*** Official Louisiana Tech Game Thread ***

Mavric

I think the decision to bring in the back-ups after the rain delay made a ton of sense based on Rhule's vision for the program and some of the things he has said about building depth.

We have a lot of problems offensively and not many weapons - there isn't much to be gained from just 1-2 more drives that late in this kind of game for the starters.

Style points mostly matter to fans and the people who vote in the polls, neither of which are super relevant to Rhule getting this program back to a competitive level.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

58 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're not wrong. It's tough to be among the top ten in the nation in sacks but have almost no holding penalties called on your opponents. Doesn't add up.

On LA Tech's first TD Singleton was clearly getting held. Lineman's hands were outside his shoulders. It should have been any easy call for the side judge.

The amount of times this season I've seen our defenders tackled trying to get off a block, or twisted around scrambling after the QB with no call is unreal.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I feel like we (as fans) have spent several seasons disappointed in the lack of holding calls in Nebraska's favor all while acknowledging they haven't consistently been good at getting pressure, so it feels a little bit like we want our cake and we want to eat it, too. Officiating kind of is what it is in this sport. I think the players need to be better and make good on their opportunities more often.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

On LA Tech's first TD Singleton was clearly getting held. Lineman's hands were outside his shoulders. It should have been any easy call for the side judge.

The amount of times this season I've seen our defenders tackled trying to get off a block, or twisted around scrambling after the QB with no call is unreal.

At this point it can’t even be incompetence, it’s intentional no calls. The first TD run from HH should have stood. Kemp got caught holding but there was a defender right next to him that was holding as well. Should have been offset and 6 points

1 minute ago, Scofrosghost said:

At this point it can’t even be incompetence, it’s intentional no calls. The first TD run from HH should have stood. Kemp got caught holding but there was a defender right next to that was holding even worse. Should have been offset and 6 points

About the only time holding will be called on a defender (other than in the pass game) is if they drag their man down to the ground, or blatantly grab a guys jersey to prevent him from pulling or going to the second level (but you almost never actually see this).

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I feel like we (as fans) have spent several seasons disappointed in the lack of holding calls in Nebraska's favor all while acknowledging they haven't consistently been good at getting pressure, so it feels a little bit like we want our cake and we want to eat it, too. Officiating kind of is what it is in this sport. I think the players need to be better and make good on their opportunities more often.

I think the B1G is just all around terrible about policing holding. Our linemen have gotten away with it quite a bit too. I understand it's a tough judgement call to make since it happens on almost every play to some extent, but the egregious stuff shouldn't be this difficult call and be consistent about it.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:27 PM, Cornbred said:

87,000 people in a stadium that holds 91,000 and it's a sellout?

Stadium capacity hasn't been 91,000 since 2017. They've been reducing seats the past several years and will continue to do so.

That's why the 2014 Miami game will always be the record attendance number. 

On 9/23/2023 at 4:27 PM, Cornbred said:

87,000 people in a stadium that holds 91,000 and it's a sellout?

The official capacity is more in the 85,000-86,000 range.  The announced attendances often pushes 90,000 because they count everyone in the stadium - media, vendors, game day staff, etc.  And I don't know how many seats they "took out" when they redid the east stadium balcony to be club seating this year.

Also, it should be obvious by now that selling the tickets doesn't mean the people actually show up.

• Plus1 1