Erik Chinander

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

And, in today's college football with all the powerful offenses and a rule book tuned in favor of offenses, it's all about scoring a lot and limiting the damage. That's what UCF did all year.

They missed a lot of 1 on 1 tackles today, sometimes multiple on a single play, that could have made this a different game. But, that's what these offenses do to you.

We're watching Ohio St right now get a lot of big plays on Wisconsin, too. 

• Plus1 2

It sounds like Chinander is a done deal.  If that's the case, I want to see some signs that he will adapt his defensive style when he joins the Big Ten.  I don't care how good the offenses are for USF and Memphis...his defenses gave up an average of 49.5 points to these two teams.  If you give up that many points in the BIG, you are likely going to lose.

• Plus1 1
On 11/28/2017 at 11:17 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

I forgot about the garbage points in the end that didnt mean a thing. Of course the oast 4 games were a blur. So does Nebhawke now think NU is an offensive juggernaut for laying 44 on PSU?  Our next highest output came against Oregon in a game we actually had a chance to win. 

The only reason we had a “chance “ to win is because OU basically quit after 2 qtrs. 

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It sounds like Chinander is a done deal.  If that's the case, I want to see some signs that he will adapt his defensive style when he joins the Big Ten.  I don't care how good the offenses are for USF and Memphis...his defenses gave up an average of 49.5 points to these two teams.  If you give up that many points in the BIG, you are likely going to lose.

I think his style is fine. He had some good play calls today that were just matched by the perfect beaters the other way. I always say, defense is where you really see the recruiting. UCF has talent, certainly, but it's of the incomplete variety. Lots of speed but no size, or size but no quickness. They make up for that with hustle and aggression, but sometimes that ain't enough. That's why these are two and three star guys and not 4 and and 5 star guys. Offense has the ball, you can tweak to your talent level much easier. I expect Frost to consistently put out good offenses as long as he can develop QBs and he's shown he can now. But defense needs force multipliers to match these offenses.

I'm not sold on Chinander either way, but I know putting top quality recruiters on the staff will help a lot. Work ethic won't be a problem for Frost and he'll expect that out of his staff, but recruiting as a staff is an unknown.

• Plus1 1

I have said this in other places but UCF's defense not only played the #2 scoring offense and another top offense the last couple weeks.  They also were likely bone tired from 12 straight weeks of football games.  As the players said they try to leave everything they have on the field each game.   Doing that with no breaks is mind numbing. I say the coaches and players did a great job. 

Some may say this sounds like an excuse and it is.  I think it is a pretty good one but SF, Chinander, the players, and the fans want great defense.  They will be working hard to do that for each other and for us.

45 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

I have said this in other places but UCF's defense not only played the #2 scoring offense and another top offense the last couple weeks.  They also were likely bone tired from 12 straight weeks of football games.  As the players said they try to leave everything they have on the field each game.   Doing that with no breaks is mind numbing. I say the coaches and players did a great job. 

Some may say this sounds like an excuse and it is.  I think it is a pretty good one but SF, Chinander, the players, and the fans want great defense.  They will be working hard to do that for each other and for us.

I think my concern is not just with Chinander but the overall defensive philosophy that Frost was a part of at Oregon and UCF.   The offense is definitely elite, but the defense is mediocre at best.  While scoring tons of points is fun to watch, I would almost rather have the elite defense (like NU had in 2009) and then work toward improving the offense.  That's just me though.  I am certainly willing to give whoever the defensive assistants are a chance to show they can excel in the BIG.

4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think my concern is not just with Chinander but the overall defensive philosophy that Frost was a part of at Oregon and UCF.   The offense is definitely elite, but the defense is mediocre at best.  While scoring tons of points is fun to watch, I would almost rather have the elite defense (like NU had in 2009) and then work toward improving the offense.  That's just me though.  I am certainly willing to give whoever the defensive assistants are a chance to show they can excel in the BIG.

As Moos referenced, an exciting offense puts fans in the seats and a stout defense wins championships.  Why not both!

He fielded a serviceable unit in 2016:

2016 Defensive Stats (National Rankings)

• Red Zone Defense - 70.7% (2nd)
  • Defensive TDs - 5 (3rd)
  • 3rd Down Defense - 29% (6th)
  • Tackles for Loss - 7.9/game (9th)
  • Sacks - 2.92/game (17th)
  • Turnovers - 26 (18th)
  • Interceptions - 15 (22nd)
  • Fumbles Recovered - 11 (24th)
  • Total Defense - 370.3/game (39th)
  • Scoring Defense - 24.6 ppg (42nd)

He's only been a DC for two years as well, so give him the keys and lets go!

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Man their D makes ours look good this year 

No.  No they don't.

Looking at some stats*

Out of these defensive categories:

rushing, passing, scoring, total, sacks, TFL, Op 3rd down cov, fumbles recov, INT

Nebraska only ranks better than 100 in 3 and one of those they are 99th.

UCF is only ranked higher than 100 in 1 category, passing. They are certainly not a dominating defense, but not nearly as putrid as Nebraska was. 

UCF average ranking in these categories was 66th admittedly pedestrian.  Nebraska's average rank 104.

UCF best ranking 5th in INT, worst 111 in passing.  Nebraska's best 61st in passing.  Worst 129 (out of 130) in TFL

*from cfbstats.com

The cfbstats site did not have passing efficiency defense, but per ncaa.com  UCF 55, Nebraska 95

59 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am hoping he will adjust to the Big 10 style, he is not oblivious to what he is coming in to, fingers crossed.