Titanic Titan submarine

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Based on an interview I heard earlier today, I'm 97% certain these people died a few hours after their voyage embarked. The sub apparently has two communication tools available to it that would only stop working under two conditions: 1) total loss of power or 2) a hull breach/implosion. They both stopped working a little less than two hours into the trip.

The more I've learned about this sub, the dumber it sounds. Incredibly cramped/uncomfortable confines, piloted by PS3 controller, 18 deadbolts that trap the people inside from the outside, one view port that they apparently wouldn't be able to see the wreck out of anyways, materials that experts say were not up to the standard of other submersibles that travel to those depths...

Like, come on.

Sooooo many things that I have no interest in doing...this is one of them.

They're for sure dead by now. Even if they didn't implode (which is most likely) they're out of oxygen. 

Horrible way to die, but it's self-inflicted. It's hard to feel sorry for these folks, just like it's hard to feel sorry for mountain climbers who fall. 

Regarding the rescue effort, the US agreed to participate in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, which stipulates that participating nations must render available aid to persons distressed at sea. While I know I posted that article comparing the rescue efforts in this situation to the sunken boat in Greece, they're actually a bit different situations. This is occurring near our coastal waters, we have ample resources available for the rescue effort, and thus are compelled to render what aid we can. We just happen to be able to render a LOT of aid.

We do this, despite the cost, because we want other nations to do this for our people if a similar situation occurs in their region of the world. It's a quid in search of a pro quo. 

EDIT - This won't surprise anyone.

Coast Guard to hold press briefing to discuss ROV findings

WHO: Rear Adm. John Mauger, the First Coast Guard District commander, Capt. Jamie Frederick, the First Coast Guard District response coordinator

WHAT: The Coast Guard is scheduled to hold a press briefing to discuss findings from the Horizon Arctic’s remotely operated vehicle near the Titanic

WHEN: Thursday at 3:00 p.m. 

WHERE: Coast Guard Base Boston at 427 Commercial St., Boston, MA 02109  

Editor’s note: Media should be prepared to show media credentials and a government issued photo ID to gain access to the base. Base access will be allowed starting at 2:30 p.m.  

BOSTON — The Coast Guard is scheduled to host a press briefing Thursday to discuss findings from the Horizon Arctic’s ROV on the sea floor near the Titanic.

• Plus1 1

This tweet from the guy who owns the company just makes me want to puke all over him.  The guy can go f#&% himself if he thinks he's going to blame this somehow on people within our government/military that make WAY less than him and spend time away from their families and risk their lives to fix his screw up.

FzLrsZ1aAAASMbx?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sounds like a guy who thinks things should go the way he wants them to “just because.”

And it’s all for naught anyways now - the ROV found the submersible’s debris field 1600 feet from the bow of the Titanic and they effectively confirmed the implosion happened during the descent. Those unlucky souls have been gone since Sunday. Must’ve been terrifying but I hope it was over quick.