What did we learn Michigan Game

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

The bolded sums it up, a combination of those two things to some extent.  We were good for decades because we had an advantage over everyone else, to make up for our geographical location disadvantages.  This feels like our chance to gain that advantage back, which means we must do MORE than everyone else to theoretically gain an advantage.  It won't be good enough to simply be in the middle of the pack here unless we are just cool with being in the middle of the pack overall.  Maybe we are and this is just my last ditch wishful thinking before I accept reality that what's gone is gone.  Yes, I understand we must develop, and it doesn't guarantee anything, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I also do not trust the Peeds/Davison as far as I can throw them. 

The problem I have with this line of thinking is, what makes anyone think Nebraska can do more than other schools when it comes to NIL? This program has been a dumpster fire for about 25 years. Why should Nebraska be able to afford more than peer schools, who have had more on field success? And to complain that we aren’t doing enough is really saying our big donors need to kick in more. I’m not about to act like people that are already contributing 5-6-7 figures that they need to be doing more. 

And I assume that many of those big NIL contributions also have some strings attached. I don’t know much about Peeds etc. but I’m guessing they are fairly active in directing exactly how their money is used. I just don’t get why people would think Nebraska can run with or exceed the big dogs when it comes to NIL. Maybe if Warren got involved but as far as I know he isn’t and won’t be to that extent. It’s other people’s money, who I am to question anything about it?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s other people’s money, who I am to question anything about it?

Bingo! 

Anyone thinking NIL is the reason we have not been winning at the level we expected is looking for the easy answer. I would have thought last year's Texas A&M NIL program would have taught some lessons as they bought the top rated class only to see a disappointing season followed by a lot of players transferring. To win anything of importance, football still comes down to coaching, development, and game strategy. 

We have enough talent, size, speed, etc. on the team to win +80% of our games in any given year. Where we have been falling short is in the development and coaching of the talent on the roster. I believe Rhule & Co. is in the process of correcting this, but it will take time. NIL alone will not solve these issues and bringing in mercenaries is not a sustainable strategy. 

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem I have with this line of thinking is, what makes anyone think Nebraska can do more than other schools when it comes to NIL? This program has been a dumpster fire for about 25 years. Why should Nebraska be able to afford more than peer schools, who have had more on field success? And to complain that we aren’t doing enough is really saying our big donors need to kick in more. I’m not about to act like people that are already contributing 5-6-7 figures that they need to be doing more. 

And I assume that many of those big NIL contributions also have some strings attached. I don’t know much about Peeds etc. but I’m guessing they are fairly active in directing exactly how their money is used. I just don’t get why people would think Nebraska can run with or exceed the big dogs when it comes to NIL. Maybe if Warren got involved but as far as I know he isn’t and won’t be to that extent. It’s other people’s money, who I am to question anything about it?

The unparalleled fan support we supposedly have, and it's been a narrative that we could/would/should be major players in NIL.

Also, it's money being donated to the football program you're a fan of. It's ok to question this. It's a wierd hang up to worry about what people do with this money. It isn't a personal small business like some keep acting. Spending this money that is donated for this purpose is a part of the game now, get over that.

• TBH 1
22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The unparalleled fan support we supposedly have, and it's been a narrative that we could/would/should be major players in NIL.

Also, it's money being donated to the football program you're a fan of. It's ok to question this. It's a wierd hang up to worry about what people do with this money. It isn't a personal small business like some keep acting. Spending this money that is donated for this purpose is a part of the game now, get over that.

Well sort of. Money donated for NIL purposes is not the same as football program revenue. AFAIK the university/football program really can’t have anything to do with the NIL money. Those are funds donated to one of the collectives and the people contributing can specify where and how they want it spent and the collective is just a middle man that assures everything is done in a kosher manner. I mean it’s still not pay for play (with a wink wink anyway).

And from all I’ve seen, we are a major player in NIL. I’d say at a much higher level than we should be at this time. That’s why I push back on the thought that we should be doing so much more. Besides nobody really knows what we are or aren’t doing to begin with.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

22 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Well sort of. Money donated for NIL purposes is not the same as football program revenue. AFAIK the university/football program really can’t have anything to do with the NIL money. Those are funds donated to one of the collectives and the people contributing can specify where and how they want it spent and the collective is just a middle man that assures everything is done in a kosher manner. I mean it’s still not pay for play (with a wink wink anyway).

And from all I’ve seen, we are a major player in NIL. I’d say at a much higher level than we should be at this time. That’s why I push back on the thought that we should be doing so much more. Besides nobody really knows what we are or aren’t doing to begin with.

It's mostly me lamenting that this was our chance to get a leg up on the competition, and it isn't working out cleanly/easily/quickly, and I can feel in my bones Nebraska is truly never coming back to anything close to what we were.

I'm mourning man! :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
12 minutes ago, Matty said:

Check out this link (set it to show 100 rows instead of 10). https://graphics.wsj.com/table/NCAA_2019
so Nebraska is 15th. Too far below the top teams but still a player. 

Still significantly better than +90% of the country and most of our opponents. So the NIL argument is essentially a moot point. Comes down to the coaching and development. 

Thank you for the link though, pretty neat stats.

• Plus1 2
On 10/3/2023 at 9:27 AM, Enhance said:

Personally I agree with @Mavric: 4-8 vs. 5-7 doesn't do much for me, even if that additional win was against a perceptibly good opponent. Bad teams beat good teams all the time in college football, so if a team is in the 3-5 win area it all feels roughly similar to me.

Because I like charts, this is approximately how many wins would correlate with my football happiness in relation to the current state of Husker football. 1.00 representing an incapability to be any happier. At the moment, 6 wins would be a huge boon.

Happiness Rating vs. Wins (2).png

What makes this season sort of worse is that we see how horrible the West really is, like, we always knew it was super lame but this year is even lamer.

So, basically this should be a Bo year, 6 conference wins, get smoked by 1 team, lose to a crap team, something like that. 9-3 with a lame bowl game against some 4th place SEC team.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think there was this idea that with so many NU fans there would be tons of NIL money.  I don't know anyone that has donated though.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I believe that the NIL collective for NU should literally post "jobs" 

QB wanted

Must have at least 10 starts at D1 or FCS level.  Must have completed over 65% of passes and have more touchdowns than interceptions.  

Literally just post what you want and go from there, be aggressive and open about it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

It's mostly me lamenting that this was our chance to get a leg up on the competition, and it isn't working out cleanly/easily/quickly, and I can feel in my bones Nebraska is truly never coming back to anything cloae to what we were.

I'm mourning man! :lol:

Oh believe me, I understand. I may start worrying about NIL when we finally start posting results in the same zip code as our recruiting rankings. On paper we’re recruiting at a higher level than all of the B1G West and most of the East yet….3-9. That tells me getting talent in the door hasn’t been the problem. Although I’d be hard pressed to prove we have much talent on the current roster. QB and WRs seem like they’d be at the top of the list and nada. I’m just going to be patient (once again) and hope Rhule gets it straightened out.

• Plus1 2

Even though we'll probably never find out, it would be interesting to know what the NIL breakdown is between all the different possible funding sources (donations and private endorsements) and what kind of traction they're getting with donations in particular. Is it 50/50, 30/70, that kind of a thing.

For example, I imagine Raiola would've been of deep interest to the boosters what with his connections and potential, but I'd be curious how much tolerance the average booster has for getting annual pings to help fund NIL.

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

And from all I’ve seen, we are a major player in NIL

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Besides nobody really knows what we are or aren’t doing to begin with.

How do we know we are a major player yet also nobody really knows to begin with?  Not trying to pick directly towards you JJ, you just happen to be the latest one to say what others have been saying.  

When NIL started, almost every article about it said this would give Nebraska an advantage.  I can only speak for myself, but I take that as an advantage over the other perennial top 25-30 teams and not an advantage over Alcorn State or Northern Illinois.  

Plus, didn’t Trev just waste like $10 mill or more to buy out Frost 2 or three weeks early?  To get the team a grand total of 4 wins last year?   I understand that money was “donated” to buy him out, but couldn’t Trev have talked a little common sense and say “let’s ride with Scott for three weeks and you all put that money into a collective and let’s blow out NIL opportunities these next two years ON TOP of everything else we currently do to recruit players”.   I say “on top of” because people keep saying “ you can’t just only throw NIL money to get top recruits”.  

We are constantly in the Top 5 of these high 4 star kids and once in awhile some 5 star kids.  Maybe being the top NIL school for a few years, giving the kids much more than anywhere else will be what gets these kids over the hump and pick NU.  

• Plus1 2