QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!

87skers

21 minutes ago, GISker said:

How much dissension will the 2,000,000 dollar QB create with our lowly 3* recruits, working the offensive line to protect the ‘Chosen One’?

I'd tell those recruits life isn't fair and welcome to modern college football. Do your job, if not for your team, for yourself.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

I will say this, Dylan doesn’t lack in confidence. It may seem scary to some, but I like that he is full of swag and drive. 

At first I was a little hmmmmm.  Then re-read and I think he is wanting to be part of something bigger than UGA.  Not just some plug and play guy.  A chance to be a part of something great and be remembered.  Like the Jet, EC and Mike. Nothing wrong with that. Cocky?  Sure. Confident?  Absolutely.  NU needs that.  Needs a playmaker who can elevate those around him.  I think he will. (Kaelin as well).  We need that swagger on the O side of the ball.  The D has it, but when was the last time that the O had that?  I'm ready for 2024!  I want a cocky gunslinger who can make the D pay for 8 in the box.  One who can drop dimes and move the ball.  And this from "run the damn ball guy".  

• Oh Yeah! 3
1 hour ago, GISker said:

How much dissension will the 2,000,000 dollar QB create with our lowly 3* recruits, working the offensive line to protect the ‘Chosen One’?

This is a non productive thought line. Even if this were to crop up which is very unlikely if you have met any of these guys, I’m thinking the coaching staff would nip that in the bud real quick

• Fire 1

49 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Can’t wait til he/we prove them wrong. F*** Georgia fans…might as well be Colorado to me now. 

Judging by the response on IG and FB I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if we start seeing Georgia trolls on here to go with our buddies from CO and IA. It’s a great day to be a Husker fan

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

The hypothetical around a 3 star offensive lineman that gets upset about how much his QB is making isn't a dumb conversation. Any college football player could decide to quit for any reason.

The question is, is NU paying at least some kind of minimum salary for all players? I'm pretty sure that we are but I can't prove that.

Assuming we are, then it's a question of whether that same player could go out and get more in the transfer portal at another school (assuming he's not quitting just because he's butthurt). The entire conversation is pretty equivalent to differing salaries in any other workplace, really.

I’ve been covering recruiting for 26 years and counting. I’ve ranked programs, players, and covered massive recruiting news forever. I could give you hundreds of examples, but there’s no need. You’re gonna have to trust me. 5 star Dylan Raiola flipping from Georgia to Nebraska is one of the biggest recruiting moments I’ve covered.

Why? It’s kind of a perfect storm. First off, Raiola is the highest-ranked player to commit to Nebraska since I’ve been doing this. OT Baker Steinkuhler was a top 10 prospect back in 2008, and RB Marlon Lucky was top 15 in 2005, but neither was as highly regarded nationally as Raiola, and neither obviously played QB. For the first time ever, Nebraska has landed a 5-star QB, which in and of itself is a big deal. Add in the legacy factor with his dad and uncle and Matt Rhule needing a massive recruiting win after a rough (but expected) first season, and you have a nice mix of buzz. But here’s the kicker — the Nebraska fan base is, by far, hands down the No. 1 most rabid fan base in college football, and a recruiting win like this allows them to win the off-season and makes up for the close losses of the past season. Close losses, I’ll add, mainly due to poor QB play.

Link

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4
21 minutes ago, Undone said:

The hypothetical around a 3 star offensive lineman that gets upset about how much his QB is making isn't a dumb conversation. Any college football player could decide to quit for any reason.

The question is, is NU paying at least some kind of minimum salary for all players? I'm pretty sure that we are but I can't prove that.

Assuming we are, then it's a question of whether that same player could go out and get more in the transfer portal at another school (assuming he's not quitting just because he's butthurt). The entire conversation is pretty equivalent to differing salaries in any other workplace, really.

Not here to say it’s dumb, but is it productive to stir the pot about it? I mean do OTs in the NFL get butt hurt about how much the star player on their team is making? I may be comparing apples to oranges here as good OT get paid pretty well. But honest question here

34 minutes ago, Undone said:

Read something today that the NCAA is looking into allowing Universities to pay athletes directly...Not sure how it would work. https://www.axios.com/2023/12/05/ncaa-student-athlete-compensation-proposal

40 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Not here to say it’s dumb, but is it productive to stir the pot about it? I mean do OTs in the NFL get butt hurt about how much the star player on their team is making? I may be comparing apples to oranges here as good OT get paid pretty well. But honest question here

I think it's fuji apples to braeburn apples. QBs get more $ and more attention in the NFL, why would it being the same in college football cause a huge problem, other than maybe the newness of it. 

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Any word on how Nebraska qb coach searching  is going?? Be nice to get Jeff Christensen but I doubt.

I'm hearing Glenn Thomas. He was Rhule's co-OC and QB coach at Baylor, and is currently with the Steelers. He'll probably get the co-OC and QB coach title here, too. Announcement probably won't come until after the NFL season ends.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!