Roll Skers

Realistic Coaching Hires with the AD

Nebhawk    259

We really don't know what the plan is, but its going to all work out.  I still think that we are headed for a Frosty Christmas.

jessica0    359
8 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Exactly. There is a very, very small group of schools that have the ability to poach successful power 5 coaches away. Nebraska isn't one of them, which isn't a slight. 99% of schools are in this group.

Lets even look at the "blue bloods" of the college football world and their most recent hires:

Michigan - picked up Harbaugh after he was being shown the door at the NFL. Harbaugh being an alum is the only reason this happened. Clearly would not have happened if Harbaugh was in a secure position in the NFL.

Ohio State - hired Urban from the booth.

Alabama - hired Saban away after two mediocre seasons in NFL.

Oklahoma - hired a coordinator

Texas - hired a guy with 2 years of experience outside the Power 5

Notre Dame - hired a guy from outside the Power 5

USC - hired a coordinator

Florida State - hired a coordinator

Penn St. - hired a HC with 3 relatively successful years at SEC doormat

Almost nobody hires away other power 5 coaches with sustained success because, frankly, there just isn't that many of them.

LSU hired their defensive line coach after previously hiring Saban away from Michigan State and Miles from Oklahoma State. Georgia hired a defensive coordinator. Miami hired a coach that got fired from Georgia. Syracuse hired a coach from a MAC school. Virginia Tech hired a coach from Memphis. Virginia hired a coach from BYU. 

Every head coach moves up from the ranks of assistant or coordinator. You strike gold when you get the next stud that is moving up from assistant or coordinator. 

The reality is, even if you hire a coach from another P5 school that wins big, it is highly unlikely to happen twice in a row. 

Oklahoma hired a coordinator and again hired a coordinator. 

If a P5 coach gets poached soon, I suspect it will be the Iowa State head coach. 

Penn State hired their coach from Vandy after two 9 win seasons. Before that they were hiring guys from the NFL. 

Edited by jessica0

Nebhawk    259

Here is what I feel is going to happen if we don't move towards Frost.  Florida will come open, and with the ties that Frost already has with Florida in recruiting, this might be his destination job if we don't go after him.  Sounds like the natives are restless.  Could we fire this Riley guy already, and get our ducks in a row!

Hayseed    484
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Here is what I feel is going to happen if we don't move towards Frost.  Florida will come open, and with the ties that Frost already has with Florida in recruiting, this might be his destination job if we don't go after him.  Sounds like the natives are restless.  Could we fire this Riley guy already, and get our ducks in a row!

I bet several people have already talked to him, former coaches and players, and they know if it's a possibility or not.
If not, everybody needs to move on. 

unlfan    485
1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

LSU hired their defensive line coach after previously hiring Saban away from Michigan State and Miles from Oklahoma State. Georgia hired a defensive coordinator. Miami hired a coach that got fired from Georgia. Syracuse hired a coach from a MAC school. Virginia Tech hired a coach from Memphis. Virginia hired a coach from BYU. 

Every head coach moves up from the ranks of assistant or coordinator. You strike gold when you get the next stud that is moving up from assistant or coordinator. 

The reality is, even if you hire a coach from another P5 school that wins big, it is highly unlikely to happen twice in a row. 

Oklahoma hired a coordinator and again hired a coordinator. 

If a P5 coach gets poached soon, I suspect it will be the Iowa State head coach. 

Exactly my point.

All hires Nebraska will make will be either the coordinator candidate, "rising star" candidate or some form of the "established coach at lower tier school" candidate that "might be able to do more with more resources". Those are the realistic choices. For obvious reasons I don't think Nebraska will go the latter route again.

All talk of getting somebody like David Shaw is just ridiculous.

ladyhawke    559
1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I bet several people have already talked to him, former coaches and players, and they know if it's a possibility or not.

I wonder if Scott has already been approached as well and he's on hold until his contract is over. Interesting. 

Hayseed    484
9 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I wonder if Scott has already been approached as well and he's on hold until his contract is over. Interesting. 

I bet the administration hasn't but he has a bunch of Husker contacts.....if you pass them say "Frost!" and see if they smile. 

Edit-For all we know they're going a different direction and every guess will be wrong, like it was for AD.

Edited by Hayseed

Bad2theBONES    64
4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I found 11 kids from 2016 in that list, 6 from 2015, 6 from 2014. If we keep those kids, we are much better. But I also think there are some very good kids that haven't completely developed enough to be highly recruited. That is where a network can help identify kids with potential. Give those kids 3 years in the NU weight room, and some of them will be contributors.

Kyle Emanuel from Schuyler, Ne who graduated in 2008 and won four championships with North Dakota State as a DE and now plays NFL for the Chargers. NDSU career record holder with 69 tackles for loss and tied the career mark of 41 sacks...Finished his career sixth in FCS history and fourth in Missouri Valley Football Conference history with 35.5 career sacks…Played in all 61 career games including 49 starts...The Bison went 58-3 in his career with four conference championships and four NCAA national titles.

There is plenty of kids like this that are from small towns and get overlooked and don't go to DI colleges. 

skersfan    1,347

I would take Kyle Whittingham over all of them.  Stoops is not coming here to die.  He is concerned with health and family.  This place is far more stressful than Oklahoma.

But anyone thinking that Coach Osborne has not talked to Scott Frost has no idea of their relationship.   Not saying he has been offered or anything of the such.  But I would bet a years pay they have talked.'

I do not personally know Coach Frost, but do know he is very important to Coach Osborne.   Personally I think Coach Frost coming to Nebraska will fall mostly on Coach Osborne and his recommendation, not to Nebraska but Scott.  I am not sure he would tell him to come at this time.   

Nebhawk    259

I am sure that last weekend when his former teammates were all in Lincoln for the 20 year bash, he was texted, face timed and all other sorts of communication.  He is very aware of the situation.     

We have get back to respectable before we get to super once again.  This is also with our coaching search as well.  The fact that anyone thinks we can get a guy like Shaw, is not being realistic.  Realistic is getting a guy who wants to be here, and wants to make Nebraska great, not themselves.  It really only comes down to one guy that fits that criteria.  I however would settle for that person who could restore the program back and if they chose to move on for another job, then at least we would have a leg to stand on this time.

mnhusker    129
52 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand your concern, but how many power 5 head coaches who are actually "successful" are in a place to leave their current school in favor of another? It just doesn't happen very often. 

Yea I  know,  Its wishful thinking from my end.  At least Frost would be a solid pick if he keeps up the strong season.  

Bad2theBONES    64

What are the chances we could throw a ridiculous number out at Jon Gruden and get him? Not too many people I could get excited about, but he would be one. I know this isn't realistic, but just for fun. 

grandpasknee    877

My guess is that sufficient conversations have been had between the Frost camp and the University to know pretty well if Scott would be interested and what it would take to get him here if he is interested.  He's got a great thing going at UCF and would not jeopardize this year by letting anything out of the bag, even hints or suspicions at this point.  But the fear of "waiting till the last minute" are moot.  U.N.-L. already knows whether or not he's interested and if he is, they've done all they can to lock it up and not be johnny come lately to the Frost courting dance.

Hedley Lamarr    2,331

Matt Campbell at ISU would be a solid hire if we strike out on any big names. I really think Moos is going to find the right guy. I also think he will be influenced to make a run at Frost. The guy is a winner and would at a minimum unite husker nation once again immediately. We would all root for him period. 

Bad2theBONES    64

Dear Lord how many Scott Frost threads are we going to have? So many assumptions. This hire (if it even happens) will be no different than when Riley was hired, or when Moos was announced. No one had the slightest clue after all that speculation and pretending we did.

Coach Power'T    1,327

Ideally I would love to see a guy come in that runs a navy/New Mexico and Wisconsin/Stanford blended offense. 

GaTech is the proof you can’t just go full flexbone mode.

I don’t know if that guy exists...but the closest guy to it is Troy Calhoun. I know NU isnt going there. Wish he’d get a look.

My list after Frost

1. David Shaw

2. Troy Calhoun

3. New Mexico version of Bob Davie

Coach Power'T    1,327

I’ve heard Chip Kelly May ultimately be headed to UCLA.

I also read that UF is in the mix for Frost. Which is not ideal for NU considering Frosts comments about recruiting and how he doesn’t like the travel to do it nationally.

brophog    718
14 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

GaTech is the proof you can’t just go full flexbone mode.

Not only that, but it's so boring. It's like a broken video game where a guy finds an exploit involving standing in the corner and hitting one button for hours. 

Jeremy    238
5 minutes ago, brophog said:

Not only that, but it's so boring. It's like a broken video game where a guy finds an exploit involving standing in the corner and hitting one button for hours. 

They used to say that about Osborne

brophog    718
1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

They used to say that about Osborne

They used to say a lot that was wrong about Osborne.

4skers89    514
23 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't know what they called Georgia Southern's offense from 2013 but I could watch this all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwohXO5tadY

brophog    718
1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

I don't know what they called Georgia Southern's offense from 2013 but I could watch this all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwohXO5tadY

Contrast with Paul Johnson's system from this week vs Miami.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdE2x3qQtcU

They're both flexbone systems, but notice how many more formations your video has than mine. Paul Johnson's offense is a base flexbone with two split receivers, two slots (A backs) and a fullback (B back). Sometimes those receivers are lined up in twins, sometimes a jumbo. That's pretty much it, though. He has a handful of core plays they run very well. It has a deceptive ability to throw the ball because you can use those slots much the same as any 2x2 team would.

I find it boring to watch because you're always seeing the same look. That's by design, of course. It's part of what makes it effective.

Edited by brophog

Danimal    212
4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Yes, this is certainly a case where we should make back-channel contact and find-out where a potential candidate stands.  If he isn't interested wish him the best and  move-on. If yes then we know we have a very nice bird in the hand and Riley is gone barring a miraculous turnaround. We'd also have a standard by which to gauge other potential candidates. If Frost wants the job then anyone else we look at better be top-notch. 

FTW    377

The Navy coach deserves to be at a better place, IMO. Not because of his style offense but his players play hard for him. This is what Nebraska desperately needs. I don't see Frost coming here and I have a hard time seeing us land any current Power 5 coach. If I had it my way, I'd offer David Shaw $8 or $9 mil a year and a huge buyout. That guy can flat out coach. He always has a physical offensive line, old school I-Formation offense with play action. He is at his alma mater, sure but maybe money talks.

gobiggergoredder    1,381
6 hours ago, Bad2theBONES said:

What are the chances we could throw a ridiculous number out at Jon Gruden and get him? Not too many people I could get excited about, but he would be one. I know this isn't realistic, but just for fun. 

Let's just stop.  Callahan 2.0.

Litterally no evidence that he could build a successful college program.  He's become an announcer that once was a football coach.

ColoradoHusk    3,840
37 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Let's just stop.  Callahan 2.0.

Litterally no evidence that he could build a successful college program.  He's become an announcer that once was a football coach.

I agree. I don't get the love for Gruden. He hasn't coached in nearly 10 years, and he would want to stick with a pro-style offense which I don't think is a good fit for the college game. 

MichiganDad3    897
7 hours ago, skersfan said:

I would take Kyle Whittingham over all of them.  Stoops is not coming here to die.  He is concerned with health and family.  This place is far more stressful than Oklahoma.

But anyone thinking that Coach Osborne has not talked to Scott Frost has no idea of their relationship.   Not saying he has been offered or anything of the such.  But I would bet a years pay they have talked.'

I do not personally know Coach Frost, but do know he is very important to Coach Osborne.   Personally I think Coach Frost coming to Nebraska will fall mostly on Coach Osborne and his recommendation, not to Nebraska but Scott.  I am not sure he would tell him to come at this time.   

I hope TO told him something along the lines that "sure Nebraska is a high stress job with a demanding fan base, but there is no such thing as a job that pays $5 million per year that is not high stress. If you a coaching job at that salary, in addition to high stress, you will have demanding fans, numerous journalist second guessing every move you make, and thousands of knuckleheads on football bulletin boards complaining about every move you make."

I don't think the poor situation here worries Frost at all. If you are hired (not replacing a retired coach like Solich did)at a top school for $5+ million per year, then the previous coach got fired, fans are upset, and expectations are high. Any job Frost wants will be no different. Tennesse's fan base seems to want Frost. I don't the the pressure there will be any less. It may even be worse, because what the remember the most about Frost was the curb stomping he delivered in 1997, and the brash talk afterward.

MichiganDad3    897
7 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

My guess is that sufficient conversations have been had between the Frost camp and the University to know pretty well if Scott would be interested and what it would take to get him here if he is interested.  He's got a great thing going at UCF and would not jeopardize this year by letting anything out of the bag, even hints or suspicions at this point.  But the fear of "waiting till the last minute" are moot.  U.N.-L. already knows whether or not he's interested and if he is, they've done all they can to lock it up and not be johnny come lately to the Frost courting dance.

What are the rules about officially contacting Frost? Could Frost sign a contract with Nebraska next week, and the entire thing be kept a secret until the end of the year?

teachercd    3,072

I don't think college coaching is as "James Bondish" as you might be thinking.  

If NU is interested they will have a firm contact UCF to ask for permission...they will say "yes"...the firm will contact Frost's agent and it will go from there.

Atbone95    1,176

Sean Callahan says this morning on the radio that Scott Frost has told those close to him that he wants the Nebraska job. 

Can anyone confirm? Saw that on twitter. 

Hayseed    484
35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't think college coaching is as "James Bondish" as you might be thinking.  

If NU is interested they will have a firm contact UCF to ask for permission...they will say "yes"...the firm will contact Frost's agent and it will go from there.

It would be "James Bondish" if half the former players and a former coach/AD didn't talk to him regularly....a little different than poaching a stranger. That doesn't mean the current admin is going that way though.

Hayseed    484
2 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Sean Callahan says this morning on the radio that Scott Frost has told those close to him that he wants the Nebraska job. 

What's the character of this guy Callahan? Is he known to make things up to get attention?

gorp512    103

Herman to Texas. 

Meyer to OSU

Smart to Georgia

Franklin to PSU (Kinda)

Is Frost to NU a kismet pairing , as well? 

gobiggergoredder    1,381

10 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

It would be "James Bondish" if half the former players and a former coach/AD didn't talk to him regularly....a little different than poaching a stranger. That doesn't mean the current admin is going that way though.

Matt Davison has talked about his relationship with Frost multiple times over the years.  Sounds like he visits, and obviously communicates, with him regularly.

Id assume MD is one of several with close ties to program that he talks to.

Edit:  Sean Callahan doesn't seem to me like someone that would make something up for radio attention.  Always seemed like a straight shooter.

Edited by gobiggergoredder

brophog    718
48 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

What's the character of this guy Callahan? Is he known to make things up to get attention?

He's covered Nebraska football for nearly two decades now, mostly online. Not a fly by night kinda guy. If he heard it, he probably heard it, which is still hearsay and may not mean anything.

Now, if he were to say the Nebraska admin wants Frost, I'll get interested, not before. I have an easier time believing Frost wants it than I do him being offered. 

Edited by brophog

Cdog923    1,064

Man, part of me wants Moos to name pretty much anyone other than Frost as HC, just to see the dumpster fire responses from fans and former players on Twitter. 

Edited by Cdog923

grandpasknee    877
4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Man, part of me wants Moos to name pretty much anyone other than Frost as HC, just to see the dumpster fire responses from fans and former players on Twitter. 

This is what it would look like:

giphy.gif

Fru    839
15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Image result for some men just want to watch the world burn

Red Five    3,333
1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

As long as Nate Clouse doesn't say that...

Red Five    3,333
18 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Yep.  If they don't get Frost, I'm done with Husker football.

... in all kinds of weather...