Success vs Failure

What do we see as a success this season? Is making a bowl game successful? Is winning more than 4 games a success? Is keeping most of our recruits/players around a success? I’d love to see what some of the expectations are for the Huskers. I have my opinions but I’d like to hear what others think!

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Mine is simply looking better by the end of the year than the beginning. Very subjective but I think this program is really down right now and will take several seasons to get back to decent to good. Even if we only finish with a couple wins, I'm hopeful for the future.

I really like that. Didn’t really think about it like that! 

If we only win 4 games again, there has to be some major things going on outside of the record that are good for it to be a success.  That could be a major pick up in recruiting.  It could be, like @RedDenver says, maybe see some big improvements towards the end of the year so we have momentum going into the off season.  If we only win that many, I'm not writing off Rhule and the staff.  I think we will see way better in game coaching.  I want to see a well organized team that, might not be talented enough to win games, but cut back on the stupid idiotic mistakes......many times from the staff.  I want to see a team that competes to the end every game.

I'm looking for at least 6 wins and a bowl game.  I really think that's doable.  

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

If we only win 4 games again, there has to be some major things going on outside of the record that are good for it to be a success.  That could be a major pick up in recruiting.  It could be, like @RedDenver says, maybe see some big improvements towards the end of the year so we have momentum going into the off season.  If we only win that many, I'm not writing off Rhule and the staff.  I think we will see way better in game coaching.  I want to see a well organized team that, might not be talented enough to win games, but cut back on the stupid idiotic mistakes......many times from the staff.  I want to see a team that competes to the end every game.

I'm looking for at least 6 wins and a bowl game.  I really think that's doable.  

I think its doable if Jeff Sims stays healthy all year, if not then it could be a long season.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think its doable if Jeff Sims stays healthy all year, if not then it could be a long season.

That would make the season more difficult.  However, I would be interested then seeing how this staff manages the backup QBs.  Are the better coached than they were before?  Do they do a better job game planning around what they are better at?...etc.

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

A 1000 yard rusher and a thousand yard receiver.  That means they have a good RB, a good Wr, a decent line and QB.  Probably means they win more of those close games which means a winning record.  

Improvement on the O line would go a long ways to making this season feel like a success...even if it doesn't equate to a lot more wins.  It would help build confidence in Raiola as the O line coach....which should help improve recruiting there.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Improvement on the O line would go a long ways to making this season feel like a success...even if it doesn't equate to a lot more wins.  It would help build confidence in Raiola as the O line coach....which should help improve recruiting there.

Agreed. I'd really like to see the OL play improve, but I have my doubts.

12 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Honestly if we don't go at least 6-6, I'll be disappointed.  Idc that we have a new coach.  New coaches come in and have immediate success all the time.  There are definitely six wins on the schedule.

Yes there are 6 wins on the schedule but the big 10 isn't a joke of a league so the statement that it happens all the time is some what true to lesser conferences but it certainly doesn't happen much in the Big 10.  Usually it takes coaches a couple of years to get things back on track.  Here's wishing for HC Matt Rhule to get more then 6 wins :cheers

The success of this season is something that we as fans on the outside will never see until 2-3 years down the line. I'm not inside the program and I'm not an expert on football, and the things that will make this program work and rise and last are tiny, hidden details that are hard to quantify, so I'm just along for the ride.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3