2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

12 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I have no inside knowledge but I think we are big dollar for a QB.  This drew interest from McCord but also if McCord doesn’t come that same big payday goes to Raiola.  His uncle gets a hefty raise and basically the job and money is his and he doesn’t have to sit like he would at Georgia. Does anyone else think if McCord commits, Raiola backs off and if McCord doesn’t commit Raiola is in as the starter?  In either scenario Danny K remains as a redshirt freshman and Purdy is #2. 

The bolded part has nothing to do with Dylan, the extension was done well before the DR possibility came back to the fore. Donovan was the only coach on the staff whose contract was up after this season since he only had 1 year left in his deal when he was retained. Rhule feels like Donovan is doing a good job, both in coaching and recruiting, and wanted to keep him, hence the extension and raise. Frankly I think many fans also realize now that Donovan is a pretty good coach and it is disrespectful to him to keep spouting this DR conspiracy nonsense. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 6

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Ok Shedeur Sanders 4.8 million, Arch Manning 2.8, Caleb Williams 2.7 million and just because you choose not to believe that Nebraska doesn't have that type of money maybe you should understand the realism that qb's do get that type of money.

You are in another world.  Heisman trophy winner & 2 family all star names. You really need to get your money out & call 1890.  McCord is not worth 2m. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Which part?  Many of you portal posts lack common sense. 

If you don't agree with the fact that McCord isn't worth 2 million fine I do.  Let's just say he came here and we decided to pay him that much what does he automatically do for the offense.  He is a upgrade by far with who Nebraska has had over the years.  He comes with a winners mentality something that Nebraska hasn't had for 7 years.  He can actually throw the football and doesn't make much mistakes.  You can say bc he was from Ohio State that his stats are bc of great players that surround him which is true but it does take the ability and finesse to make the throws that he needs to make.  If McCord would have taken us to a bowl game and had success this up coming year that alone would be worth the money.  You say he isn't worth 2 million only bc of how much you would have to pay him but it's all the other things that you don't consider or say as to why he isn't worth that much.  If Ohio State didn't have stupid expectations like us he still be the starter at Thee Ohio State the prestige program.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
20 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You say he isn't worth 2 million only bc of how much you would have to pay him but it's all the other things that you don't consider or say as to why he isn't worth that much.  If Ohio State didn't have stupid expectations like us he still be the starter at Thee Ohio State the prestige program.

I think the point is that it's a head scratcher as to how anybody would come up with the exact figure of $2M.

If we had just an insane pool of funds laying around for example with the 1890 Initiative and there wasn't anything else that gets negatively impacted and that's the figure it takes to pull him in, then sure. Maybe he's worth that much because he's an upgrade.

But if that figure detracts from other players then maybe it isn't.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

You'd have to probably start with how much total money is in the slush fund. But we don't have that info.

What's a 3rd string Center at Georgia making? It's easy to justify in our heads to pay a QB X amount of money because of the value of the position is so high, but it's the collective total of the team that matters and your ability to not only pay that but continue to pay an ever escalating increase.

Sports economics don't function quite like regular economics because the values are only significant relative to each other. 10 million dollars is a lot of money but if you think you're better than the guy making 15 million then you're getting screwed. Sports organizations all over the world have had to put in spending regulations to literally keep teams from spending their way into debt. It's so easy to justify player expense in the name of competition but what happens is at the end of the day the payout doesn't always cover the expenditure.

The NIL thing right now has no real regulation and with the way the NCAA and its member schools are set up and with the courts constantly getting involved I'm not sure how there can be, legally speaking, any sort of regulation needed to get this thing in check without a significant restructuring and collective organization by the respective parties.

1 minute ago, brophog said:

What's a 3rd string Center at Georgia making? It's easy to justify in our heads to pay a QB X amount of money because of the value of the position is so high, but it's the collective total of the team that matters and your ability to not only pay that but continue to pay an ever escalating increase.

Sports economics don't function quite like regular economics because the values are only significant relative to each other. 10 million dollars is a lot of money but if you think you're better than the guy making 15 million then you're getting screwed. Sports organizations all over the world have had to put in spending regulations to literally keep teams from spending their way into debt. It's so easy to justify player expense in the name of competition but what happens is at the end of the day the payout doesn't always cover the expenditure.

The NIL thing right now has no real regulation and with the way the NCAA and its member schools are set up and with the courts constantly getting involved I'm not sure how there can be, legally speaking, any sort of regulation needed to get this thing in check without a significant restructuring and collective organization by the respective parties.

Football needs to break away, from both the NCAA and from other sports.  The only way this calms down and college sports remains somewhat what it has been for a century is if this happens.  Take 64 teams and form a league, with a CBA, NIL cap, etc.  Put the other sports back in regional conferences where parents can drive to watch their kids soccer or track meet versus having to fly to Rutgers in order to watch them.   Only the sport with a 15 ish game season makes sense to fly all over the country. 

10 minutes ago, brophog said:

Sports economics don't function quite like regular economics because the values are only significant relative to each other. 10 million dollars is a lot of money but if you think you're better than the guy making 15 million then you're getting screwed.

Sports economics still adhere to the law of supply & demand just like anything else, though. And the transfer portal plays that out; if there are a bunch of "Kyle McCord's" in the portal in the offseason, the value of each probably go down. I think you're talking about something different which is that player salaries in general are on a different planet than somebody working the average job.

Sports organizations all over the world have had to put in spending regulations to literally keep teams from spending their way into debt. It's so easy to justify player expense in the name of competition but what happens is at the end of the day the payout doesn't always cover the expenditure.

Pretty much the same as examining the price/equity ratio of a company's valuation and then factoring in their debt, I'd say. But I see your concerns there and you went on to talk about going into debt, etc., here:

From my own political philosophical standpoint, I'm not particularly uncomfortable with the government/ruling bodies not being heavily involved in this yet. But my biggest question is about whether or not there should be a salary cap of some kind similar to the NFL's.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Sports economics still adhere to the law of supply & demand just like anything else, though. And the transfer portal plays that out; if there are a bunch of "Kyle McCord's" in the portal in the offseason, the value of each probably go down. I think you're talking about something different which is that player salaries in general are on a different planet than somebody working the average job.

Pretty much the same as examining the price/equity ratio of a company's valuation and then factoring in their debt, I'd say. But I see your concerns there and you went on to talk about going into debt, etc., here:

From my own political philosophical standpoint, I'm not particularly uncomfortable with the government/ruling bodies not being heavily involved in this yet. But my biggest question is about whether or not there should be a salary cap of some kind similar to the NFL's.

Do you think that since MLB doesn't have a salary cap that it is a unfair advantage to smaller market teams?  I ask that question bc some would say it's a unfair advantage that the Yankee's and Dodgers can go pay a certain amount of money to a player they feel can help their team.  I know we are talking about 2 different sports but same concept with salary caps.  Bc HC Matt Rhule said that their are teams that shell out 7-8 million dollars to players and I tend to think that those teams are winning at a high level.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If you don't agree with the fact that McCord isn't worth 2 million fine I do. 

Nah man, he's clearly worth $100 million! I mean as long as we're spending other people's money here, right?

• Haha 1