Stormy Daniels vs. The Donald

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't watch the 60 Minutes interview. Was there anything substantive about the campaign that were revealed?

That Cohen's payment could be considered an "in kind donation" well beyond what he is allowed to give legally as an individual.  The precedent would be the John Edward's campaign a few year ago when someone paid off his mistress to keep quiet; he was found not guilty.  The person they interviewed said the charges may be "mitigated" if Trump personally reimbursed him for the payment, but that would require Trump to admit he knew about the deal and wanted to keep her quiet.

I don't plan on getting too excited about any of this.  

Edited by funhusker
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The fact Trump also enjoys Shark Week is the most human thing about him.

Yes, even Trump gets nervous and doesn't know how to act around women :)  I know if Stormy sat down next to me and wanted to talk seriously my first reaction would also be to mutter, "hey did you know that whale sharks are filter feeders and rely on plankton for most of their diet!"  

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yes, even Trump gets nervous and doesn't know how to act around women :)  I know if Stormy sat down next to me and wanted to talk seriously my first reaction would also be to mutter, "hey did you know that whale sharks are filter feeders and rely on plankton for most of their diet!"  

(Insert** Trump's head photoshopped on the Jim McElwain look-a-like's naked guy on a shark meme)

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, commando said:

correct

Very good point.  Trump isn't the first politician to ride that horse (no pun intended:o:facepalm:)

What could get him is if the use of campaign funds for hush money is a violation of campaign finance laws.  Does anyone have insight on that?  It may be another piece of rope he gives Mueller to hang himself with.  (I guess his genius isn't that far removed from the Apple Dumpling Gang - you would have to know the line in the movie to get it - Don Knotts and Tim Conway at their best).

I despise Donald Trump, but the people who think he's doing something out of the ordinary for "politicians" are pretty naive.

The Clinton's probably have just as many skeletons in the closet and have paid off / eliminated just as many opponents or squealers.

The difference is they've had decades to set up their networks of trustworthy and intelligent people to help them hide everything.

Trump has a giant mess of a network that he threw together and is constantly revolving.

Not to mention he has a gigantic ego and can't keep his mouth shut.

I would bet well over 75% of career politicians have employed people to bury skeletons from their past or made payments to keep things quiet.

It made me sad for the future of America when voters thought Hillary and Donald were our best options for president.

57 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I despise Donald Trump, but the people who think he's doing something out of the ordinary for "politicians" are pretty naive.

If you're talking about just this instance - paying for a woman he had an affair with to keep silence, I can agree there.

If you're talking about Trump in general, he's not old hat as far as politicians go.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't watch the 60 Minutes interview. Was there anything substantive about the campaign that was revealed?

besides the potential payment illegalities this stands out to me

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/26/stormy-daniels-i-was-told-to-leave-trump-alone-in-parking-lot-threat

Daniels was on her way to a fitness class with her infant daughter when she said she was accosted.

“A guy walked up on me and said to me, ‘Leave Trump alone. Forget the story.’”

It was at that point that the alleged threat of physical violence was made, according to her account.

Daniels told CBS that the man, who she could not identify, “leaned around and looked at my daughter and said, ‘That’s a beautiful little girl. It’d be a shame if something happened to her mom.’ And then he was gone.”

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If you're talking about just this instance - paying for a woman he had an affair with to keep silence, I can agree there.

If you're talking about Trump in general, he's not old hat as far as politicians go.

I realize that as far as his political experience, but the nature of his business and the reason he's a celebrity means he's rubbed elbows with enough politicians and had enough similar experiences that he can be considered a career politician in that sense.

In the sense of him knowing what he's doing as President... I don't think my dog would do much worse.

10 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I realize that as far as his political experience, but the nature of his business and the reason he's a celebrity means he's rubbed elbows with enough politicians and had enough similar experiences that he can be considered a career politician in that sense.

In the sense of him knowing what he's doing as President... I don't think my dog would do much worse.

Basically what I meant was he's way worse than anything we've ever seen before including Nixon. Some people use the "but all politicians lie" argument when people talk about Trump, as if he's just another normal politician, doing what they all do.

Edited by Moiraine
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Basically what I meant was he's way worse than anything we've ever seen before including Nixon. Some people use the "but all politicians lie" argument when people talk about Trump, as if he's just another normal politician, doing what they all do.

I agree.  He's terrible and not fit for the office.

With him you have lies and a lot of scandals and corruption out in the open.

With Hillary we would have had lies and a lot of scandals and corruption that were concealed.  Plenty of her corrupt acts have been rumored with no one willing or able to bring them completely out in the open.

I hate that Trump is the president, I hate even more that on election day the only other option was Hillary.

I want a president with a moral compass, but I might have just as much luck finding a unicorn.

• Plus1 1