Gilbert Arrested

3 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

I mean, I get how that feeds into his mental health issues, but life is bigger than football. A lot of things haven’t gone the way that I wanted to in life, but I didn’t throw my life away because I didn’t get my way. This kid has a free college opportunity at an amazing university, and all sorts of professional support to prepare himself for  something else. The fact that he’s so singularly focused on football is the mental health issue, not whether he can play or not. 

The NFL is a grown man’s game. Sheer physical talent only gets you so far. The mental is arguably equally as important. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

7 minutes ago, Decked said:

Seems rather extreme. The NCAA is an incompetent & stupid organization but this year for transfers they’ve been at least consistent (consistently bad!). The real issue is previous years anyone got a waiver and it set the precedent. I personally think Erik should not get a waiver. 3rd school in four years is ridiculous mental health or not. He can still transfer to a school with resources such as N but maybe a year off wouldn’t be so bad for him. He has nobody to blame here but Erik. We shouldn’t coddle those with such issues..rather, try and give them the support and resources to deal when life arises. But that’s just me! 

There were precedents set but the entire structure has changed now.  You used to need a waiver to be immediately eligible after your first transfer.  Now - in effect - everyone gets that first waiver.  It's the subsequent ones that need the waiver.

So I'm not sure precedents really matter now.  The new precedent is almost no one is getting the waiver for the second transfer.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree because you and me don't have mental health issues.

Look, this is like telling a girl with body issues to just "eat the pizza and get over it", like we did in the 60's before recognizing that eating disorders were a mental thing.

I suppose I am trying to put myself in his shows and use compassion or empathy.  I also don't "get it" or understand it, but again I don't have those issues.  

I’ve dealt with my own mental health issues and went to therapy for it on many occasions. I am the son of a first generation immigrant family, my dad put us in bankruptcy and lost our home, when I was 10, grew up with a single mother who was never around because she worked all the time, lived on my own since I was 16, I was homeless for a year in my 20s, and I fought through. And I did it with far fewer resources than  this kid has right now. I know not everyone is the same and different people struggle in different ways, but it’s hard for me to conjure up empathy or sympathy here. I wish the kid good luck, just not at Nebraska.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Mavric said:

There were precedents set but the entire structure has changed now.  You used to need a waiver to be immediately eligible after your first transfer.  Now - in effect - everyone gets that first waiver.  It's the subsequent ones that need the waiver.

So I'm not sure precedents really matter now.  The new precedent is almost no one is getting the waiver for the second transfer.

I think being strict with the second waiver is good. But they are in my eyes a little too strict. Some of the kids going back home to dying parents/grandparents and getting denied is disturbing. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

16 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

I’ve dealt with my own mental health issues and went to therapy for it on many occasions. I am the son of a first generation immigrant family, my dad put us in bankruptcy and lost our home, when I was 10, grew up with a single mother who was never around because she worked all the time, lived on my own since I was 16, I was homeless for a year in my 20s, and I fought through. And I did it with far fewer resources than  this kid has right now. I know not everyone is the same and different people struggle in different ways, but it’s hard for me to conjure up empathy or sympathy here. I wish the kid good luck, just not at Nebraska.

That is awesome!  

But just like any illness or disease it is not the same result for everyone.  Sadly!

I also do not care if he stays at NU.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Kayvan said:

Sincerely hoping that Arik receives (and accepts) the help that he needs. Ultimately his welfare is more important than his athletic aspirations. He’s got to get that squared away first and foremost well onto a better path. It’s irrational, reckless behavior on his part. He can’t be allowed to affect his teammates.

The potential distraction alone justifies his not participating. It doesn’t demonstrate having the values of a healthy culture.

Yes, absolutely everyone has their own unique challenges. One can empathize while drawing the line and being firm about not crossing it. He’s young and has so much life left ahead of him. Arik can overcome this. At this juncture, that’s what his focus myst be on. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Sincerely hoping that Arik receives (and accepts) the help that he needs. Ultimately his welfare is more important than his athletic aspirations. He’s got to get that squared away first and foremost well onto a better path. It’s irrational, reckless behavior on his part. He can’t be allowed to affect his teammates.

The potential distraction alone justifies his not participating. It doesn’t demonstrate having the values of a healthy culture.

Yes, absolutely everyone has their own unique challenges. One can empathize while drawing the line and being firm about not crossing it. He’s young and has so much life left ahead of him. Arik can overcome this. At this juncture, that’s what his focus myst be on. 

I agree

I just think that the NCAA needs to also be held accountable 

• Plus1 1