What players leave? 2023/24 version

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Seems like they move Butler, Umanmielen, & Sherman all over. Not sure position really matters anymore. 

2 hours ago, Akees said:

Butler is a DE. PWill is going to be the starting Jack when healthy. He flashed much more last year than Borders or Sherman. 

Legitimately forgot about Umanmielen. Was he rehabbing this spring?

Some rumblings that he wanted starter-level NIL money, even though he was a second-stringer. Doubt he'll find the money he was looking for elsewhere...

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, Toe said:

Some rumblings that he wanted starter-level NIL money, even though he was a second-stringer. Doubt he'll find the money he was looking for elsewhere...

Looked like he was running with the 1's in the spring game to me.  Granted, Princewill was out.  Did Rhule make a run at Princewill's brother?  That would have been a good trade in Jan.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Toe said:

With all the tampering going on, he probably already knows what he will get elsewhere. Might just be leaving for more money.

8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

With all the tampering going on, he probably already knows what he will get elsewhere. Might just be leaving for more money.

C'mon.  Who's going to give a bag to someone that has 12 tackles in 3 years and couldn't crack the 2 deep at Florida or Nebraska?

My guess is that coming in as a transfer last year we probably gave him around $100k.  He'll probably end up at some Sun Belt, CUSA, or American school.  Small chance he gets the amount we are paying him at one of those schools.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, teachercd said:

Sort of...I mean there will always be the starter and a backup.  

What it is probably more of is your developmental guys are no longer developing at your place...

Why sit at NU when you can start to Toledo and make some cash and transfer.  

I try to look at it if it was me or if it was a family member.  

Would I rather sit and maybe get paid "something" or leave, get paid more (hopefully) and play.

It is such an interesting situation because you get 5 years...and then it is gone, forever.  It is like a great sci-fi book...and the last chapter is 5 years from the start of the book and it is "your end".  

For me, I am a creature of habit and I hate moving/changing, I would 99% stay.  But I can see why others leave and you are kind of right, the 2nd stringer is sort of dying out.

Who says a MAC team can pay anything on NIL? 

There are rumblings that Power 5 teams can barely pay anything to the starters.  UCLA for example.  Has maybe 1 million/year to pay out to ALL student athletes.

To me that is what is so goofy about the money argument.  Nebraska, by all accounts is in the top 10 in NIL money in the country.  To me the only reason players will leave this situation is if they don't care about money, or they don't like the situation here.  (Which I think is nuts, but to each their own)

• TBH 3
1 minute ago, soup said:

Who says a MAC team can pay anything on NIL? 

There are rumblings that Power 5 teams can barely pay anything to the starters.  UCLA for example.  Has maybe 1 million/year to pay out to ALL student athletes.

To me that is what is so goofy about the money argument.  Nebraska, by all accounts is in the top 10 in NIL money in the country.  To me the only reason players will leave this situation is if they don't care about money, or they don't like the situation here.  (Which I think is nuts, but to each their own)

You might be right, those MAC schools might not be paying much or anything at all.  I have no idea, I think a lot of the numbers we hear are totally inflated.

I think CBB is where the real money is being spent, you really only need 2 or 3 "money" players to have a good team.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
Just now, Red Five said:

A couple of walkons entered the portal

QB Jack Woche So

LB Korver Demma RFr

Today is I believe the last day of the portal. Should have quite a few names come out soon. 

13 minutes ago, Decked said:

Today is I believe the last day of the portal. Should have quite a few names come out soon. 

Yesterday was the last day to submit your paperwork.  But schools have 48 hours to get it processed.

So everyone who is in should be in now.  But there might be a few that haven't announced/been processed yet.

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yesterday was the last day to submit your paperwork.  But schools have 48 hours to get it processed.

So everyone who is in should be in now.  But there might be a few that haven't announced/been processed yet.

There’s got to be quite a few we are significantly over last I heard. 

5 hours ago, Decked said:

There’s got to be quite a few we are significantly over last I heard. 

Yes and no.  By my count, we are currently at 95 players who would be expected to be on scholarship.  But I feel fairly certain that most of the older transfers and even a few of the lower-rated HS guys came in knowing they would be on NIL deals instead of scholarships.  

So it seems very likely that most of the group of IGC, Ben Scott, MJ Sherman, Elijah Juedy, Neyor, Banks, Mazzccua, Thompson and possibly even Jacob Hood, Tyler Knaak, Blye Hill and Dante Dowdell have never been on scholarship.  That's 12 guys right there.  And I wouldn't bet against the same going for some of the group of Eric Ingwerson, Ashton Murphy, Caleb Benning, Braylen Prude, Donovan Jones and Rex Guthrie.

All those names are speculation on my part.  But I bet there 8-10 in that group that aren't scholarship guys.

• TBH 3