Mavric

Spring Game Attendance Tracker

“We’ll stick together (and fill the stadium) through all kinds of weather”

• Plus1 2

I'm confident that our spring game will be one of the biggest turnouts in the country. Time to get the "Sea of Red" back to full strength.

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

And now the forecast (weather.com) merely says cloudy with a 20% chance of rain *crosses fingers*

That said the tweet is silly. Any meteorologist who doesn't use some kind of model to predict the weather is bad at their job.

15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

And now the forecast (weather.com) merely says cloudy with a 20% chance of rain *crosses fingers*

That said the tweet is silly. Any meteorologist who doesn't use some kind of model to predict the weather is bad at their job.

I read the tweet as saying to look beyond just what the weather model predicts. The best storm prediction folks I know start from the models but understand the inherent weaknesses and assumptions built into those systems.

I am always a little shocked at some of the low numbers...I mean in the end it is a great excuse to get out, meet with friends, catch up and party.  Why would you not want to go?

The one that was cancelled sucked!  We were in the skybox, me and my friends have enough booze smuggled in our jeans to open up a Mum's II.  Then they come in and tell use we have to leave in an hour.

2 minutes ago, famoustitles said:

Shouldn’t there be a zero on the graph the year it got cancelled?  

They probably didn't include that year

Here's my Spring Game attendance tracker.

image.thumb.png.45fff9e5e22717eaf4665eb857c88099.png

Not sure why that came out so squished.  Here's maybe a better version:

V1BkOxM.png

Edited by knapplc
  • Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Most attended spring game ever coming Saturday? 

At Nebraska, maybe. Assuming the weather cooperates.

Ohio State and Alabama have had sellouts, which we literally can't compete with because of the size of our stadium compared to theirs.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Ohio State and Alabama have had sellouts, which we literally can't compete with because of the size of our stadium compared to theirs.

This year? Ohio State didn’t sell out

13 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

This year? Ohio State didn’t sell out

Someone asked if this would be the most attended spring game ever.

2 things

1) The AD gives the attendance by tickets sold, they should already know the number. 

2) Anytime you see a school that reports their attendance and it ends in 3 zeros, I would subtract about 10% from that number

Asked my 5 year old if it snows or rains if he still wanted to go and to my surprise he said “Yup!”

So not matter what happens, my 5 year old and I will be there

Just now, Dewiz said:

Asked my 5 year old if it snows or rains if he still wanted to go and to my surprise he said “Yup!”

So not matter what happens, my 5 year old and I will be there

Raising him right!

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

1) The AD gives the attendance by tickets sold, they should already know the number. 

I don't think that's true. If it was, the attendance numbers from every home game would be remarkably close/similar, because every game has the same amount of tickets sold and every game has roughly the same amount of opposing players/coaches, security workers, concession workers, etc.

Yet our attendance numbers vary from 89,000 through 91,000 

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't think that's true. If it was, the attendance numbers from every home game would be remarkably close/similar, because every game has the same amount of tickets sold and every game has roughly the same amount of opposing players/coaches, security workers, concession workers, etc.

As @knapplc pointed out in another thread...tickets sold and actual attendance are not the same thing.

47 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As @knapplc pointed out in another thread...tickets sold and actual attendance are not the same thing.

I know that. That's what I'm responding to.

3 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Raising him right!

He goes to school with a bunch of kids who like the Hawkeyes. He came home one day and told me “I’m going to root for the Hawkeyes when they don’t play Go Big Red cause my friends like the Hawkeyes.” 

I just stared at him for the longest time and then said “Son as Husker fans, we do NOT root for the Hawkeyes, ever!”

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

He goes to school with a bunch of kids who like the Hawkeyes.

We need to report this school.  That's not right.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

We need to report this school.  That's not right.

We need to stop blaming schools for poor parenting.

• Plus1 4

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

It varies because I believe they count sold tickets plus everyone else in the stadium (media, players, team staff, etc).

Do you think there were 90k people there for the Northwestern or Iowa games last year?

Edited by Red Five

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It varies because I believe they count sold tickets plus everyone else in the stadium (media, players, team staff, etc).

Do you think there were 90k people there for the Northwestern or Iowa games last year?

I believe the opposing team ticket sales is the biggest variable

27 minutes ago, jaws said:

It was a Nebraska style sell out

Intended slur misses mark.

If the Spring Game is used as a recruiting tool, I wonder what our recruiting rankings would be if fans didn't show up in droves like they have year after year.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

What I'm saying is that the sold ticket number is the same for every game (if we sell them all out, right?), and the number of non-ticketed people there (media, players, team staff, etc.) does not vary by 1,000+ from game to game. 

I don't venture to say if the Northwestern game did or didn't have 90k people, but per this picture and this video I don't have any reason to doubt that the attendance reported was an accurate count of people present:

northwestern-v-nebraska-09a768c2579a81da

23 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What I'm saying is that the sold ticket number is the same for every game (if we sell them all out, right?), and the number of non-ticketed people there (media, players, team staff, etc.) does not vary by 1,000+ from game to game. 

I don't venture to say if the Northwestern game did or didn't have 90k people, but per this picture and this video I don't have any reason to doubt that the attendance reported was an accurate count of people present:

northwestern-v-nebraska-09a768c2579a81da

Well, per the OWH article by Sam in Feb. there were around 9,000 less scanned tickets for the NW game in comparison to the Wisconsin game, however both of the reported attendances were around 89,000.  So, I don't think the amount of non-ticketed attendance varies by 9,000.

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

If the Spring Game is used as a recruiting tool, I wonder what our recruiting rankings would be if fans didn't show up in droves like they have year after year.

I'd be surprised if it means anything as far as recruiting. This is it's true value:

I can't believe Mike Riley holds two of the top 5 most attended spring games as coach....

14 minutes ago, Redux said:

I can't believe Mike Riley holds two of the top 5 most attended spring games as coach....

It doesn't really surprise me.  They tried to use it as a recruiting tool and it has become a "thing" to brag about attendance over the last several years among other schools.

Husker fans don't like to be beat in fandom contests.

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It doesn't really surprise me.  They tried to use it as a recruiting tool and it has become a "thing" to brag about attendance over the last several years among other schools.

Husker fans don't like to be beat in fandom contests.

That's because we're competitors and don't like losing to anyone for anything.

24 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That's because we're competitors and don't like losing to anyone for anything.

I figured that was implied by my comment

3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

It was also implied by the tone that it is dumb.  Maybe it is.  :dunno

Nebraska fans are very competitive and very dumb when it comes to "contests" like this.  That makes us who we are

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

Intended slur misses mark.

Ok, it was a sellout in the sense they sold all the available tickets but not everyone showed up to the game. Thanks for the feedback and I will try to hit the mark the next time. ;)

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, jaws said:

Ok, it was a sellout in the sense they sold all the available tickets but not everyone showed up to the game. Thanks for the feedback and I will try to hit the mark the next time. ;)

So ~60k people bought tickets and didnt show??

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, jaws said:

I will try to hit the mark the next time. ;)

OK Bauserman.

rddRtps.jpg

• Plus1 5