Titanic Titan submarine

Seems like most of the legitimate deep sea submersibles look more like Cameron's than they do Ocean Gate's.

Not that it necessarily means anything, though. The prevailing theory at the moment is Ocean Gate's carbon fiber hull weakened over its many uses. Bunch of fancy switches and cramped spaces probably wouldn't have changed that.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Seems like most of the legitimate deep sea submersibles look more like Cameron's than they do Ocean Gate's.

Not that it necessarily means anything, though. The prevailing theory at the moment is Ocean Gate's carbon fiber hull weakened over its many uses. Bunch of fancy switches and cramped spaces probably wouldn't have changed that.

Admittedly I'm not well versed in deep sea submersibles. All I'm saying is that in 2012 when Cameron went to the Challenger Deep the ipad had only been out 2 years, we still had windows phones and blackberries, and google play and drive were just released.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

All I'm saying is that in 2012 when Cameron went to the Challenger Deep the ipad had only been out 2 years, we still had windows phones and blackberries, and google play and drive were just released.

There was probably more advanced tech in the Challenger Deep's controls than the $40 Amazon controller Stockton Rush was using. ;)

I hear the point you're making, but the technology and principals required to dive thousands of meters and come back alive have been around for decades. Probably stands to reason that that's why most modern submersibles look more like a spaceship than they do a fleshlight.

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

There was probably more advanced tech in the Challenger Deep's controls than the $40 Amazon controller Stockton Rush was using. ;)

I hear the point you're making, but the technology and principals required to dive thousands of meters and come back alive have been around for decades. Probably stands to reason that that's why most modern submersibles look more like a spaceship than they do a fleshlight.

I think this discussion belongs in the shed now... :lol:

Cameron's sub was also a science vessel. There are robotic arms, payload bays, instrumentation, camera booms, and flood lights galore. Titan was just a joyride for tourists, despite what they called the paying clients.

The game controllers are funny at face value but the US military uses the same tech these days because it's simple, and all their personnel grow up using them now. Titan's controllers were actually modified by the University of Washington as well.

All that said... Rush clearly wasn't as into the minutiae as Cameron and it cost him and other's their lives. Kind of reminds me of the line from Jurassic Park: You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you’re selling it, you wanna sell it. Well…your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should

• TBH 2

16 hours ago, ZRod said:

I think this discussion belongs in the shed now... :lol:

Cameron's sub was also a science vessel. There are robotic arms, payload bays, instrumentation, camera booms, and flood lights galore. Titan was just a joyride for tourists, despite what they called the paying clients.

The game controllers are funny at face value but the US military uses the same tech these days because it's simple, and all their personnel grow up using them now. Titan's controllers were actually modified by the University of Washington as well.

All that said... Rush clearly wasn't as into the minutiae as Cameron and it cost him and other's their lives. Kind of reminds me of the line from Jurassic Park: You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you’re selling it, you wanna sell it. Well…your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should

At first I was skeptical about taking Cameron's word for things because I honestly didn't know much about Cameron at all outside of filmmaking. But he definitely sounds like he knows what he's talking about and some of the stuff he is saying Ocean Gate did not do sounds like really obvious things anyone should have done. It has seriously strong parallels with the Titanic. 

It's not just the material. To me it sounds like it could be perfectly fine to use it (and they did so successfully several times), but it doesn't seem like they tested to see how many times they could take it down and things would continue to be safe.

• TBH 2