Titanic Titan submarine

I’m having trouble thinking of many worse ways to die than this. Unless the vessel got flooded. Drowning would be horrible, but the submarine getting stuck on something or losing power and drifting til it hits the ocean floor so everyone is still alive cramped together in a small space and then slowly loses air for the next 96 hours… sounds like the absolute worst.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, commando said:

if it imploded at that depth they would be dead before they knew there was a problem.  saw reports that the port was only rated for about 1/3 the depth they were taking that coffin.

Hopefully that's how they died. I've read they don't even know how they could lift the craft if they find them.

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Hopefully that's how they died. I've read they don't even know how they could lift the craft if they find them.

We have deep-sea recovery capability, but that sort of thing isn't easy to get on site and set up. 

The worst part may be finding them, but not being able to get them to the surface before they run out of O2. 

This story is just wild at every turn:

FzEmyedaEAEdjhN?format=jpg&name=large

FzEmyeeagAA278V?format=jpg&name=large

It keeps going. Best I can understand it

- Billionaire dad goes in a submersible controlled by a $20 gamecube controller to the bottom of the ocean

- Billionaire dad's autistic son goes viral for attending a Blink-182 concert while his dad is lost under the sea

- Online gaming communities reveal that the billionaire son is actually a stalker who has spent time in prison

- In his time in prison, his diabetes and retinopathy are ignored, his cellmate attacks him breaking his thumb and multiple bones in his face, these injuries are also ignored, he develops sepsis and is now nearly blind and can't use his right hand. 

8 hours ago, commando said:

if it imploded at that depth they would be dead before they knew there was a problem.  saw reports that the port was only rated for about 1/3 the depth they were taking that coffin.

That article was misleading from what I saw on Reddit. The original testing only certified the viewing port to that shallower depth, but they upgraded the port and were certified to 4000 meters I think. Titanic is a little less than that (plus there's probably a safety factor built into that certification). Anyway, they've already done multiple dives to Titanic with the vessel so the port is probably fine. The real concern is fatigue of the hull, which another article state they discovered after earlier doves and repaired. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't have a maintenance plan in place, and it was over a theoretical service life on this dive.

The dumbest f#&%ing part of all of this is that they don't have a of contingency plan if they lose contact, which has happened multiple times for up to 5 hours. That vessel needs some kind of a sonar pinger at depth or gps when it's ascended to just below the surface.

Based on an interview I heard earlier today, I'm 97% certain these people died a few hours after their voyage embarked. The sub apparently has two communication tools available to it that would only stop working under two conditions: 1) total loss of power or 2) a hull breach/implosion. They both stopped working a little less than two hours into the trip.

The more I've learned about this sub, the dumber it sounds. Incredibly cramped/uncomfortable confines, piloted by PS3 controller, 18 deadbolts that trap the people inside from the outside, one view port that they apparently wouldn't be able to see the wreck out of anyways, materials that experts say were not up to the standard of other submersibles that travel to those depths...

Like, come on.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

And death shall have no dominion.
Dead men naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;

Under the windings of the sea
They lying long shall not die windily;
Twisting on racks when sinews give way,
Strapped to a wheel, yet they shall not break;
Faith in their hands shall snap in two,
And the unicorn evils run them through;
Split all ends up they shan't crack;

No more may gulls cry at their ears
Or waves break loud on the seashores;
Where blew a flower may a flower no more
Lift its head to the blows of the rain;
Though they be mad and dead as nails,
Heads of the characters hammer through daisies;
Break in the sun till the sun breaks down,

- Dylan Thomas

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Am I the only one that really doesn't feel sorry for them?

Meanwhile.

5 extremely wealthy people do something really stupid that now our military has to get involved to try to save them.......and we are footing the bill.

Not the only one by a long shot. Multiple governments probably spending millions of dollars. Imagine how many people who don't go to hospitals because they can't afford healthcare could be helped instead. They signed a document that mentioned death multiple times and that there was no regulatory body approving the vessel for safety. Maybe there should be a limit to how far the coast guard will go out to help people if they are agreeing to risk their lives.

• Plus1 1