomore, no?

I don't think there's much to worry about if a younger player is having trouble supplanting a potentially older and/or more experienced player on the offensive line. I think it's the single toughest position group to win a spot on, and I would argue experience is probably more important in this position group than any other.

I agree with BRB - it's only trouble if Nebraska's line struggles this year.

It is his third year in the program and hes getting beat by a swing guy who is a walk on and did not practice as a center last year. I have a lot to worry about. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Enhance89 said:

Center is (IMO) the most important position on the line, even though people often laud over a good pass pro LT. Several commentators believe he's probably got the best football knowledge of the bunch and his experience makes him a strong candidate to lead the unit.

Although I would still put a priority on LT, your point about C is well taken. However, the purpose on moving Conrad to C was to get the 5 best linemen on the field. If Knevel is really struggling then is Knevel still one of our best 5 and better then Decker??

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

It is his third year in the program and hes getting beat by a swing guy who is a walk on and did not practice as a center last year. I have a lot to worry about. 

Like I said, it's a tough position group to win a starting job in. Conrad has more experience and has been in the program longer. The fact that Decker didn't beat him out is relatively unsurprising. Guys like Vrzal and Benning have said since camp started that it was likely going to be Conrad's job.

We still have two weeks until a game. For the record, I'm as skeptical of our line as just about any fan.

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

Although I would still put a priority on LT, your point about C is well taken. However, the purpose on moving Conrad to C was to get the 5 best linemen on the field. If Knevel is really struggling then is Knevel still one of our best 5 and better then Decker??

It's a certainly a question worth discussing.

As I mentioned, from my perspective, experience/seniority tends to matter more on the offensive line than in just about any other position group. Knevel is that senior and has played in about 23 games. That's a tough guy to beat if you're younger and less experienced, especially if the majority of your experience was on ST (which is the case for Decker).

I just think we should be careful with this narrative suggesting Decker is somehow behind in his development or failing to reach expectations. He's a redshirt sophomore who could potentially play three more full seasons at Nebraska. I think worrying right now, two weeks out from game one, is premature.

2 minutes ago, Enhance89 said:

Like I said, it's a tough position group to win a starting job in. Conrad has more experience and has been in the program longer. The fact that Decker didn't beat him out is relatively unsurprising. Guys like Vrzal and Benning have said since camp started that it was likely going to be Conrad's job.

We still have two weeks until a game. For the record, I'm as skeptical of our line as just about any fan.

Obviously I want the best out there and if Conrad is that guy then good. Still, Conrad only has one year on Decker and Michael was prepped for center since he arrived. Three years of Center development compared to a few months and you lose the job? That cant be because Conrad is that good. Development beyond the 1st string is bad. Boe Wilson is Cav's boy because he came in better than advertised. Everyone else is falling through the cracks and it cannot be because of a lack of talent. Btw Enhance, I am not really critiquing your reasoning. I am sort of adding to it. Sort of. 

No worries - I don't take debate personally. I try to approach most conversations here as if I'm discussing it over a beer.

I agree with some of the points you're making. I should be clear, too: I think it's OK to have some general concerns about these kinds of things. Your language simply suggested you were substantially worried and I was trying to bring your blood pressure back down. :lol:

One other thing to consider here is playing time in relation to the position. IIRC, Decker played last year but almost exclusively on special teams. Conrad was a back up and then played on the line for essentially the last month of the season. So, if you're someone like me who puts a lot of emphasis on experience on the line, then it's fairly easy to rationalize why Decker may be a step behind. That's how I rationalize it, at least.

• Plus1 1