Why Nebraska will never return to glory

unl7fan

55 minutes ago, unl7fan said:

I believe we would win with both, but with Deion it comes sooner with the risk of him leaving after 2-3 seasons vs taking 2-3 years to possibly turn a program around. Matt Rhule is proven. His offensive staff is not. His QB is not. Love the defensive staff.  I truly believe this program will not return to glory without taking the current blueprint to win titles (Money out the wazoo). We didn’t spend anything compared to top programs this year on staff, recruits, etc

You make some interesting points, but the larger question remains..........how do you clone Dion? (IF  you agree with my premise that HE would NOT come here)

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

Wow, this thread is exhausting. I do appreciate the commitment to making the same point, over and over and over again though. Gotta respect the dedication!

Just for clarification though, is Nike better than Adidas?

The population has spoken and YES! I asked Siri too and she said who in the hell wears adidas post Kanye

6 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

May be the reason why we will not return to glory is because fans blame adidas instead of admitting that our ADs continue to choose the wrong coaches for the job. Or just may be because we fired two 9-win coaches? Just spitballing.

image.gif.e54ebafc9990e071bbcbff634019d76e.gif

And the Adidas contract and political inbreeding around the program (see Matt Davison’s fall from being Frost’s beer b****/deflector shield to UIL pimp) for good measure.

It *can* be more than just one thing…

• TBH 1
16 hours ago, unl7fan said:

image.thumb.png.06eec445c5915946fac8d816de0ee802.pngStats from the Starting QB of a title team (Not even close to the best QB last year, light years better than Sims)

So wait Sims Freshman year he had:

1478 yds, 7.8 ypa, 12 TD 7 int

Stetson Bennet Junior year 

1179 yds, 7.6 ypa, 8 TDs 6 int

Fire Kirby Smart. How did he think Bennet would even be a good QB after stats like that!!! 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

image.gif.e54ebafc9990e071bbcbff634019d76e.gif

And the Adidas contract and political inbreeding around the program (see Matt Davison’s fall from being Frost’s beer b****/deflector shield to UIL pimp) for good measure.

It *can* be more than just one thing…

Absolutely.  And "political inbreeding" strips the thing bare for what it is.  Quality phrase for this discussion. 

Caveat for me though is that I'm not so sure the AD could get away with "choosing the wrong coaches" on his own.  I admit to being unenlightened with regard to the true "behind the scenes" processes as a coach is sought and vetted and then approved by all who need to do that, but if Riley, for instance,  was a survivor of all that, strangely anemic coach that he was, then perhaps the hiring system needs a committee of players, current and past (from successful Husker teams) to give input.  Looking back over the past coaching regimes here I'd say that committee would have not allowed Pelini or Solich to be removed but would have advised to learn to get along with them as coaches can be weird and high strung etc as they produce 9 win seasons (Dr. Tom aside).

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

So wait Sims Freshman year he had:

1478 yds, 7.8 ypa, 12 TD 7 int

Stetson Bennet Junior year 

1179 yds, 7.6 ypa, 8 TDs 6 int

Fire Kirby Smart. How did he think Bennet would even be a good QB after stats like that!!! 

Yeah disregard the 2 years he was a full time starter that put him in the NFL. He was also a walk-on so Kirby didn’t have to do s#!t to get him

13 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

May be the reason why we will not return to glory is because fans blame adidas instead of admitting that our ADs continue to choose the wrong coaches for the job. Or just may be because we fired two 9-win coaches? Just spitballing.

Maybe it is a sign we stick with the old instead of adapting to the new. Adidas is a sign of old, Nike is always adapting, adidas does the same old boring s#!t. We have had head coaches that were fine, but there are always holes in the quality of assistants. They hire friends instead of the best out there. FWIW People would laugh at you if you wore adidas gear with Jordan’s or Dunks outside of the middle of the country. Whole different world where the best recruits live.