****Wisconsin Game Day Thread****

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The people mad about not getting a field goal are not requiring the team to call higher risk plays in this situation. You can save the clock, then run 3 moderate to low risk plays. You can run the ball on 3rd with the plan to run out the clock on 4th down before kicking the FG. The only arguments against doing it that way are maybe we fumble it or maybe Wisconsin calls a time out at 28 secs to try to score after our FG. But that’s the most conservative way you can call it. 

The best option if your offense is shaky is save the time out, run on 3rd down. If you get the 1st down you can try to run again. You could even run it twice and then pass it. 3 plays instead of 1. If you don’t get the 1st down, you run the clock down to 3 secs then kick the FG.

I agree, Moiraine. I also wish it had gone that way.

Just now, Undone said:

I agree with everything you said but just have to point out that last week our staff was aggressive in trying to score 7 instead of 3 and we screwed up big time (with the same QB that was playing tonight) and we all lost our s***.

Please don't tell me that you won't even acknowledge this. This is a safe space.

They were aggressive and called a high risk play (knowing our personnel).  They didn’t have to do the latter. We especially didn’t need to do the latter tonight given how well we were running it.

and I would not call this aggressive. Saving the time out and running on 3rd down in the hopes you get 2-3 more plays and have 2 time outs is not aggressive. It’s the clear choice. Those plays can still be conservative but give a chance for a TD. 

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

You can't be serious.

Playing at home, tied, where a FG may win it, with a QB just thrown into the game vs playing on the road trailing, with a QB that took all the practice reps and was game planned for, with 3 time outs.  I'm sorry you lack certain senses to see the HUGE differences in the two situations.  And, sorry not an arm chair QB, played and then coached college ball.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

They were aggressive and called a high risk play (knowing our personnel).  They didn’t have to do the latter. We especially didn’t need to do the latter tonight given how well we were running it.

I'm not sure we were actually "running" it all that well.  Both our running backs averaged 3.8 ypc.  Not terrible but not all that great either.  Johnson had a third of his yards on one carry.  Grant had a quarter on one carry.

Our rushing stats were greatly helped by QB scrambles, which has somewhat been the case all year.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The people mad about not getting a field goal are not requiring the team to call higher risk plays in this situation. You can save the clock, then run 3 moderate to low risk plays. You can run the ball on 3rd with the plan to run out the clock on 4th down before kicking the FG. The only arguments against doing it that way are maybe we fumble it or maybe Wisconsin calls a time out at 28 secs to try to score after our FG. But that’s the most conservative way you can call it. 

The best option if your offense is shaky is save the time out, run on 3rd down. If you get the 1st down you can try to run again. You could even run it twice and then pass it. 3 plays instead of 1. If you don’t get the 1st down, you run the clock down to 3 secs then kick the FG.

Exactly the point I have been trying to make. I am not calling for passing plays or high risk plays. I was just thinking of running EJ or purdy and see what we can get and then if we get to 4th down, kick the field goal. Instead, we wasted two downs when we were getting about 5 yards per run on average on the last drive. I honestly thought we could have run for a TD with a couple more runs. Anyway, too late now. We lost yet another important close game. We really need the extra practice that comes with a bowl bid. The fact that we have not got those extra practices since 2016 is hurting us way more than we want to acknowledge. Now, it is all or nothing against Iowa. I hate seeing the smug face of my Iowa coworker when they win. Iowa fans are irritating to say the least.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

I'm sorry you lack certain senses to see the HUGE differences in the two situations.  And, sorry not an arm chair QB, played and then coached college ball.

I get it. You're taking your frustration of losing the game out on a stranger on the internet.

1st & 10 from the opponent's 12 yard line in this one. We throw on first down and it's an incompletion.

Last week, it was 1st & goal on their 7. We throw on that play for an incompletion (and obviously Rhule claimed Chubba decided to throw instead of run).

So then in this one, 7 seconds in the game from their 12. For most teams, you want to see another play, I wouldn't ever disagree with that. But, we're a bunch of complete f***-up's.

I highly doubt a run play gets into the end zone from their 12, but anything is possible. If we pass, it's pretty similar to calling the pass on 3rd & goal last week; you've got the same QB who threw a dumb pick from basically the same exact spot on the field in the same basic situation the week before. Now the stakes are lower there because it was tied whereas against Wisconsin if you don't come up with 3 points the game's over.

So yeah, the situations are similar. They're not identical, but they're similar. Coach was probably gun shy about turning it over. I wanted to see another play also, just saying that for like the third time now.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

and I would not call this aggressive. Saving the time out and running on 3rd down in the hopes you get 2-3 more plays and have 2 time outs is not aggressive. It’s the clear choice. Those plays can still be conservative but give a chance for a TD. 

the thing about your take is you say all of this in a vacuum as if we’re flawless. You’re casually ignoring the fact we have a 3rd string qb, no receivers, and a pitiful running game. 

even worse, we have a field goal kicker that no one has confidence in.

the coaches have to balance tying the game at a minimum and not put the players in a chance to f it up with a turnover, which they’ve done constantly this year. While also not giving Wisconsin time left for a response.

22 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Playing at home, tied, where a FG may win it, with a QB just thrown into the game vs playing on the road trailing, with a QB that took all the practice reps and was game planned for, with 3 time outs.  I'm sorry you lack certain senses to see the HUGE differences in the two situations.  And, sorry not an arm chair QB, played and then coached college ball.

Don’t even bother Paul. I wasted an hour of my life engaging with moraine who thinks we have a prime Peyton and all pro options across the field where any play is at our disposal.

I played college ball myself and don’t even know y I bother getting into it with someone who clearly has minimal understanding of everything going into a game. 

I feel for Rhule, too large of a % of this fan base who are going to be pissed regardless of what’s called as evidence of the reaction the last 2 weeks on here 

16 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Don’t even bother Paul. I wasted an hour of my life engaging with moraine who thinks we have a prime Peyton and all pro options across the field where any play is at our disposal.

I played college ball myself and don’t even know y I bother getting into it with someone who clearly has minimal understanding of everything going into a game. 

I feel for Rhule, too large of a % of this fan base who are going to be pissed regardless of what’s called as evidence of the reaction the last 2 weeks on here 

lol @PaulCrewe  has been making the same points as I have on the clock management and agrees with me. He is responding to Undone in the post you’re quoting.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Obviously we're all mad about this, but just to play devil's advocate: everybody was so mad about not getting the field goal last week in basically the same situation...right?

48 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Just stop moraine. Is this the first husker game you’ve watched all year. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LOW RISK PLAYS FOR THIS TEAM.

we have a qb who can’t field a snap. We have qbs who can’t execute basic read options. We have qbs who throw it right to the other team time and time again. We have receivers that when the ball is actually to them, drop it.

if we’re 10–1 entering this game and rolling I would 100% agree with you. This is the least talented husker team I’ve seen in my life. Nothing is easy for this team because our offense are all 2nd and 3rd string level guys, at best 

Just embrace the enigma, guys.  Why get upset??  Doesn't do anyone any good...

Purdy played well.  I'm pleasantly surprised about that.  So many little things, in these tight games...chubba breaks a shoestring tackle at the end, he's probably scoring a td...nick doesn't get tripped on 3rd down in OT, it's a sack and FG attempt...Lloyd runs his dig route 1 yard further down the field, it's a possible catch...FB goes the correct way on 4th and 1, maybe we get it...alvano makes the FG to end the half...etc...

We are what our record says, yes.  I just feel very different about how we got here and where we are going.  This isn't a captainless ship anymore, imo.  

Turnovers suck, and we've been good at those for a while now...losing sucks, we all agree, sure.  I'm certainly not happy right now, but I'll survive...and still cheer on my team.

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Just stop moraine. Is this the first husker game you’ve watched all year. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS LOW RISK PLAYS FOR THIS TEAM.

we have a qb who can’t field a snap. We have qbs who can’t execute basic read options. We have qbs who throw it right to the other team time and time again. We have receivers that when the ball is actually to them, drop it.

if we’re 10–1 entering this game and rolling I would 100% agree with you. This is the least talented husker team I’ve seen in my life. Nothing is easy for this team because our offense are all 2nd and 3rd string level guys, at best 

There are much lower risk plays than the one people keep pointing to when comparing this week to last (ignoring the other differences in the 2 situations).

And if that’s the case, I fail to see why going for OT is better than trying to have 2 more plays in regulation, especially on the road. 

Also, why do you keep saying you’re going to stop talking to me then keep replying and now you’ve moved on to telling me to stop? I’ll stop whenever I feel like it or am not allowed to post anymore. You can in turn do whatever you feel like, but it’s been weird so far. 

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

People were pissed when we didn't go for a chance at OT last week and tried to go for the win and then pissed this week when we killed the whole clock and sent it to overtime being conservative. Sounds a lot like just being upset about the result and then working backwards from there to decide what you "would have" done

I think people were more pissed at the playcall, but I can’t speak for everyone. 

4 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Just embrace the enigma, guys.  Why get upset??  Doesn't do anyone any good...

Purdy played well.  I'm pleasantly surprised about that.  So many little things, in these tight games...chubba breaks a shoestring tackle at the end, he's probably scoring a td...nick doesn't get tripped on 3rd down in OT, it's a sack and FG attempt...Lloyd runs his dig route 1 yard further down the field, it's a possible catch...FB goes the correct way on 4th and 1, maybe we get it...alvano makes the FG to end the half...etc...

We are what our record says, yes.  I just feel very different about how we got here and where we are going.  This isn't a captainless ship anymore, imo.  

Turnovers suck, and we've been good at those for a while now...losing sucks, we all agree, sure.  I'm certainly not happy right now, but I'll survive...and still cheer on my team.

I agree we’re better than the record. That was the case with Frost for a couple seasons also, so hopefully things will be different this time. 

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not sure we were actually "running" it all that well.  Both our running backs averaged 3.8 ypc.  Not terrible but not all that great either.  Johnson had a third of his yards on one carry.  Grant had a quarter on one carry.

Our rushing stats were greatly helped by QB scrambles, which has somewhat been the case all year.

Chances are good we would’ve gained 0 yards then done the FG. Just think we should have saved time for those.