Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You pointed out two examples.  I responded with why I don't think they are nearly as definitive as what you claim they are.  

Can you point me to where Rhule agreed?  I don't recall hearing/reading that.

I pointed out 2 because they were the easiest to define for you in the video you provided.  2nd and 3rd pass play’s.  It’s harder to relay what plays I’m speaking of for the other three on a message board but I could probably do that for you if you really want it.  

Did Rhule agree with the 5/6 plays I thought specifically from the Purdue game and comment on all five or has he commented that HH is slow on his reads in general at times and missing open receivers?  
Obviously the latter and no I won’t be going back through 5 weeks of press conferences to point them out.   

All that said, Let me just ask, do you think HH is doing a quality job (I know, that’s subjective so take it from your eye test)in the passing game this year?   If not, why not.  If so, how so?  

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I pointed out 2 because they were the easiest to define for you in the video you provided.  2nd and 3rd pass play’s.  It’s harder to relay what plays I’m speaking of for the other three on a message board but I could probably do that for you if you really want it.  

Did Rhule agree with the 5/6 plays I thought specifically from the Purdue game and comment on all five or has he commented that HH is slow on his reads in general at times and missing open receivers?  
Obviously the latter and no I won’t be going back through 5 weeks of press conferences to point them out.   

All that said, Let me just ask, do you think HH is doing a quality job (I know, that’s subjective so take it from your eye test)in the passing game this year?   If not, why not.  If so, how so?  

I didn't expect you to have a quote for those specific plays.  Just where he was talking about him locking on to receivers in general.  I don't recall hearing that - which doesn't mean he didn't say it.  I'm just curious about the context.  I'm sure there are plays where he's locked on to one guy.  I'm not sure if there is a QB out there who hasn't at times.  But I don't think it's nearly as much as some people are trying to claim.

I don't think we are all that great at passing this year.  I think HH has been somewhat below average (in the passing game) for what I would like to see from a starting QB for Nebraska.  But there are also a ton of factors at play in that, not the least of which he hasn't gotten a lot of practice reps (until the last few weeks) and the cast of players around him is constantly in flux.  So I think it's fair to criticize his play.  But I also think too many people see one thing and make too big of a deal about it or blame a player for everything that goes wrong when a lot of it is not necessarily their fault.  And it's pretty easy to jump to lazy conclusions ("he took a sack so he must have held on to the ball too long) rather than look at what actually happened.

58 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You pointed out two examples.  I responded with why I don't think they are nearly as definitive as what you claim they are.  

Can you point me to where Rhule agreed?  I don't recall hearing/reading that.

Figured I’d point the others out.  Hope I counted right.

We’ve already discussed the obvious examples of  play 3 and play 4 on video 1.   Play 15 I could see someone say is questionable on video 1. 

Play 6, play 7, play 8 on video 2 are where he stares down and waits way too long, getting crushed on one.  Kid needs to realize if you have a step you are open and on video 2 he allowed the defender to play the out route by not throwing before the receiver break to the point the receiver will end up breaking open.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure if there is a QB out there who hasn't at times.  But I don't think it's nearly as much as some people are trying to claim.

Agree with the first sentence but obviously we disagree on the second.  

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

and the cast of players around him is constantly in flux. 

You do bring up a good point here in that it’s tough to get a rhythm of when a specific receiver makes his breaks on routes and how even judging how he will break.  This could definitely affect accuracy and I would give him a break on some passes that maybe just miss an open guy, though I would add, that doesn’t really affect the stare down issue he has imo.  

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And it's pretty easy to jump to lazy conclusions ("he took a sack so he must have held on to the ball too long) rather than look at what actually happened.

Sure and I agree…

That’s why I didn’t count the pass play where Benhart got blown up.  HH only looked to one guy, but that’s literally all he had time to do before seeing a 280lb’er wanting to crush him.  

But when HH gets to a count of 2.5-3 seconds without looking elsewhere (whether it’s an initial look off to get back to his #1 or moving on from #1), and a sack comes at 4+ seconds.  It’s hard to claim a coverage sack or bad OLine play when the QB really only looked at one small section of the field.  This is where AM struggled too imo.  

• Plus1 1

On 11/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, runningblind said:

I disagree. He does it a large percentage of the time.  He was doing it in the very clip I listed and only moved to the second target at the last moment before he ran directly into a defender. 

On that very specific play, HH was already off his primary read, and was in the process of moving from his 2nd to his check down when he found out the defender initially covering his check down had come off him.  

On the broader topic of HH staring down his primary receivers, yes and no.  He's often throwing a beat late, so he's on his reads longer, but I see his head moving from primary often in a lot of these clips.  I'm always critical of execution and technique because it can always be better, but it's a lot for a player who is in a new system, didn't expect to play this season, and wasn't legitimately being coached a year ago to be dialed into the progression of every concept they run.  He'll improve a lot "IF" they can fix or restore his mechanics imo.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

Is Haarberg getting better with more experience under his belt?

I honestly can't tell one way or the other. But after the next four games (let's make it five) we should see a QB and an OC who knows what Haarberg can do best, and see him doing it better. 

That QB might not beat out the right portal addition, but if he wins a bowl game it's going to be hard to keep him out of the mix. 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is Haarberg getting better with more experience under his belt?

Statistically, he's kind of all over the place, which I think is why you, me, and probably a lot of us can't really tell if he's getting better based on what we see on the field. For example, I've been impressed with his ability to find some deep passes the last couple games, but his running style has also gotten a bit timid and he's fumbled a bunch so it's kind of a big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

100% agree you with regarding the future, though, especially if they were to finish with say 7-8 wins or maybe even a bowl victory. It would take a pretty special player to unseat HH even if HH isn't objectively that great of a QB.

• TBH 1

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

What do you mean, "in it's entirety"?  Have you seen the plays you're talking about on the All 22?

I have not seen an All 22 video recap of the entire Purdue game.  I thought “in its entirety” was pretty self explanatory. 

Have you seen the plays you disagree with me about on an All 22 format? 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Enhance said:

Statistically, he's kind of all over the place, which I think is why you, me, and probably a lot of us can't really tell if he's getting better based on what we see on the field. For example, I've been impressed with his ability to find some deep passes the last couple games, but his running style has also gotten a bit timid and he's fumbled a bunch so it's kind of a big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

100% agree you with regarding the future, though, especially if they were to finish with say 7-8 wins or maybe even a bowl victory. It would take a pretty special player to unseat HH even if HH isn't objectively that great of a QB.

the same thing happened with T. Mart, A. Mart and to a lesser extent T. Armstrong.  The coaches talk about protecting themselves meaning sliding or running out of bounds but they all became timid runners and started to slow down right before contact.  I don't think that is protecting yourself.  I'm not saying you have to try to run everyone over but you gotta be going full go.