What did we learn? Wiscy Edition

Hammerhead

Chubba Purdy is the best QB on the roster.  He made some nice throws into tight windows, and he's a lot more mobile than people gave him credit for.   He made some bad decisions,  but he still took much better care of the ball than Sims or Haarberg.

It's clear that QB wasn't the only missing piece of the puzzle.   We need to address O line and WRs, and we need Satterfield to stop forgetting that we need to address those positions. 

As good as our defense can look at times,  we're in deep trouble anytime the opposing QB isn't pressured immediately.  Our secondary just can't maintain coverage.   

There isn't a team in the country who has a better game plan for beating Nebraska than Nebraska.  Whether it's turnovers, missed field goals,  bad play-calling, or bad clock management, we still find ways to lose.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Chubba Purdy is the best QB on the roster.  He made some nice throws into tight windows, and he's a lot more mobile than people gave him credit for.   He made some bad decisions,  but he still took much better care of the ball than Sims or Haarberg.

It's clear that QB wasn't the only missing piece of the puzzle.   We need to address O line and WRs, and we need Satterfield to stop forgetting that we need to address those positions. 

As good as our defense can look at times,  we're in deep trouble anytime the opposing QB isn't pressured immediately.  Our secondary just can't maintain coverage.   

There isn't a team in the country who has a better game plan for beating Nebraska than Nebraska.  Whether it's turnovers, missed field goals,  bad play-calling, or bad clock management, we still find ways to lose.

Dude can motor, too!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Hutmacher is even more of a physical freak than I realized prior to this year.  I'd almost wrote him off.  Yeah he's a bull but it seems like he's playing well over half the snaps and still holds down the nose.   We need to find a serviceable backup to give him more rest.  Hopefully Popple develops into that guy.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

I see it as mostly a time problem. These are student athletes who have a limited amount of time to get together. We've had a ton of injuries that have forced us to play freshman and guys who wouldn't normally see as much playing time. The offense understandably lacks coordination from all the changes and it shows. I think some of the false starts were due to the linemen not being used to Chubba, who seemed to be fooling his own guys with the cadence or something. Coach Osborne had a saying about how many losses to expect when playing freshmen...I don't remember what it was, but it wasn't good....you can look it up.

Did you see that option play to start overtime? Was that the saddest option you ever saw? You guys whining about run run run, is that what you want? How about those draw plays up the middle, the pros used to do that to slow the pass rush. That's what they call running now. Add to this that we don't have a lot of game changers on the field. Our players are pretty good but our opponent's are too. There's a lot of athleticism everywhere these days. You can talk about this play or that but it seems pretty obvious that we lost the game because we only scored 3 points in 3 quarters and our defense couldn't stop a QB from running or cover a receiver to save their life.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just one would have been huge. 

I kept saying "the longer they're behind, the bigger the chance Mordecai starts screwing up." But he played a clean game and we couldn't tackle him in the backfield.

We should have converted that 4th & 1 in the second quarter and gotten more points on the board on that drive. When that didn't happen we just gave up all the momentum.

Anyway, Purdy played a really good game. 65% completion, over 100 yards running. He can rifle passes into spaces and anticipate where a guy will be open like the other two QB's cannot.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I kept saying "the longer they're behind, the bigger the chance Mordecai starts screwing up." But he played a clean game and we couldn't tackle him in the backfield.

We should have converted that 4th & 1 in the second quarter and gotten more points on the board on that drive. When that didn't happen we just gave up all the momentum.

Anyway, Purdy played a really good game. 65% completion, over 100 yards running. He can rifle passes into spaces and anticipate where a guy will be open like the other two QB's cannot.

Completely agree. I think we found our QB1, but way too late.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just one would have been huge. 

When I saw Mordecai throw an early duck into the dirt with a broken hand I was hoping this would be the night we win the turnover battle.  Last I looked we're last in Div 1 in turnovers, next to last in margin, and in the lower third in takeaways.  If we're ever going to start winning these Big Ten tossups we're going to have to turn that one aspect around.  More than anything else.

We apparently have no answer for the QB run.   The guy wasn't that athletic, but we kept whiffing.  He also had a bad hand which left him susceptible to turnovers had we gotten some decent hits.

We can't seem to find decent kickers or punters anymore. 

Apparently, our OC and head coach think the end of the game last week and this week were the same situation when they were entirely different. 

• Plus1 1