We should accept a bowl given the chance

BoSolich

13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

How would you fix those issues in one day?

Seriously.  What should the first practice of the year be structured like to fix those issues?

Can't fix them immediately, but I would have hoped to see improvement as the year went on with turnovers and terrible mental breakdowns to end games. It felt the same, or worse, in November as early in the year. That is a bit concerning given our history. I'm not panicking, but it could totally end up being a "we should have seen it earlier" moment come 2-3 years from now.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Can't fix them immediately, but I would have hoped to see improvement as the year went on with turnovers and terrible mental breakdowns to end games. It felt the same, or worse, in November as early in the year. That is a bit concerning given our history. I'm not panicking, but it could total end up being a "we should have seen it earlier" moment come 2-3 years from now.

I’m certainly not going to panic, yes. If we fired Rhule, that would be madness, and there’s zero chance that happens anyways. But the honeymoon is well and truly over, and I feel it is very justified to be very concerned at what we saw.

edit: and absolutely, if we even saw some improvement, I would have been good with that. It seemed to get WORSE.

2 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Anyone seriously saying we shouldn't go to a bowl doesn't actually care about this team getting better. 

I think that’s not fair. I get the thinking, but a bowl is a privilege, and I don’t think losing teams should have such a privilege. Six wins is all it takes now, and if you can’t even achieve that, you don’t deserve a bowl.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

4 minutes ago, presidentjlh said:

I think that’s not fair. I get the thinking, but a bowl is a privilege, and I don’t think losing teams should have such a privilege. Six wins is all it takes now, and if you can’t even achieve that, you don’t deserve a bowl.

which bowls would you say shouldn't be played if there are not enough 6 win teams?

1 minute ago, presidentjlh said:

I’ll be frank I am of the mindset that there are way too many bowls right now anyways. So if there’s not enough, I’d say yes get rid of the Car Care Turd Bowl or Mowers.com Mediocrity Bowl.

go get yourself elected grand poohbah of college football and make it happen.   

15 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Can't fix them immediately, but I would have hoped to see improvement as the year went on with turnovers and terrible mental breakdowns to end games. It felt the same, or worse, in November as early in the year. That is a bit concerning given our history. I'm not panicking, but it could totally end up being a "we should have seen it earlier" moment come 2-3 years from now.

RBs did improve in turnovers.  Actually Purdy was better too.  Penalties were much better this years than in previous.

But young/inexperienced players do tend to make more mistakes.

82 teams play in a bowl game. The bar is set at 6 wins. 6-6. That's not a high bar. I think anyone that suggests there aren't too many bowl games is not being honest about it. There are. Objectively that seems to be fact, proven by an entire methodology for letting losing teams in because of sponsors and advertisers.

Most teams lose a lot of money on the lesser bowls due to mandatory ticket buys. They have to sell travel packages to recover their "nut" and often dont, but they still have to buy a set amount of tickets regardless.

I imagine the # of bowl games is determined mostly by sponsors and revenue. It's weird to say there are too many; nobody is forced to watch any of them. Teams losing money in bowl games is a non issue; they are not forced to play in a bowl game. They can say no. There's really no problem with having more football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2