2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t even want to share this because, if true, it kinda pisses me off. But it is so rare that I get anything resembling inside information. According to a booster in a position to know…. McCord wanted $2M and NU wouldn’t do that. Take it for what it’s worth.

I’m going to choose to believe that it’s because Raiola wanted a legit shot at starting as frosh and McCord demanded to be penciled in as the guy. I mean from all we’ve heard, I would expect the going rate for a guy like McCord would be about $2M. I refuse to believe we are bargain shopping for a legit QB1.

Do you think that Nebraska would offer that to Raiola if that's what he wants??  Or it's not about the money and their is something else to him wanting to come here at the last second?

I have no inside knowledge but I think we are big dollar for a QB.  This drew interest from McCord but also if McCord doesn’t come that same big payday goes to Raiola.  His uncle gets a hefty raise and basically the job and money is his and he doesn’t have to sit like he would at Georgia. Does anyone else think if McCord commits, Raiola backs off and if McCord doesn’t commit Raiola is in as the starter?  In either scenario Danny K remains as a redshirt freshman and Purdy is #2. 

9 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Your crazy & delusional. 

I won’t dispute that :lol:

but how are we supposed to have any idea what the going rates are? The best info we have to go on was Rhule’s statement that portal QBs were $1-$2M. If McCord isn’t considered at the upper end of that range, who would be?

• Worth a Look 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

but how are we supposed to have any idea what the going rates are? The best info we have to go on was Rhule’s statement that portal QBs were $1-$2M. If McCord isn’t considered at the upper end of that range, who would be?

Well maybe we are offering that much to Raiola or close to that.  He isn't just the number one qb bc of his name.  Kids like him don't just fall off a tree and decide to come here.  When you been a bunch of losers for half a generation you wouldn't even want to consider even hearing or looking that way bc what do you have to show for it nothing.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Riola's tape looks really good, but I dont think you pay a freshman that much.   NU probably has something to say but not the final. I'm guessing we don't have $2m to pay any qb. 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t even want to share this because, if true, it kinda pisses me off. But it is so rare that I get anything resembling inside information. According to a booster in a position to know…. McCord wanted $2M and NU wouldn’t do that. Take it for what it’s worth.

I’m going to choose to believe that it’s because Raiola wanted a legit shot at starting as frosh and McCord demanded to be penciled in as the guy. I mean from all we’ve heard, I would expect the going rate for a guy like McCord would be about $2M. I refuse to believe we are bargain shopping for a legit QB1.

Not shooting the messenger.

Just saying that I doubt Syracuse ponied up $2M.  So it seems unlikely.

• TBH 7
3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Riola's tape looks really good, but I dont think you pay a freshman that much.   NU probably has something to say but not the final. I'm guessing we don't have $2m to pay any qb. 

Well we were talking about McCord, not DR. And IIRC back at the first go with Raiola people were talking $8M+ in NIL for him.

I guess my whole point is, how are we supposed to have any idea what the pay scale is or should be. It’s all conjecture and hearsay.

The timing of having Kyle McCord visit at the same time of Raiola potentially switching from Georgia to Nebraska was not good. Every QB in the portal wants to be the starter at the team they are transferring and they would rather not have much competition. The question remains as to our chances of actually landing a decent QB. Also, the potential of Raiola in college football is a question mark. Not proven until he plays his first game in college football. He might turn out to be a dud like his uncle’s coaching talent.

7 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well maybe we are offering that much to Raiola or close to that.  He isn't just the number one qb bc of his name.  Kids like him don't just fall off a tree and decide to come here.  When you been a bunch of losers for half a generation you wouldn't even want to consider even hearing or looking that way bc what do you have to show for it nothing.

Like I said I don't think we have that much for 1 player. This money goes out to several players in different sports - men & women.