Titanic Titan submarine

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....you're saying there is no reason to look for the bodies.

Deal.  Everyone head home.

Yeah, there's nothing left of their bodies. The Byford Dolphin diving bell accident was a decompression (so the opposite of this) accident at 100 meters under the surface, and it instantly mangled those poor souls with only 9 atmospheres of pressure (one guy was sucked through a gap 24 inches tall. Now image crushing someone instantly with 41 times more pressure. They're flash fried fish paste...

I don't see any issue with the money involved for the search and rescue. I think most of our government vessels were probably already on the water so they would have been blowing money on exercises anyway. This is way they at least get some real world experience on SARs.

• Plus1 1

Now the questions/debates are going to circle around "who should pay for it."

Should taxpayers be held culpable for the tens of millions of dollars this search likely cost to try and rescue five private citizens who went deep sea exploring in an uncertified submersible? There were also privately owned resources used in the search and they're almost assuredly going to send their bills to various government agencies.

• Plus1 1

Here's an analysis of what happened to a sub lost at 1275 feet.

And that's just 1,275 feet (389m). The OceanGate Titan was at about 3500 meters, or 11,500 feet.

And the other thing to understand is the sheer amount of heat produced by that kind of compression. At that depth, you're looking at around 5,000 psi. You know how a diesel engine ignites its fuel just from compression, right? A semi's engine compresses to 'only' maybe 350 PSI. They were exposed to about fifteen times that pressure.

From my understanding, it's not totally certain whether the heat or the pressure would have killed them first, though obviously they're pretty goddamn dead either way.

18 minutes ago, Toe said:

Here's an analysis of what happened to a sub lost at 1275 feet.

And that's just 1,275 feet (389m). The OceanGate Titan was at about 3500 meters, or 11,500 feet.

And the other thing to understand is the sheer amount of heat produced by that kind of compression. At that depth, you're looking at around 5,000 psi. You know how a diesel engine ignites its fuel just from compression, right? A semi's engine compresses to 'only' maybe 350 PSI. They were exposed to about fifteen times that pressure.

From my understanding, it's not totally certain whether the heat or the pressure would have killed them first, though obviously they're pretty goddamn dead either way.

Suboptimal.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:05 AM, BigRedBuster said:

ummmm......

It's not a rule... It's just not a practical application. It works, as evidence by the many trips it took to Titanic before, and to other depths. The problem is to safely use carbon fiber in this application they would need to be doing a lot of maintenance and extensive checks for fatigue before launching. I bet we'll find out they didn't keep up on that if they even had a procedure for it at all.

23 hours ago, ZRod said:

The problem is to safely use carbon fiber in this application they would need to be doing a lot of maintenance and extensive checks for fatigue before launching. I bet we'll find out they didn't keep up on that if they even had a procedure for it at all.

Based on everything I've read so far, it sounds like this is the most plausible explanation i.e. carbon fiber fatigue. The developer allegedly had some sort of 'acoustic' monitoring system they claimed would measure the sub's hull and give them pre-emptive warnings of fatigue or structural integrities. It's very possible they ran into this during the last dive, causing their ascent.