** 2023 Opponent Preview : Iowa (Game 12) **

1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

So, what dictates "greatest fans"? Once again, easy to be great when winning, not so much when the losses pile up! It was easy to be great when the Huskers pummeled literally everybody that came to Lincoln. Frankly, great fans are the ones that support the team and stay to the end, even when they are losing, as that is when a team needs the support the most.       

I guess that is one way define it, staying to the end of a loss, if you’re trying to convince yourself that Iowa has great fans on par with Nebraska. My problem is I couldn’t even begin watching Iowa play week in and week out. Sure you’ve won more lately than Nebraska but gdamn that is some ugly boring ball going on in Iowa City. Maybe you are great fans because you seem to like it.

13 hours ago, CyHawk said:

You are spot on! Every board is about he same, and yes, I do visit the boards of some of our rivals, as it is part of being a rivalry.

I grew up during a time that Nebraska was good, and on this side of the river it was rubbed in our faces. It is easy to believe in the whole "greatest fans" thing, but it is easy when you are good. When a team is bad, all fans, no matter the team, turn into the same vindictive folks as anywhere else, slamming the coaching staff, the AD, other fans, the press, and even the players (look back at this Boards threads). When a team goes from being good, and the swagger that goes along with it, to being bad, those people/states that were looked down upon at one time have a chance to pay back a little. The difference no is the internet.  

If your coach sucks and you’re ok with it, does that make you a great fan?

If it does, then Iowa has better fans.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess that is one way define it, staying to the end of a loss, if you’re trying to convince yourself that Iowa has great fans on par with Nebraska. My problem is I couldn’t even begin watching Iowa play week in and week out. Sure you’ve won more lately than Nebraska but gdamn that is some ugly boring ball going on in Iowa City. Maybe you are great fans because you seem to like it.

I had never stated that Iowa has great fans, or at least greater than any other school. Every school has some great fans, it is just a bit interesting to refer to yourselves as "the greatest".

I certainly agree that football in Iowa City can be boring, but that does not mean that Iowa fans are greater, or less great, than any other school.

Referring to ones self as the "greatest" at anything is just asking for others to try to knock you down. My point was that it was easy back when the Huskers were a good football team. With a solid losing record, I am not so sure. 

2 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

I had never stated that Iowa has great fans, or at least greater than any other school. Every school has some great fans, it is just a bit interesting to refer to yourselves as "the greatest".

I certainly agree that football in Iowa City can be boring, but that does not mean that Iowa fans are greater, or less great, than any other school.

Referring to ones self as the "greatest" at anything is just asking for others to try to knock you down. My point was that it was easy back when the Huskers were a good football team. With a solid losing record, I am not so sure. 

Maybe it’s just something that can be said when you have the sellout streak we have which will never begin to be touched by another team. And maybe especially when you consider what the last 20 years of football in Lincoln has looked like.

I know exactly zero Nebraska fans that actually think they are the greatest fans or even better than anybody else. But most of us are at least a little bit proud of the sellout streak even if there have been a few games recently that have required some donors to bail it out. It is an accomplishment :dunno…that many of us would trade in for some better on field results.

9 hours ago, CyHawk said:

So, what dictates "greatest fans"? 

Quoting you only because yours is the last post in this discussion.

Read what the sign actually says. It is including fans of both teams. It isn't stating only Nebraska fans are the greatest. So what dictates "greatest fans" are any that attend a game in Memorial stadium.

2 hours ago, desertshox said:

Quoting you only because yours is the last post in this discussion.

Read what the sign actually says. It is including fans of both teams. It isn't stating only Nebraska fans are the greatest. So what dictates "greatest fans" are any that attend a game in Memorial stadium.

Whew, that explains it. So the Huskers are not the "Greatest Fans" after all. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Not sure why just going to a stadium make you the "greatest", but lets go with that. So Hawkeye fans visiting Memorial Stadium are the greatest also?

11 hours ago, CyHawk said:

...it is just a bit interesting to refer to yourselves as "the greatest".

Time to shut this bulls*** down. A former athletic director that everybody here hates put those damn signs up in Memorial Stadium that say "Through These Gates Pass the Greatest Fans in College Football."

But none of us think we're actually the greatest. I'd like it if those signs were taken down today.

15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Time to shut this bulls*** down. A former athletic director that everybody here hates put those damn signs up in Memorial Stadium that say "Through These Gates Pass the Greatest Fans in College Football."

But none of us think we're actually the greatest. I'd like it if those signs were taken down today.

I like them because it triggers Cyhawk so much.  He's obviously obsessed with them.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
8 hours ago, Undone said:

Finally some good sense!

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I like them because it triggers Cyhawk so much.  He's obviously obsessed with them.

I am just tired about all of the Brian Ferentz threads on our boards! Our fans can be just as chitty.

1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

Finally some good sense!

I am just tired about all of the Brian Ferentz threads on our boards! Our fans can be just as chitty.

Ya better fire him then. No way outta that mess of threads until he's gone.  Honestly one of the more interesting things for me to track this season is Iowa's "race" to 325. There ain't no way you get there but it's fun to crunch the numbers.

Current status for anyone else who cares:

Remaining: 284 

Utah State - 24

Iowa State - 17 

Average to date - 20.5

Remaining average needed - 25.8

Total defensive and ST points scored to date - 7

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Ya better fire him then. No way outta that mess of threads until he's gone.  Honestly one of the more interesting things for me to track this season is Iowa's "race" to 325. There ain't no way you get there but it's fun to crunch the numbers.

Current status for anyone else who cares:

Remaining: 284 

Utah State - 24

Iowa State - 17 

Average to date - 20.5

Remaining average needed - 25.8

Total defensive and ST points scored to date - 7

You are spot on in your opinion, except that I believe that the average has to do with total points by the offense, defense, and special teams. 

That said, a 25 point average may be attainable. Say that the team averages 24 points per game for 10 games, yet has 3 "breakout" games where they score 35 points (yes a guy can dream). Of course this is assuming a bowl game in there so there is 13 games. Anyway, that would be 335 points and divided by 13, that would be a 25.76 average. Recent history will tell us that there is no way in hell they will score this many points, BUT, it could be possible.

Either way, I'd like to see him replaced...............................

2 hours ago, CyHawk said:

You are spot on in your opinion, except that I believe that the average has to do with total points by the offense, defense, and special teams. 

That said, a 25 point average may be attainable. Say that the team averages 24 points per game for 10 games, yet has 3 "breakout" games where they score 35 points (yes a guy can dream). Of course this is assuming a bowl game in there so there is 13 games. Anyway, that would be 335 points and divided by 13, that would be a 25.76 average. Recent history will tell us that there is no way in hell they will score this many points, BUT, it could be possible.

I get the D and ST points are included, I am tracking those also. What I am seeing though is for every 35 point game you have a 13 pointer versus Minnesota and a 10 pointer against Penn State. That's going to be too much to overcome overall. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, CyHawk said:

In that way, it's honestly a great fan engagement tool. Either the offense is better and you have fans paying attention to evidence of that, or they get to track progress until the least popular coach on the staff finally coaches himself out of a job.

But I'm not super clear on the repercussions - does he need both the points per game and the wins? And IIRC, failing will just not automatically renew his contract past 2024. So he's still the OC next year regardless, or did I miss something?

20 hours ago, runningblind said:

I get the D and ST points are included, I am tracking those also. What I am seeing though is for every 35 point game you have a 13 pointer versus Minnesota and a 10 pointer against Penn State. That's going to be too much to overcome overall. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

You are right.

• Thanks 1