QB Position Switches

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The difference is Ike was a driving force behind creating the interstate system.  And he didn't brag about it.

Al Gore lied about creating the internet.

It seems similar to me, after reading the following. For the record, I'm not very passionate about defending Al Gore, I just feel this quote has been misused and overused. I'm just pasting this from Wikipedia. A lot of it is new information to me.

Gore had been involved with computers since the 1970s, first as a Congressman and later as Senator and Vice President, where he was a "genuine nerd, with a geek reputation running back to his days as a futurist Atari Democrat in the House. Before computers were comprehensible [...] Gore struggled to explain artificial intelligence and fiber-optic networks to sleepy colleagues."[1] According to Campbell-Kelly and Aspray (Computer: A History of the Information Machine), up until the early 1990s public usage of the Internet was limited and the "problem of giving ordinary Americans network access had excited Senator Al Gore since the late 1970s."[2]

Of Gore's involvement in the then-developing Internet while in Congress, Internet pioneers Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn have also noted that,

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high-speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship [...] the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1993. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises.[3]

24 Jun 1986: Albert Gore introduced S 2594 Supercomputer Network Study Act of 1986[4]

As a Senator, Gore began to craft the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 (commonly referred to as "The Gore Bill"[5]) after hearing the 1988 report Toward a National Research Network[6] submitted to Congress by a group chaired by UCLA professor of computer science, Leonard Kleinrock, one of the central creators of the ARPANET (the ARPANET, first deployed by Kleinrock and others in 1969, is the predecessor of the Internet).[7]

Indeed, Kleinrock would later credit both Gore and the Gore Bill as a critical moment in Internet history:

A second development occurred around this time, namely, then-Senator Al Gore, a strong and knowledgeable proponent of the Internet, promoted legislation that resulted in President George H.W Bush signing the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991. This Act allocated $600 million for high performance computing and for the creation of the National Research and Education Network [13–14]. The NREN brought together industry, academia and government in a joint effort to accelerate the development and deployment of gigabit/sec networking.[8]

The bill was passed on Dec. 9, 1991 and led to the National Information Infrastructure (NII)[9] which Gore referred to as the "information superhighway". President George H. W. Bush predicted that the bill would help "unlock the secrets of DNA," open up foreign markets to free trade, and a promise of cooperation between government, academia, and industry.[10]

Prior to its passage, Gore discussed the basics of the bill in an article for the September 1991 issue of Scientific American entitled Scientific American presents the September 1991 Single Copy Issue: Communications, Computers, and Networks. His essay, "Infrastructure for the Global Village", commented on the lack of network access described above and argued: "Rather than holding back, the U.S. should lead by building the information infrastructure, essential if all Americans are to gain access to this transforming technology"[11] [...] "high speed networks must be built that tie together millions of computers, providing capabilities that we cannot even imagine."[12]

Hooray Nebraska quarterbacks. GO BIG RED!

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It seems similar to me, after reading the following. For the record, I'm not very passionate about defending Al Gore, I just feel this quote has been misused and overused. I'm just pasting this from Wikipedia. A lot of it is new information to me.

Tangent_animation.gif

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Not to derail this further and not a dig at anyone but I gotta get this in.....I used to go to Snopes for clarity on various claims until I came across enough evidence to satisfy me that the site can't be trusted.

Linky

Just do a search of Snopes and unbiased and you'll see what I mean.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Not to derail this further and not a dig at anyone but I gotta get this in.....I used to go to Snopes for clarity on various claims until I came across enough evidence to satisfy me that the site can't be trusted.

Linky

Just do a search of Snopes and unbiased and you'll see what I mean.

My post wasn't from Snopes. I think you meant to quote someone else.

And your link is to Daily Caller. That's hilarious.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

On 2/20/2018 at 12:31 AM, Moiraine said:

No. But if the S&C was bad for linemen I can't imagine it was good for QBs.

With the risk of bringing in another tangent to this thread, I don't think the problem was the actual S&C staff, but rather with the enforcement by coaches and buy in for some players. Gebbia by all reports was putting in quite a bit of work, so I would be confident to assume he kept up on his lifts. 

Boy, this seems like a fun game. Let's see just how far from the original topic this thread can get. I'll add my attempt, NFL players have a right to protest the national anthem. Wait, that's still about football. How about lunatics shouldn't be able to buy guns. Wait. That's still tied to school shootings, has to do with schools, education is too close to football. Um... Aliens exist? 

Now will some mod please clean this thread up and get it back to the topic at hand?

Edited by Born N Bled Red
28 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

With the risk of bringing in another tangent to this thread, I don't think the problem was the actual S&C staff, but rather with the enforcement by coaches and buy in for some players. Gebbia by all reports was putting in quite a bit of work, so I would be confident to assume he kept up on his lifts. 

Yes I agree.

And also, individual players can do well if they will themselves.

• Plus1 1
On 2/21/2018 at 3:37 PM, Toe said:

Internet forum posters, rewriting quotes and passing it off as fact that Al Gore claimed to have invented the Internet since 1999. ;)

https://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Humor doesn't go over well on Husker internet forum.  Check.  One thing I've learned from the blow up from my remark and everyone planting their flag is that THIS WORLD IS DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In response to Gebbia's weight- He looked bigger 3 weeks ago than he did at fan day.  Him and a few other huskers were at my son's high school for an FCA basketball scrimmage.  He is looking more the part... time will tell.  I'm with a lot of others- I have no idea but feel good that SF will start the guy giving us the best chance to win.  

On 2/11/2018 at 2:24 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Why is it that other programs can have three QBs on the roster without one transferring but people think we can’t?

I think the issue here is just that it's RSo, RFr, TFr, plus the program/offensive philosophy change. Something is going to give here. Frost is therefore going to continue to bring in more QBs, and soon.