What has changed?

Tvr

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Fired 9 win coaches. W f'd around and found out.

I miss Bo. Sure he flamed out but we had some alpha dogs and badass players too. Every team needs some energy and attitude.  I see no leaders at all. I have hope for the defense just to say F it and see if they can make a name for themselves. This offense needs an Ameer, a Rex, K Bell, someone to give it nails attitude. Just go heavy set bully ball because at least it will cultivate that attitude. No more tripping on your own shoe laces, getting mauled on the LOS, at least cultivate some toughness and physicality.

• TBH 1

The problem nowadays is that the new generation cannot take any criticism. They whine and cry whenever someone tries to motivate them. All the excellent coaches had to break a few eggs to win championships. I doubt Nick Saban farts rainbows when talking to his players. In my honest opinion, Bo cared about his players and he was passionate about winning. He had a bad attitude sometimes but his players were tough. Unfortunately, coaches have to watch everything they say or do as everyone is waiting for them to say one wrong thing and everyone pounces like vultures. 

sometimes getting in the face of a player who made a mistake that cost his team a game is not that bad. Buying them ice cream is not going to make them better players. The Minnesota game was in the bag and our players gifted to the idiotic gophers. Sugar coating it is only going to send a message that mistakes are tolerated.

I am anxious to see what Rhule is going to do after he loses to Colorado next week.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

The problem nowadays is that the new generation cannot take any criticism. They whine and cry whenever someone tries to motivate them. All the excellent coaches had to break a few eggs to win championships. I doubt Nick Saban farts rainbows when talking to his players. In my honest opinion, Bo cared about his players and he was passionate about winning. He had a bad attitude sometimes but his players were tough. Unfortunately, coaches have to watch everything they say or do as everyone is waiting for them to say one wrong thing and everyone pounces like vultures. 

sometimes getting in the face of a player who made a mistake that cost his team a game is not that bad. Buying them ice cream is not going to make them better players. The Minnesota game was in the bag and our players gifted to the idiotic gophers. Sugar coating it is only going to send a message that mistakes are tolerated.

I am anxious to see what Rhule is going to do after he loses to Colorado next week.

Laugh reaction for Saban comment. That's funny.

Rhule shouldn't be handing out ice creams. No doubt about it we gifted Minnesota. Those turn overs and costly mental errors yucked up the whole thing despite positives. I'm sure that coach wasn't pleased with Kemp goofing allowing that ball to roll on the kickoff. There are ways of holding people accountable if there's incongruence with standards without insulting that are effective. If you want candy (playing time) and are told no candy for not adhering to them (said standards), there's no candy. Stick to your guns. Don't relent. Things of this nature.  

Will say this, the younger/new generation learned some of this from parents. Don't get their way and throw fits when told no, etc. all hell breaks loose (GIGO). The other day I pointed out to a driver that the parking areas at pumps are intended for fueling not for going in to grab a couple energy drinks while others wait to fill up. That rubbed him the wrong way as you might imagine as he deemed himself entitled to do as he desired to. Community standards! 

Despite his ways, I do believe that coach Pelini genuinely cared about his players and did what he thought would motivate them to win and achieving their best. It's my understanding that included off the field things in relation to academics. 

Big task ahead! Let's go for the WIN. 

As a teacher/coach who graduated high school 25 years ago, I can tell you today’s kids are just as whiny and lazy as we were in the 90’s.

In fact, I’d say the young kids (elementary and middle school) play more now than then.  It looks different because it’s not at the park.  Most kids involved in athletics spend at least 5-6 hours or more at practices each week.  I know middle schoolers with personal trainers.  It’s kinda crazy how much work they put in!

I just hope they still enjoy the sport by the time they reach high school.

• Fire 2

We still have mostly Frost recruits yet playing.  We still have core group of players who don't know what winning is.  We brought in a QB who came from a losing situation.  Hell our coaches were canned at Carolina last season.  I think everyone is trying to correct the process, but until they see some wins and see that this process is working, its uphill.

We have fired too many coaches, blamed too many players for losing.  Watched KU, KSU, and other teams this weekend.  Coaches that are in year 3 or more, but not long time veterans.  KSU and KU have skill players on both sides of the ball.  KSU has all o-line players returning with some decent skill players all around.  Point is they are building rosters piece by piece.  Players are going there and playing and performing at high levels against good P-5 competition.  Frost has been the biggest disappointment in all of this.  He didn't get out and recruit.  He did not develop a roster.  Rhule has to almost restart from stratch, almost.  We do have enough pieces to win at least 5 this season, but we are not going to blow anyone out.

So far, really nothing.  I think 3 wins are possible and 4 are likely the best they can do this season..  I did enjoy watching the defense.  They kept it a game that was inexcusable to lose.  

The offense is a complete mess.  Nothing dynamic, nothing special, nothing to see as promising.  Predictable passing game without the arm or the receivers to move the ball.   This was not a case of first game jitters, mental mistakes or lack of team cohesion.  They look like they are running in sand.  This will take a few years, maybe only 2 with the portal but will stud players want to transfer to Lincoln?.   That sure is a familiar thought pattern, but no blame for Rhule at this point.  Not enough pieces to compete.  Watching many other games this weekends made watching us even worse.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedRig said:

So far, really nothing.  I think 3 wins are possible and 4 are likely the best they can do this season..  I did enjoy watching the defense.  They kept it a game that was inexcusable to lose.  

The offense is a complete mess.  Nothing dynamic, nothing special, nothing to see as promising.  Predictable passing game without the arm or the receivers to move the ball.   This was not a case of first game jitters, mental mistakes or lack of team cohesion.  They look like they are running in sand.  This will take a few years, maybe only 2 with the portal but will stud players want to transfer to Lincoln?.   That sure is a familiar thought pattern, but no blame for Rhule at this point.  Not enough pieces to compete.  Watching many other games this weekends made watching us even worse.  

I think this is a good post.  The fact that I see so many trying to justify that the Gophers are an elite team really cause me concern.  That was a bad football team compared to what they have had in recent years.  That team might have the same issues we do- no down field passing threats or a QB who can throw it.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
27 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think this is a good post.  The fact that I see so many trying to justify that the Gophers are an elite team really cause me concern.  That was a bad football team compared to what they have had in recent years.  That team might have the same issues we do- no down field passing threats or a QB who can throw it.

An elite team? Minnesota's team isn't the caliber of years past IMO.