Huskers Have Chris Spielman to Thank for Landing JD

Mavric

"I was helping ESPN with the national championship broadcast a couple of years ago," Riley said Tuesday during the Big Ten coaches teleconference, "and (Chris) said, 'Hey, I want you took look at my nephew here.' "

Chris Spielman got his phone out, showed Riley some highlights, and a few weeks later Riley and his coaching staff were recruiting JD Spielman in Minnesota. 

JD will return to his home state this week, and so far this season, the redshirt freshman has been everything Riley wanted. He has 40 receptions for 593 yards and two touchdowns. 

Since Spielman played defensive back in high school, Riley said they took somewhat of a gamble putting Spielman at slot back. But it's paid off, he said. 

"JD has a really good football IQ," Riley said. "He’s got really good ability for what we like in our slot back and he’s versatile. He’s obviously a good receiver but he’s good run after catch. We use him a little in the run game so he gets the ball in his hands without throwing. He’s versatile but what separates him is he’s not phased where he is."

OWH

• Plus1 1

Thanks for posting Mavric.

I've been impressed overall with the young players who are seeing the field.  Spielman is a definite bright spot. 

Bryant started off as another bright spot and was a big loss.  Love the effort Ozigbo has been giving lately.  A one two counter punch of Bryant and Ozigbo would be a potent boost to the running game.

• Plus1 1

I know we might lose our class but man he fits in well with Moore on one side and Morgan on the other. Mix Cam Brown in on the outside to take the top off and get Lindsey some touches from all over. If our new coach could keep those guys coming in there are some dangerous weapons to work with. Now if only we could get a few big nasties 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Since Spielman played defensive back in high school, Riley said they took somewhat of a gamble putting Spielman at slot back. But it's paid off, he said. 

Did Sam know this before he put out his click tweet the other day about this staff thinking of playing Spielman at CB?  I'm guessing he did but didn't care because you know it is the OWH.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm really disappointed in how little Tyjon Lindsey is involved in the offense.  Not that I want Tanner throwing even more, but that guy needs touches. 

I was surprised at how little Lindsey is.  The guy is a midget out there.  He might have been able to use his speed to run around everyone in high school, but there is more speed in college and it's easy for defenders to knock guys off their routes.

I still have high hopes for him, and maybe they should just send him deep once a half just to see if he can get behind the defense, but he needs to get some bulk on him to be more effective, even in the slot.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was surprised at how little Lindsey is.  The guy is a midget out there.  He might have been able to use his speed to run around everyone in high school, but there is more speed in college and it's easy for defenders to knock guys off their routes.

I still have high hopes for him, and maybe they should just send him deep once a half just to see if he can get behind the defense, but he needs to get some bulk on him to be more effective, even in the slot.

Agree.  Tyjon is learning that there are bigger defenders on the field that can cover him.  He was playing HS ball just last season.  Might take him a year or 2 to figure out how to adjust

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Agree.  Tyjon is learning that there are bigger defenders on the field that can cover him.  He was playing HS ball just last season.  Might take him a year or 2 to figure out how to adjust

There is definitely a learning the college game curve for Lindsey.  I was just shocked that guy that is that small was an ESPN Top 100 recruit.

EDIT - Maybe that's the difference between Lindsey and Spielman.  JD was given a year to mature, hit the weight room, and play scout team to see how different the college game is.  I think Lindsey could be way more dynamic in a spread-open offense.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is definitely a learning the college game curve for Lindsey.  I was just shocked that guy that is that small was an ESPN Top 100 recruit.

I see someone who is still hesitant, even on the jet sweeps he got. Hopefully he can turn it around in the years to come

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I see someone who is still hesitant, even on the jet sweeps he got. Hopefully he can turn it around in the years to come

I agree that Lindsey hasn't looked good on jet sweeps.  Again, he is a guy who probably just used flat speed to beat everyone in high school, but now he has to worry about reading blocks, knowing when to cut upfield, and taking a hit from much bigger defenders.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

EDIT - Maybe that's the difference between Lindsey and Spielman.  JD was given a year to mature, hit the weight room, and play scout team to see how different the college game is.  I think Lindsey could be way more dynamic in a spread-open offense.

I think most of the skilled players on the team would be better suited in a spread offense

• Plus1 1